Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nirvana
(08-30-2015, 12:12 PM)Beaker Wrote: My tortured souls comment applies to many entertainers, not just musicians...just look at Robin Williams as another example. Extremely creative....but also, as we found out after his suicide, extremely tortured. Chris Farley and John Belushi, essentially suicide via drugs. The list goes on beyond musicians. Just an out loud observation about an aspect of life.
Tortured Souls hahaha  more like drug users, tortured souls check out those who work 60 hours a week making ends meet, I guess we all are special tortured little souls... America just emphasizes these tortured souls a little much and put them on high grounds that are not warranted...  You can think what you want but there is more talent that do not clamor for the lime light that grow old in comparison to these narcissist pieces of shi@s..

but hey we all go back "into the dirt.."
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2015, 04:45 PM)RICHMONDBENGAL_07 Wrote: Yea I know a lot of people think some of those artists like Hendrix, Joplin, and Cobain are over rated, but I think if you go back and listen to it, especially the not so famous songs. You really get an appreciation for it.  At the time when Nirvana first came out, I don't think I really understood just how truly special they were.  I just knew it was different and it absolutely rocked Rock On
They just hit at the right time.  It's funny how there is a narrative that formed that they came out of nowhere with a new sound, and put an end to 80s hair bands.  Except that they toiled in obscurity for years, and were heavily influenced by bands like Sonic Youth, the Pixies, and REM.  They studied that Pixie quiet, loud, quiet songwriting formula https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMHykYTomdo very well.  I'm not knocking them by any means.  They made some great music, and Dave Grohl has never stopped.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2015, 10:09 AM)BengalsRocker Wrote: I'm not gonna crap on people who think Kurt or Nirvana were something special because that is their opinion.

Music should be a personal release. 

If it does it for you.  It does it for YOU.

It's when people start measuring certain musicians up against others is when you start to get into that gray area.

As a guitar player I had read numerous times when Kurt's guitar playing has been put in the top 10 of guitarists of all time.

This is ridiculous especially when being placed above the likes of Eddie Van Halen and Jimmy Page. 

Hell I'm pretty much convinced that Dave Grohl is a better guitarist than Kurt.  Maybe even a better singer too.

I do think it's odd that Kurt was "the tortured soul" yet Layne from AIC is nothing but a forgotten druggie coming from the same scene.

He is...  They had to bring in Pat Smear because Kurt couldn't do it (the 3 piece band thing) live.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2015, 08:24 AM)Marlon23 Wrote: If you think they changed music scene it is only because they were promoted out of this world by Geffen records, something that Kurt didn't want he says hahaha another joke, I don't like materialism and then he sells out more than any other rock star on the planet.  Also they were popular for sec in the realm of music and Nirvana was actually done and not that popular until he decided to shoot himself... and then they soared into popularity and that is really the only reason we know them as Nirvana today...  trust me it isn't because territorial pissings  is that great of a song..  The best music he has is on Bleach and Incesticide...  Everything the band said they stood for, they did the total opposite...  As far as changing music forever, they changed it how look at what we have now the worse music of all time, there is not a singular band that changes music forever... Not even the Beatles, progression happens when music is made, if you say Nirvana changed music forever then perhaps you need to give some credit to Killing Joke or Pixies cause perhaps....  well I will let you figure that one out..  He was just a junkie liar about his stomach aches as well, so he could be high all the time..  look at me look at me that is why he was yelling all the time, wanting attention... his problem stems from his mom and dad...  not that he is a tortured gifted soul..  You pass a million and one kurt cobains panhandling all the time..  excluding they can play A:  PowerCHORD PowerCHORD Whine Whine, we need some More WHINING In there for the teens Kurt......  That's better............  If this douche could dribble a basketball the 90's wouldn't have been so depressing.....  What a greasy TOOL....................... 

Love, The Blonde One.

Did you ever take an English class?  I'm not usually a grammar Nazi, but holy shit reading through what you call a post was painful.  It's fine if you don't like their music you don't have to be a prick though. Unless of course that is your intent, because you're the internet tough guy.

I agree with beaker on this, it's like the guy slept with your girl or something.

As for the 90's being depressing? Nope, I had a great time.  BTW curious as to how old you are?
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2015, 02:18 PM)RICHMONDBENGAL_07 Wrote: Did you ever take an English class?  I'm not usually a grammar Nazi, but holy shit reading through what you call a post was painful.  It's fine if you don't like their music you don't have to be a prick though. Unless of course that is your intent, because you're the internet tough guy.

