Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nirvana
(09-28-2016, 01:28 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Funny this thread was ressurected, as I was just listening to some Nirvana for the first time in a couple years or so. I still like some of the b sides and songs that weren't constantly played on the radio, such as...

Sappy
Even in His Youth
Dive (sounds great through a system)
Drain You
D7
Here She Comes Now
You Know You're Right
Etc

I personally think Cobain had an excellent voice when he was in the right mood. More specifically, I should say he had a decent voice and a very unique (and awesome) scream for rock music.

I lived in Seattle prior to the surge of Nirvana.

Most of the "bigs" in town were AIC, Soundgarden, Pearl Jam (who was Mookie Blaylock for a short time)and preceeded by Mother Love Bone/Green River.

Nirvana really wasn't the band people buzzed about in Seattle.

AIC busted their asses off and everyone knew it.

They played everywhere.

Funny you mentioned "the other singer" in Goo Goo Dolls, referring to Rzeznik's raw higher pitched vocals.

I remember when Goo Goo Dolls were a strictly pop punk with a Cheap Trick kinda vibe type band.

They were playing the OK Hotel right along shows billed with Nirvana.

I was more into heavier stuff like Sanctuary, Metal Church, and Queensryche by the way.

My one vivid memory from Seattle was walking into a music store and hearing this guy cranking on a Marshall.

I asked the music store employees why this guy was playing terribly and so loud.

He said to me "That's the guitar player from Mudhoney"...  pfffft.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(09-28-2016, 02:12 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: I lived in Seattle prior to the surge of Nirvana.

Most of the "bigs" in town were AIC, Soundgarden, Pearl Jam (who was Mookie Blaylock for a short time)and preceeded by Mother Love Bone/Green River.

Nirvana really wasn't the band people buzzed about in Seattle.

AIC busted their asses off and everyone knew it.

They played everywhere.

Funny you mentioned "the other singer" in Goo Goo Dolls, referring to Rzeznik's raw higher pitched vocals.

I remember when Goo Goo Dolls were a strictly pop punk with a Cheap Trick kinda vibe type band.

They were playing the OK Hotel right along shows billed with Nirvana.

I was more into heavier stuff like Sanctuary, Metal Church, and Queensryche by the way.

My one vivid memory from Seattle was walking into a music store and hearing this guy cranking on a Marshall.

I asked the music store employees why this guy was playing terribly and so loud.

He said to me "That's the guitar player from Mudhoney"...  pfffft.

Yeah Nirvana was actually a little late to that scene. You had guys like Soundgarden and MLB already signed to Sub Pop while Nirvana was scrounging together $600 for a demo CD. Kurt was actually a fan of those bands before they "sold out" and went major label. Ironic considering he did the exact same thing.

You're right about Goo being kind of a punk band initially. Makes their name make more sense. Rzeznik actually didn't sing at all initially. Their bass player sang and wrote all songs (Robby Takac). Through the years, Goo started to split between Rzeznik and Takac as far as songwriting and singing.

If you listen to A Boy Named Goo (which featured "Name"), it was almost exactly 50% Rzeznik songs with him singing and 50% Takac songs with him singing. By the time Dizzy Up the Girl came out, Rzeznik was pretty much in full control of the band, with Takac only writing/singing a small hand full of songs. 

A lot of folks never realized Goo had another singer/writer because only Rzeznik's songs ever make the radio. The other singer has a vastly different voice and style. I'll post a video of one of his songs soon if I can from this phone.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote

The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Now compare that voice to Steal My Sunshine:

Reply/Quote
I guess I should've looked more closely at who did what. LOL

I just assumed Rzeznik mixed up his vocal style.

I'd seen the bassist sing but mostly back ups in vids.
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2015, 10:09 AM)BengalsRocker Wrote: I'm not gonna crap on people who think Kurt or Nirvana were something special because that is their opinion.

Music should be a personal release. 

If it does it for you.  It does it for YOU.

It's when people start measuring certain musicians up against others is when you start to get into that gray area.

