Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nippert Stadium
Saw the Bengals play Daryl Lamonica's Raiders and John Hadl's Chargers with Lance Alworth at Nippert.  The game against the Raiders was on a very hot dry September day and we were up close.  I was 15.  The Bengals were in their black jerseys and were struggling to run the ball.  I don't recall for sure but I believe Dewey Warren was playing quarterback.

I had not really followed pro football much, but remember seeing parts of games on (black and white) TV.   It was fascinating to see men that big up close.  The field was not in good shape and there was a huge cloud of dust after every play.

I didn't know much but I was hooked.  Went as often as my step father would ask me.

Then I remember when I was selling shoes at Potter's downtown store.  Sold a pair of Stacey Adams to Tommy Cassanova.  I remember thinking that he looked too small to play pro football.   But he sure played big on the field.

I remember at Riverfront how the music between plays was this old jazz band that played Dixieland style jazz in the end zone.  The music barely wafted up into the stands.   I don't think they had cheerleaders yet...

I loved it all and loved Crosley Field.   There's such a different feel at games now - especially baseball.  Too overstimulating for me.   I liked the murmur of the crowd between the plays and the organ.  Now it's pretty much constant noise.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-24-2016, 10:48 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: Anyone old enough here, to say they saw the Bengals, and Greg Cook, play at Nippert Stadium?

Anybody old enough here, that was a Browns fan, the only Ohio team back then, BEFORE the Bengals came to town in 1968?

Yes to both questions.

I remember when the Bengals and Cook played in Nippert Stadium, but I never saw a game there.

When I was a kid Jim Brown was my sports hero. I was a Browns fan. (What did I know, I was just 11.) My Dad took my brother and me to the Bengals training camp in Wilmington, before their first year, and I became a Bengals fan.
Reply/Quote
I was 17 when the Bengals began play in 68 but never saw them play until the 90's. I've always been a fan but my family was really into the Reds and we went to see them a lot. I'm still a big Reds (and Bengals) fan. Hence my name.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-24-2016, 10:48 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: Anyone old enough here, to say they saw the Bengals, and Greg Cook, play at Nippert Stadium?

Anybody old enough here, that was a Browns fan, the only Ohio team back then, BEFORE the Bengals came to town in 1968?

I don't remember seeing Greg Cook, but I was at the Bengals 1st preseason game against the chiefs at Nippert on 8/3/68. My grandpa took me when I was 6. I still have the program from that game.
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2016, 07:26 PM)bonesaw Wrote: my Pa talks about Greg Cook like he would've been the greatest QB of all time.  He also claims to have invented the question mark.

Well, a guy named Bill Walsh agrees with your Pa.
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.
Reply/Quote