Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nirvana
So I'm sitting here watching Nirvana: Live at the Paramount.

I forgot how much these guys rock!  I graduated HS in '92', so they were huge during that time, they were like the anti-'80's.  I think people take these guys for granted and dismiss them all at the same time.  I remember how pivotal these guys were in music.  Actually I feel lucky to be part of that generation, I know my parents felt the same about being a part of the '60s'.

Lol...Dave Grohl long before he was the front man for the Foo Fighters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_awkqs7oG8
Reply/Quote
They put on one hell of a show when I saw them...
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2015, 04:07 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: They put on one hell of a show when I saw them...

I never actually got to see them live.   Really wish I had. Sad
Reply/Quote
Some of the best creativity comes from some of the most tortured souls.
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2015, 04:20 PM)Beaker Wrote: Some of the best creativity comes from some of the most tortured souls.

Yea I know a lot of people think some of those artists like Hendrix, Joplin, and Cobain are over rated, but I think if you go back and listen to it, especially the not so famous songs. You really get an appreciation for it.  At the time when Nirvana first came out, I don't think I really understood just how truly special they were.  I just knew it was different and it absolutely rocked Rock On
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2015, 04:45 PM)RICHMONDBENGAL_07 Wrote: Yea I know a lot of people think some of those artists like Hendrix, Joplin, and Cobain are over rated, but I think if you go back and listen to it, especially the not so famous songs. You really get an appreciation for it.  At the time when Nirvana first came out, I don't think I really understood just how truly special they were.  I just knew it was different and it absolutely rocked Rock On

Nirvana hahaha....  power chord power chord whine whine whine, I am a rockstar who bitc$es and shoots myself, Love me please!!!  Kurt was a self centered douchebag who ruined a lot of teenagers growing up.....  some teens killed themselves over this prick cause his tummy ached..  When I die, I am finding this piece of sh$t and punching him in the face..  

Love, the Blonde one...
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2015, 04:45 PM)RICHMONDBENGAL_07 Wrote: Yea I know a lot of people think some of those artists like Hendrix, Joplin, and Cobain are over rated, but I think if you go back and listen to it, especially the not so famous songs. You really get an appreciation for it.  At the time when Nirvana first came out, I don't think I really understood just how truly special they were.  I just knew it was different and it absolutely rocked Rock On

When they first came out, they were wearing capes and looked like the cast-off glam-rock backing band for David Bowie.  No on e understood they could be special at that time.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2015, 03:34 PM)RICHMONDBENGAL_07 Wrote: they were like the anti-'80's.

Got to disagree. Maybe 'mainstream' 80's.

I recommend the book "Our Band Could Be Your Life: Scenes From the American Indie Underground 1981-1991" by Michael Azerrad.  It shows the 80's scene that Nirvana came out of.

Reply/Quote
(08-29-2015, 09:42 PM)Donnyho Wrote: Got to disagree. Maybe 'mainstream' 80's.

I recommend the book "Our Band Could Be Your Life: Scenes From the American Indie Underground 1981-1991" by Michael Azerrad.  It shows the 80's scene that Nirvana came out of.

Yeah I understand exactly what you are saying.  Maybe I over generalized a little.  One of my fav bands RHCP came out of the early 80's and I was very aware of the American Indie Underground.  I grew up through that time period and sought out bands that weren't mainstream or "glam".   All I can say is it just felt different when they exploded on to the scene ushering in all the other "grunge" bands.
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2015, 07:50 PM)Marlon23 Wrote: Nirvana hahaha....  power chord power chord whine whine whine, I am a rockstar who bitc$es and shoots myself, Love me please!!!  Kurt was a self centered douchebag who ruined a lot of teenagers growing up.....  some teens killed themselves over this prick cause his tummy ached..  When I die, I am finding this piece of sh$t and punching him in the face..  

Love, the Blonde one...
Trust me I know he was a ****** up individual, so are a lot of "rock stars".  You may not like their music and that's fine, but they absolutely changed the music scene at the time.

Hell my mom is not a Hendrix fan, but that does nothing to refute that he absolutely changed music for ever.

But cool story bro...
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2015, 07:50 PM)Marlon23 Wrote: Nirvana hahaha....  power chord power chord whine whine whine, I am a rockstar who bitc$es and shoots myself, Love me please!!!  Kurt was a self centered douchebag who ruined a lot of teenagers growing up.....  some teens killed themselves over this prick cause his tummy ached..  When I die, I am finding this piece of sh$t and punching him in the face..  

Love, the Blonde one...