As a guitar player I had read numerous times when Kurt's guitar playing has been put in the top 10 of guitarists of all time.

This is ridiculous especially when being placed above the likes of Eddie Van Halen and Jimmy Page. 

Hell I'm pretty much convinced that Dave Grohl is a better guitarist than Kurt.  Maybe even a better singer too.

I do think it's odd that Kurt was "the tortured soul" yet Layne from AIC is nothing but a forgotten druggie coming from the same scene.

Alice in Chains was FAR superior to Nirvana.....and Pearl Jam, for that matter.  Through in Soundgarden and Stone Temple Pilots for good measure.  Nirvana sucked.  Pearl Jam was vastly overrated.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2016, 11:31 AM)Wyche Wrote: Alice in Chains was FAR superior to Nirvana.....and Pearl Jam, for that matter.  Through in Soundgarden and Stone Temple Pilots for good measure.  Nirvana sucked.  Pearl Jam was vastly overrated.

If you're talking purely about guitar playing ability, I agree 100%. Kurt wasn't very skilled and most of his songs are really easy to play. 

If you're talking about ability to write catchy songs that appeal to the masses, I'd have to disagree. Kurt was a brilliant song writer. Fwiw, I think Novaselic and Grohl were very talented as well.

Skill wise, I'll go...

1. Pearl Jam (guitar players were heavily influenced by Hendrix)
2. Toss up between Soundgarden and AIC
3. STP
4. Many other bands
5. Nirvana

Ability to write quality songs...

1. Nirvana
2. Pearl Jam
3. STP
4. AIC
5. Soungarden

They were all really good. The daddy didn't love me shtick of the 1990's definitely got old though. Btw, even though Seether came later, feel they deserve mention. Bands like Shinedown and Crossfade were pretty good post grunge bands as well.
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2016, 12:01 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: If you're talking purely about guitar playing ability, I agree 100%. Kurt wasn't very skilled and most of his songs are really easy to play. 

If you're talking about ability to write catchy songs that appeal to the masses, I'd have to disagree. Kurt was a brilliant song writer. Fwiw, I think Novaselic and Grohl were very talented as well.

Skill wise, I'll go...

1. Pearl Jam (guitar players were heavily influenced by Hendrix)
2. Toss up between Soundgarden and AIC
3. STP
4. Many other bands
5. Nirvana

Ability to write quality songs...

1. Nirvana
2. Pearl Jam
3. STP
4. AIC
5. Soungarden

They were all really good. The daddy didn't love me shtick of the 1990's definitely got old though. Btw, even though Seether came later, feel they deserve mention. Bands like Shinedown and Crossfade were pretty good post grunge bands as well.

I'm just not into pop music, be it rock, country, hip hop, what have you.  I like deeper lyrics, and musicianship.  Perhaps that is why Nirvana never appealed to me in any manner whatsoever.  I just couldn't stand Eddie Vedder....lol....but they were better than Nirvana, NIN, STP, AiC, Soundgarden, RHCP, Tool, Primus, Jane's Addiction, I mean SO MANY bands from that era were just better.  I just never understood it.

FWIW, I hold AiC in high esteem, because I caught them in Louisville not long before Layne Staley passsed away. They were one of the best live acts I've ever seen.

Reply/Quote
(10-04-2016, 12:42 PM)Wyche Wrote: I'm just not into pop music, be it rock, country, hip hop, what have you.  I like deeper lyrics, and musicianship.  Perhaps that is why Nirvana never appealed to me in any manner whatsoever.  I just couldn't stand Eddie Vedder....lol....but they were better than Nirvana, NIN, STP, AiC, Soundgarden, RHCP, Tool, Primus, Jane's Addiction, I mean SO MANY bands from that era were just better.  I just never understood it.

FWIW, I hold AiC in high esteem, because I caught them in Louisville not long before Layne Staley passsed away.  They were one of the best live acts I've ever seen.

