Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
No Amazon HQ in NY
Tough loss for NY. Not only are people and businesses fleeing that State in droves, due to their liberal policies, but the politicians are running off the best thing to happen to them, before they even break ground.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/amazon-cancels-plans-to-build-headquarters-in-new-york/ar-BBTAJaa?ocid=spartanntp
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
(02-14-2019, 02:18 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Tough loss for NY.  Not only are people and businesses fleeing that State in droves, due to their liberal policies, but the politicians are running off the best thing to happen to them, before they even break ground.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/amazon-cancels-plans-to-build-headquarters-in-new-york/ar-BBTAJaa?ocid=spartanntp

Mellow

Quote:The proposal ran into opposition from local politicians who opposed the $2.8-billion in incentives promised to Amazon in a deal secretly negotiated by New York Governor Andrew Cuomo and New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio.

Damn "liberal policies" of giving businesses incentives!   Smirk
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(02-14-2019, 02:33 PM)GMDino Wrote: Mellow

Yeah, it's not like they wouldn't have benefitted many times over, in the long run..  Mellow

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
(02-14-2019, 02:18 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Tough loss for NY.  Not only are people and businesses fleeing that State in droves, due to their liberal policies, but the politicians are running off the best thing to happen to them, before they even break ground.

Not sure what your using to note businesses fleeing the state in droves, but I think they will be okay (currently 11th largest GDP in the world).

[Image: gdp-of-the-us-federal-state-of-new-york-since-1997.jpg]
9/11 will always be remembered as the one day neo cons cared about NY.
Hell, bring it to Radcliff.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(02-14-2019, 02:33 PM)GMDino Wrote: Mellow

Correct. If liberals had not been drawing these companies to NY, they would not be refusing to come because of liberals.
(02-14-2019, 03:00 PM)Au165 Wrote: Not sure what your using to note businesses fleeing the state in droves, but I think they will be okay (currently 11th largest GDP in the world).

[Image: gdp-of-the-us-federal-state-of-new-york-since-1997.jpg]
(This is not a post about ideology and it's effects on GDP, just something I noticed statistically and wanted to comment on.)

The US GDP in 2000 was $10.28t.
The US GDP in 2017 was $18.62t.
A raise of about 81.1%.

The NY GDP in 2000 was ~$1.02t. (9.92% of the national GDP)
The NY GDP in 2017 was ~$1.27t. (6.95% of the national GDP)
A raise of about 24.5%.

That means that NY grew at well less than 1/3rd of the rate of the rest of the US, losing a significant chunk of their national production share. It's still a large economy, and still a decent chunk of the country's amount, but the reality isn't nearly as bright and shiny as that graph you posted.

If everything holds true to their rate from 2000-2017, NY is looking at only being roughly 1% of the national GDP by 2050.

(I threw the ~ on there for NY because I had to roughly guess the last digit.)

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
(02-15-2019, 03:53 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: (This is not a post about ideology and it's effects on GDP, just something I noticed statistically and wanted to comment on.)

A raise of about 81.1%.

A raise of about 24.5%.

That means that NY grew at well less than 1/3rd of the rate of the rest of the US, losing a significant chunk of their national production share. It's still a large economy, and still a decent chunk of the country's amount, but the reality isn't nearly as bright and shiny as that graph you posted.

If everything holds true to their rate from 2000-2017, NY is looking at only being roughly 1% of the national GDP by 2050.

Not to mention that the financial center of the country is pretty much headquartered in New York City for reasons far older than today's governing party.  You see the same thing in CA with Silicon Valley.  You ask any business owner what it's like doing business in CA and you'll get a long winded harangue. 
(02-15-2019, 03:53 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: (This is not a post about ideology and it's effects on GDP, just something I noticed statistically and wanted to comment on.)

A raise of about 81.1%.

A raise of about 24.5%.

Eh, I'm not the best mathologist, but I'm not sure it's fair to say new York is growing a third slower than the rest of the us. You'd have to look at each state. You're comparing one state versus the sum of 50 states. Or that the comparison relates to a decline in new York s stability.