:snark:
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2015, 04:06 AM)magikod Wrote: :snark:

that's what I thought as well.
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2015, 03:01 AM)RICHMONDBENGAL_07 Wrote: Trust me I know he was a ***** up individual, so are a lot of "rock stars".  You may not like their music and that's fine, but they absolutely changed the music scene at the time.

Hell my mom is not a Hendrix fan, but that does nothing to refute that he absolutely changed music for ever.

But cool story bro...

If you think they changed music scene it is only because they were promoted out of this world by Geffen records, something that Kurt didn't want he says hahaha another joke, I don't like materialism and then he sells out more than any other rock star on the planet.  Also they were popular for sec in the realm of music and Nirvana was actually done and not that popular until he decided to shoot himself... and then they soared into popularity and that is really the only reason we know them as Nirvana today...  trust me it isn't because territorial pissings  is that great of a song..  The best music he has is on Bleach and Incesticide...  Everything the band said they stood for, they did the total opposite...  As far as changing music forever, they changed it how look at what we have now the worse music of all time, there is not a singular band that changes music forever... Not even the Beatles, progression happens when music is made, if you say Nirvana changed music forever then perhaps you need to give some credit to Killing Joke or Pixies cause perhaps....  well I will let you figure that one out..  He was just a junkie liar about his stomach aches as well, so he could be high all the time.. look at me look at me that is why he was yelling all the time, wanting attention... his problem stems from his mom and dad... not that he is a tortured gifted soul.. You pass a million and one kurt cobains panhandling all the time.. excluding they can play A: PowerCHORD PowerCHORD Whine Whine, we need some More WHINING In there for the teens Kurt......  That's better............  If this douche could dribble a basketball the 90's wouldn't have been so depressing.....  What a greasy TOOL....................... 

Love, The Blonde One.
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2015, 08:24 AM)Marlon23 Wrote: If you think they changed music scene it is only because they were promoted out of this world by Geffen records, something that Kurt didn't want he says hahaha another joke, I don't like materialism and then he sells out more than any other rock star on the planet.  Also they were popular for sec in the realm of music and Nirvana was actually done and not that popular until he decided to shoot himself... and then they soared into popularity and that is really the only reason we know them as Nirvana today...  trust me it isn't because territorial pissings  is that great of a song..  The best music he has is on Bleach and Incesticide...  Everything the band said they stood for, they did the total opposite...  As far as changing music forever, they changed it how look at what we have now the worse music of all time, there is not a singular band that changes music forever... Not even the Beatles, progression happens when music is made, if you say Nirvana changed music forever then perhaps you need to give some credit to Killing Joke or Pixies cause perhaps....  well I will let you figure that one out..  He was just a junkie liar about his stomach aches as well, so he could be high all the time..  look at me look at me that is why he was yelling all the time, wanting attention... his problem stems from his mom and dad...  not that he is a tortured gifted soul..  You pass a million and one kurt cobains panhandling all the time..  excluding they can play A:  PowerCHORD PowerCHORD Whine Whine, we need some More WHINING In there for the teens Kurt......  That's better............  If this douche could dribble a basketball the 90's wouldn't have been so depressing.....  What a greasy TOOL....................... 

Love, The Blonde One.

I have to agree with this, on a basic level. Nirvana (even though they're a good band, not saying they aren't) wrote pop songs. "Nevermind" is one of the best pop albums of all time. And "pop" isn't a dirty word. Cobain took punk and underground 80's rock, ran it through a pop filter and came out with classic songs. I mean, 'Smells Like Teen Spirit" is pretty much (musically) Boston's 'More Than a Feeling':

Also, Kurt Cobain was much better looking than his influences. Here's the Pixies sometime in the late 80's/early 90's. Lead singer Frank Black is in front:
[Image: 7eeb4ea5.jpg]

I don't think teenage girls are going to hang his picture on their walls.

Nirvana was the perfect band for the industry to run through the machine. There's nothing wrong with it, but I think that their influence was much more culturally as a whole than musically.
Reply/Quote
I'm not gonna crap on people who think Kurt or Nirvana were something special because that is their opinion.

Music should be a personal release. 

If it does it for you.  It does it for YOU.

It's when people start measuring certain musicians up against others is when you start to get into that gray area.

As a guitar player I had read numerous times when Kurt's guitar playing has been put in the top 10 of guitarists of all time.

This is ridiculous especially when being placed above the likes of Eddie Van Halen and Jimmy Page. 

Hell I'm pretty much convinced that Dave Grohl is a better guitarist than Kurt.  Maybe even a better singer too.