I agree with beaker on this, it's like the guy slept with your girl or something.

As for the 90's being depressing? Nope, I had a great time.  BTW curious as to how old you are?

I am an English Teacher...   
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2015, 09:51 AM)Donnyho Wrote: I have to agree with this, on a basic level. Nirvana (even though they're a good band, not saying they aren't) wrote pop songs. "Nevermind" is one of the best pop albums of all time. And "pop" isn't a dirty word. Cobain took punk and underground 80's rock, ran it through a pop filter and came out with classic songs. I mean, 'Smells Like Teen Spirit" is pretty much (musically) Boston's 'More Than a Feeling':

Also, Kurt Cobain was much better looking than his influences. Here's the Pixies sometime in the late 80's/early 90's. Lead singer Frank Black is in front:
[Image: 7eeb4ea5.jpg]

I don't think teenage girls are going to hang his picture on their walls.

Nirvana was the perfect band for the industry to run through the machine. There's nothing wrong with it, but I think that their influence was much more culturally as a whole than musically.

I can buy that.  I'm not even a huge Nirvana fan, I just remember when they came out it was huge.  Now that being said.  Like most artist, it was their less famous work that I was a fan of.

Anyway I was just youtubing around when I came across the paramount concert that I posted.
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2015, 02:25 PM)Marlon23 Wrote: I am an English Teacher...   

I weep for our youth Cry
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2015, 02:30 PM)RICHMONDBENGAL_07 Wrote: I weep for our youth Cry

Tough guy I am not I am speaking my opinion....  simple as that..  You are the one sending negative comments towards me.  Making the comment that the OP was just saying they rocked... I am sure their intent was not to get this much of a response or this type of response.
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2015, 01:28 PM)jason Wrote: He is...  They had to bring in Pat Smear because Kurt couldn't do it (the 3 piece band thing) live.

I wonder how big Foo Fighters would have been if Dave was not part of Nirvana.... They are really good.. wondering how long their career would have lasted if he was not part of Nirvana...
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2015, 02:48 PM)Marlon23 Wrote: Tough guy I am not I am speaking my opinion....  simple as that..  You are the one sending negative comments towards me.  Making the comment that the OP was just saying they rocked...  I am sure their intent was not to get this much of a response or this type of response.

You responded to my posts and therefore to me... I AM THE OP.   They did rock, if you don't like them or their music that's fine, I don't care.  You got shitty with my post so I got shitty with yours.

Don't act offended when you were the one coming off as offensive.

Like Bengalrocker said, "music is a personal journey",  and they were part of my journey back in the day.  I already agreed with you though that Kurt was a ****** up individual for sure. 
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2015, 03:02 PM)RICHMONDBENGAL_07 Wrote: You responded to my posts and therefore to me... I AM THE OP.   They did rock, if you don't like them or their music that's fine, I don't care.  You got shitty with my post so I got shitty with yours.

Don't act offended when you were the one coming off as offensive.

Like Bengalrocker said, "music is a personal journey",  and they were part of my journey back in the day.  I already agreed with you though that Kurt was a ***** up individual for sure. 

I spoke my opinion about Kurt Cobain.  Everything I stated was about him.   I did not state anything about you directly, unlike your comments to me.  You are the one who got personal, frankly it is ok if you like Cyndi Lauper, or Journey, doesn't matter it is Great!!  I have my reasons the way I feel about Mr. Cobain.  Trust me, nothing I typed here that he does not know himself to be true..  when the bastard was breathing. 

The Blonde One.
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2015, 02:56 PM)Marlon23 Wrote: I wonder how big Foo Fighters would have been if Dave was not part of Nirvana.... They are really good.. wondering how long their career would have lasted if he was not part of Nirvana...

That's a really big hypothetical question.  The Foos are really good, but I tend to believe that if you change one ingredient then you've got a whole other product.  I like the original better.
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2015, 03:12 PM)Marlon23 Wrote: I spoke my opinion about Kurt Cobain.  Everything I stated was about him.   I did not state anything about you directly, unlike your comments to me.  You are the one who got personal, frankly it is ok if you like Cyndi Lauper, or Journey, doesn't matter it is Great!!  I have my reasons the way I feel about Mr. Cobain.  Trust me, nothing I typed here that he does not know himself to be true..  when the bastard was breathing. 

The Blonde One.