Without looking up any numbers, Texas is/was one of the fastest growing gdps. Their growth rate is based largely off proximity to jobs gone to Mexico and oil, two recent trends. That means their economy is going to grow, but it doesn't mean it's going to last. Not like new York, where the economy has had steady growth (mostly) for over a century.
Our governor just got a boner hearing that.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

(02-15-2019, 11:05 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Our governor just got a boner hearing that.

Remind me again.  What's her name?
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(02-15-2019, 11:07 AM)michaelsean Wrote: Remind me again.  What's her name?

Larry Hogan, the dude Republicans want to challenge Trump. 
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

(02-15-2019, 10:49 AM)Benton Wrote: Eh, I'm not the best mathologist, but I'm not sure it's fair to say new York is growing a third slower than the rest of the us. You'd have to look at each state. You're comparing one state versus the sum of 50 states. Or that the comparison relates to a decline in new York s stability.

Without looking up any numbers, Texas is/was one of the fastest growing gdps. Their growth rate is based largely off proximity to jobs gone to Mexico and oil, two recent trends. That means their economy is going to grow, but it doesn't mean it's going to last. Not like new York, where the economy has had steady growth (mostly) for over a century.

This offers a different view of Texas' GDP breakdown.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/304890/texas-real-gdp-by-industry/

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
(02-15-2019, 11:58 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: This offers a different view of Texas' GDP breakdown.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/304890/texas-real-gdp-by-industry/

Those are the areas of growth, but theyre mostly all spinoffs of the same things. 

It's the reverse of what's happened here in the Rust Belt. As manufacturing moved south, so with it went the spinoff. Chevy moving it's manufacturing, for example, closed about about a quarter of the light manufacturing in my rural area, which was huge. None of those were cars, but one was a molded plastics place (emblems, door handles, etc). It employed about 60 people in a town with a population of 500ish. When it went, plans for a grocery store we're put on hold (nice way to say abandoned), the only year round restaurant closed (a marina serves burgers in the summer). 

Texas' property values and economy will level off as industries stop fleeing the us. And, unlike new York, the economy there will end up like Missouri's or Michigan's or other places if those manufacturers leave Mexico for somewhere even cheaper 
(02-15-2019, 12:58 PM)Benton Wrote: Those are the areas of growth, but theyre mostly all spinoffs of the same things. 

It's the reverse of what's happened here in the Rust Belt. As manufacturing moved south, so with it went the spinoff. Chevy moving it's manufacturing, for example, closed about about a quarter of the light manufacturing in my rural area, which was huge. None of those were cars, but one was a molded plastics place (emblems, door handles, etc). It employed about 60 people in a town with a population of 500ish. When it went, plans for a grocery store we're put on hold (nice way to say abandoned), the only year round restaurant closed (a marina serves burgers in the summer). 

Texas' property values and economy will level off as industries stop fleeing the us. And, unlike new York, the economy there will end up like Missouri's or Michigan's or other places if those manufacturers leave Mexico for somewhere even cheaper 

I've also read that Texas is fast becoming the most popular destination for companies fleeing the taxes of California.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
(02-15-2019, 01:03 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I've also read that Texas is fast becoming the most popular destination for companies fleeing the taxes of California.

Hell, Texas can probably hold the entire population of the USA, so let's get moving.
Apparently NY found out Amazon had been sending naked selfies to Maryland.
(02-15-2019, 01:14 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Apparently NY found out Amazon had been sending naked selfies to Maryland.

Actually, all of those sign-waving, protesting aaaactivists could have played a role in Amazon not wanting to deal with the headache of being in NYC.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/how-amazon-scrapped-its-plans-for-new-york-headquarters/ar-BBTDdoI?ocid=spartanntp

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
(02-15-2019, 01:19 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Actually, all of those sign-waving, protesting aaaactivists could have played a role in Amazon not wanting to deal with the headache of being in NYC.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/how-amazon-scrapped-its-plans-for-new-york-headquarters/ar-BBTDdoI?ocid=spartanntp

Doesn't this get into the idea of the public not always being on board with the increasingly over the top methods by which organizations are wooed into selecting their city/state to be the home of the latest organization?  Plus, there is no assurance that Amazon won't just eventually pull up stakes and head to the next place that will send them public money and an even better tax break.

I'll admit I'm more skeptical of the government than most, but this seems like something where the "winning" state can brag up how attractive they are to businesses and how great they are at creating jobs while sticking the taxpayers with yet another bill.