I do think it's odd that Kurt was "the tortured soul" yet Layne from AIC is nothing but a forgotten druggie coming from the same scene.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2015, 10:09 AM)BengalsRocker Wrote: I'm not gonna crap on people who think Kurt or Nirvana were something special because that is their opinion.

Music should be a personal release. 

If it does it for you.  It does it for YOU.

It's when people start measuring certain musicians up against others is when you start to get into that gray area.

As a guitar player I had read numerous times when Kurt's guitar playing has been put in the top 10 of guitarists of all time.

This is ridiculous especially when being placed above the likes of Eddie Van Halen and Jimmy Page. 

Hell I'm pretty much convinced that Dave Grohl is a better guitarist than Kurt.  Maybe even a better singer too.

I do think it's odd that Kurt was "the tortured soul" yet Layne from AIC is nothing but a forgotten druggie coming from the same scene.

Yes, which is not what I am doing but for the most part people put Kurt on a pedestal,  cause the Kurt Cobain we know would not exist if he was not dead...  Society in America Loves to do this, in all reality he shouldn't be in the Hall of Fame he Should be in the Hall of that is shame, self centered prick kill myself cause I am not being true to the music, Oh F Me...  whatever you little douche he should be saying I have a daughter to think about, but it was all about him, Him and Courtney both belonged to each other craving attention Whores of Society no better than the Kardashians of society now, they just covered up with Grease, and Flannel...  and a lot of Bit$ching....  which makes them tortured SOULS...  BS.....  Frances is turning out to be pretty Awesome compared to her parents Good for her. 

The Blonde One...
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2015, 09:51 AM)Donnyho Wrote: I have to agree with this, on a basic level. Nirvana (even though they're a good band, not saying they aren't) wrote pop songs. "Nevermind" is one of the best pop albums of all time. And "pop" isn't a dirty word. Cobain took punk and underground 80's rock, ran it through a pop filter and came out with classic songs. I mean, 'Smells Like Teen Spirit" is pretty much (musically) Boston's 'More Than a Feeling':

Also, Kurt Cobain was much better looking than his influences. Here's the Pixies sometime in the late 80's/early 90's. Lead singer Frank Black is in front:
[Image: 7eeb4ea5.jpg]

I don't think teenage girls are going to hang his picture on their walls.

Nirvana was the perfect band for the industry to run through the machine. There's nothing wrong with it, but I think that their influence was much more culturally as a whole than musically.
Beautiful, Post man..  And to the OP I know you are stating they rocked and this thread has spawn into way more, but I am expressing my feelings on this topic just because Kurdt Kobain..  really is not what people perceive him to be.  Perpetual douche after Mainstream, Matter of fact go listen to not his main albums and find some recordings before they were edited, and when it was him with a guitar and in the garage as they say I guarantee you I can go walk down the street and find better musicians in my neighbor hood....  GUARANTEED...  He is a liar I don't want to be like a ROCK STAR that is exactly what he wanted little liar...  packaged and assembled down the line.... 
The Blonde One.
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2015, 10:23 AM)Marlon23 Wrote: Yes, which is not what I am doing but for the most part people put Kurt on a pedestal,  cause the Kurt Cobain we know would not exist if he was not dead...  Society in America Loves to do this, in all reality he shouldn't be in the Hall of Fame he Should be in the Hall of that is shame, self centered prick kill myself cause I am not being true to the music, Oh F Me...  whatever you little douche he should be saying I have a daughter to think about, but it was all about him, Him and Courtney both belonged to each other craving attention Whores of Society no better than the Kardashians of society now, they just covered up with Grease, and Flannel...  and a lot of Bit$ching....  which makes them tortured SOULS...  BS.....  Frances is turning out to be pretty Awesome compared to her parents Good for her. 

The Blonde One...

Did Cobain bang your gf or something. There seems to be some seething hatred there.
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2015, 12:06 PM)Beaker Wrote: Did Cobain bang your gf or something. There seems to be some seething hatred there.

Yes. 
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2015, 10:23 AM)Marlon23 Wrote:  Him and Courtney both belonged to each other craving attention Whores of Society no better than the Kardashians of society now, they just covered up with Grease, and Flannel...  and a lot of Bit$ching....  which makes them tortured SOULS...

My tortured souls comment applies to many entertainers, not just musicians...just look at Robin Williams as another example. Extremely creative....but also, as we found out after his suicide, extremely tortured. Chris Farley and John Belushi, essentially suicide via drugs. The list goes on beyond musicians. Just an out loud observation about an aspect of life.
Reply/Quote