And it's fine if you have reasons for not liking Kurt, and it's fine if you don't like their music.  But you did come off like a dick.  I did not seek you out, you responded to my post in a dick like manner.  Frankly I don't care if you like the music that I like.   Don't get mad, when you started this.
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2015, 02:56 PM)Marlon23 Wrote: I wonder how big Foo Fighters would have been if Dave was not part of Nirvana.... They are really good.. wondering how long their career would have lasted if he was not part of Nirvana...

(08-30-2015, 03:51 PM)RICHMONDBENGAL_07 Wrote: That's a really big hypothetical question.  The Foos are really good, but I tend to believe that if you change one ingredient then you've got a whole other product.  I like the original better.

Really the thing that kept Nirvana relevant before Kurt's suicide was that the lyrics were controversial.

Foo Fighters, though having Dave at the helm and Smear involved, it had no resemblance to the predecessor.

So it had the drummer from Nirvana in it.  Big whoop.  That got it off the ground but talent had to keep it flyin'.

I actually like some of the influences that Grohl shows in his writing.  Much more melodic even when aggressive more-so than Nirvana ever was.

Has it become somewhat vanilla over time?  Yes, and I would agree the fact that Dave "is who he is" keeps it on the airwaves and TV.

Though if you pay closer attention to Grohl he figured out the music industry. 

He's always active within several different genres.  Still does the radio and TV pimping.  He seems to be always working.  Networking really.

Lastly the guy is comical and has a sense of humor.

It's a terrible thing to say but I just couldn't see Dave sticking it out with Nirvana long haul just from his personality alone.

Kurt choosing to "bow out" was probably the best thing to happen to him and his career.  So sue me for that blasphemous statement. LOL
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Cobain is kinda like Bob Dylan and Kris Kristopherson.
Good writers.
Okay musicians.
Crappy singers.
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2015, 12:12 PM)Beaker Wrote: My tortured souls comment applies to many entertainers, not just musicians...just look at Robin Williams as another example. Extremely creative....but also, as we found out after his suicide, extremely tortured. Chris Farley and John Belushi, essentially suicide via drugs. The list goes on beyond musicians. Just an out loud observation about an aspect of life.

(08-30-2015, 12:37 PM)Marlon23 Wrote: Tortured Souls hahaha  more like drug users, tortured souls check out those who work 60 hours a week making ends meet, I guess we all are special tortured little souls... America just emphasizes these tortured souls a little much and put them on high grounds that are not warranted...  You can think what you want but there is more talent that do not clamor for the lime light that grow old in comparison to these narcissist pieces of shi@s..

but hey we all go back "into the dirt.."

I think anyone who falls into the "tortured souls" category famous or not should be taken to parts of the world where starvation and murder are everyday common occurrences.

People really do need to get over themselves.

There are far worse hardships than having too much fame/fortune.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2015, 03:59 PM)RICHMONDBENGAL_07 Wrote: And it's fine if you have reasons for not liking Kurt, and it's fine if you don't like their music.  But you did come off like a dick.  I did not seek you out, you responded to my post in a dick like manner.  Frankly I don't care if you like the music that I like.   Don't get mad, when you started this.

Not mad, I started nothing you started the thread, I responded Kurt is a self centered prick.  Who like always America sucks the tit off of trying to make him into some God Like Rock Star after the guy kills himself and then we say he is a genius of some sort but in reality he probably should have had his butt whooped by his dad for spray painting public property...  What a bogus looser this douche was... Not saying you were doing this just saying... my feelings towards Mr. Cobain.
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2015, 04:41 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: I think anyone who falls into the "tortured souls" category famous or not should be taken to parts of the world where starvation and murder are everyday common occurrences.

People really do need to get over themselves.

There are far worse hardships than having too much fame/fortune.

Yes BengalsROCK YOU JUST ROCKED MORE THAN NIRVANA EVER DID... WITH THIS COMMENT.  Tortured souls, we have Kurt Cobain's all over the place if we are saying they are special cause they are tortured souls..  Except they don't have Verse Chorus Verse... 
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2015, 04:38 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Cobain is kinda like Bob Dylan and Kris Kristopherson.
Good writers.
Okay musicians.
Crappy singers.

Crappy Singers?  Dude can sing..........  don't get me wrong here... LOL.
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2015, 03:51 PM)RICHMONDBENGAL_07 Wrote: That's a really big hypothetical question.  The Foos are really good, but I tend to believe that if you change one ingredient then you've got a whole other product.  I like the original better.

I really think Dave is cool, but I don't think they would have the success, I would almost go out on the limb and say they would not be nearly has popular if he did not have Nirvana first.. but they are good... for sure..
Reply/Quote