The funny thing about Seattlle back in the late 80s entering into the 90s is the presence of glam rock.

You wouldn't think it was even there as the town was stamped "grunge".

It was there.  I know.  I was there.

AIC used to be a glam rock band.  They were Alice n' Chains. My Sister's Machine spun off out of that.

I remember hearing Cantrell's previous band called Diamond Lie before Layne joined.  I thought they were a Christian metal band.  LOL

Check out videos from the sidebar on Youtube of this terrible but enlightening video.  Pretty interesting if you didn't know.

There was a pretty popular local glam band called Bathtub Gin for a while. 

All these bands played bars but rented out music halls to have shows too.

I remember seeing Candlebox on a public access show playing at The Crocodile.  Those guys could actually play!  Very good guitars.  Too many people want to trash on them.  I never understood why.

Sweetwater and Paisley Sin were other local bands that were popular but never quite made it. 

War Babies were glam too which briefly had Jeff Ament from Mother Love Bone who went on to play bass in Pearl Jam.

Fifth Angel was a damn good straightforward hard rock band band that got overlooked.  Guitarist incorporated Schenker/Jake E Lee/George Lynch style riffs and solos.

It was such a shame that they got Terry Brown(of Rush fame)to produce their album and got no push after it was released.

Howard Stern used one of their songs on his first TV show. 

I myself tried to get the singer from them to come out of retirement after being dumped from their label.  He was finishing his medical degree, so he was done playing in bands.  He's now a dentist. LMAO

One of my best friends from Seattle played with James Byrd of the first inception of Fifth Angel and also was friends with Jeff Loomis from Nevermore.

Q5 was another hard rock band that was a local fav in the 80s before grunge hit. 

Floyd Rose was in that band.  Yes, the famous whammy bar inventor guy. LOL
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2016, 12:42 PM)Wyche Wrote: I'm just not into pop music, be it rock, country, hip hop, what have you.  I like deeper lyrics, and musicianship.  Perhaps that is why Nirvana never appealed to me in any manner whatsoever.  I just couldn't stand Eddie Vedder....lol....but they were better than Nirvana, NIN, STP, AiC, Soundgarden, RHCP, Tool, Primus, Jane's Addiction, I mean SO MANY bands from that era were just better.  I just never understood it.

FWIW, I hold AiC in high esteem, because I caught them in Louisville not long before Layne Staley passsed away.  They were one of the best live acts I've ever seen.

I feel ya, but I just have an eclectic taste in music. I'm also not generally into most pop music, although I guess the more popular Nirvana tunes were just heavily distorted ear candy. I used to find their music interesting because of the variety of it. Saying no 2 Nirvana tunes sounded alike might be a bit strong, but there was definitely variety.

I love Pearl Jam. Not a fan of Vedder's spiel, but love his voice. Plus - unlike Nirvana - I find myself listening to each individual instrument rather than just the song if that makes sense. Loved the first 5 albums, but they started to lose me after Yield (which was a fine effort btw).

Also loved STP. Those guys put out entire albums that rocked all the way through.

7 Mary 3 was a good one we haven't mentioned. Also was a big fan of Live.
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2016, 01:33 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I feel ya, but I just have an eclectic taste in music. I'm also not generally into most pop music, although I guess the more popular Nirvana tunes were just heavily distorted ear candy. I used to find their music interesting because of the variety of it. Saying no 2 Nirvana tunes sounded alike might be a bit strong, but there was definitely variety.

I love Pearl Jam. Not a fan of Vedder's spiel, but love his voice. Plus - unlike Nirvana - I find myself listening to each individual instrument rather than just the song if that makes sense. Loved the first 5 albums, but they started to lose me after Yield (which was a fine effort btw).

Also loved STP. Those guys put out entire albums that rocked all the way through.

7 Mary 3 was a good one we haven't mentioned. Also was a big fan of Live.

Yeah, if I am looking for simplicity, I want it in it's rawest form....the blues.  Although, some of those blues guys from the electric Chicago scene were/are far from simple, save for the lyrics.  Love listening to some Buddy Guy, John Lee Hooker, Magic Sam, or Earl Hooker wailing with the wah-wah pedal.  Now THAT'S gold.

My tastes are rather eclectic too....old school hip hop, Memphis/Motown soul, funk, some 70's disco, some R & B, blues, classic (honky tonk) and outlaw country, heavy metal, hard rock, southern rock, prog rock, some punk, guys from the 50s like Jerry Lee Lewis, Chuck Berry, Carl Perkins, the two bands with their own genres: The Floyd and The Dead, bluegrass, Texas swing, really about all of it but poppy stuff (pop country being the worst) and most classical.

Reply/Quote
(09-01-2015, 12:59 PM)RICHMONDBENGAL_07 Wrote: Glad I could entertain you. Rock On

[Image: f1e9d263f7c088d3ff1f646d12df9f34.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Alice in Chains is my favorite of the grunge era. But Nirvana comes in second, they really knew how to put on a great live show, so much energy.
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote
(04-10-2017, 04:28 PM)magikod Wrote: Alice in Chains is my favorite of the grunge era. But Nirvana comes in second, they really knew how to put on a great live show, so much energy.

Where did you see them live?  Did Kurt look really small?
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2016, 11:31 AM)Wyche Wrote: Alice in Chains was FAR superior to Nirvana.....and Pearl Jam, for that matter.  Through in Soundgarden and Stone Temple Pilots for good measure.  Nirvana sucked.  Pearl Jam was vastly overrated.

I agree Layne Staley is my favorite vocalist of all time. But don't give Nirvana shit, Kurt was an amazing song writer and a unique vocalist to say the least.

Kurt had the best scream in all of rock n roll in my opinion. 

In my opinion the whole grunge era was based loosely on the old blues mixed with distortion. but you could say that for every era of music (besides maybe the 80s lol)
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2017, 09:48 PM)magikod Wrote: I agree Layne Staley is my favorite vocalist of all time. But don't give Nirvana shit, Kurt was an amazing song writer and a unique vocalist to say the least.

Kurt had the best scream in all of rock n roll in my opinion. 

In my opinion the whole grunge era was based loosely on the old blues mixed with distortion. but you could say that for every era of music (besides maybe the 80s lol)

Just never got the fascination I guess.  Grunge never entailed the solo work that the blues masters belted out.  Although...I guess a case could be made for a similarity to early delta blues sounds.  I always fancied it a revisit to punk in some ways.

Reply/Quote
(08-30-2015, 10:09 AM)BengalsRocker Wrote: I do think it's odd that Kurt was "the tortured soul" yet Layne from AIC is nothing but a forgotten druggie coming from the same scene.

That's because Nirvana's music was widely popular, thus Kurt is a Hero who killed himself too early, yet Layne is just a druggie.  AIC's music was far better, and personally I have always thought Layne was a far better singer.  However, with that said, Nirvana made good music.  Can't deny it.

Reply/Quote

Jane's may be one of the most under appreciated bands of the era.  They really laid the groundwork for those bands becoming viable.  On top of that, they were all really ***** good at what they did.  Their catalog was small by the time their prime incarnation disbanded, but all of the material was excellent and different from what others were doing at the time.  

I read that Tom Morello said something to the effect that Jane's deserved much of the credit that Nirvana got for "changing" rock, and I largely agree.  They weren't posturing about not wanting to be rock stars.  They absolutely did, they just wanted to do it on their terms.  

For my money, there's not a better rock song than "Three Days".  

Their downfall came at the hands of a voracious appetite for drugs and intense hatred for each other.  If things had been a little different, I thing they'd have produced a lot more really good music.  They've released stuff since, but it's not the same.  Perry is a caricature of himself.  He's probably cool with it though, because he's done as well as anyone from that era for himself.
Reply/Quote
I just don't see why people think Kurt Cobain is so cool. Just look at him.

[Image: spade1.jpg]
Reply/Quote