Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Backup QB
(07-31-2020, 10:41 PM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote: That's 7 teams out of 640 (32 teams times 20 years). Doing some "monkey math" that's about a 1% chance of a backup QB starting games and contributing to "meaningful" wins since the year 2000, just using these examples that we've cited. 

There have only been 40 teams make the Super Bowl since 2000.  Seven out of 40 is 18%.  So if you are going to make it to the Super Bowl there is almost a one-in-five (20%) chance that you are going to need your back up QB to win a game or two.

If you want to expand it to "make it to the playoffs" I could probably find a lot more.

Maybe you should stop using "monkey math".  
Reply/Quote
(07-27-2020, 04:30 AM)Jhowdy54 Wrote: Blake Bortles has atleast had some success in the league  and is sitting out there.

I think that Bortles would be a good option at backup QB.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(08-01-2020, 09:43 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I think that Bortles would be a good option at backup QB.

We know he can beat the Steelers...

Reply/Quote
(08-01-2020, 01:03 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: We know he can beat the Steelers...

Given a sound team around him, he is a fair and competent starter.  I think that he just had a shitty hand dealt to him, by being drafted by Jacksonville, at the time he was chosen.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
As Paul Brown would say " time to find your life's
Work " so long Ryan Finley. I think Allen easily beats you for the 2nd string QB job.
Reply/Quote
(08-01-2020, 09:43 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I think that Bortles would be a good option at backup QB.

Yeah, he just isn't a starter. I would take a flyer on Bortles.
Reply/Quote
(08-01-2020, 09:28 AM)fredtoast Wrote: There have only been 40 teams make the Super Bowl since 2000.  Seven out of 40 is 18%.  So if you are going to make it to the Super Bowl there is almost a one-in-five (20%) chance that you are going to need your back up QB to win a game or two.

If you want to expand it to "make it to the playoffs" I could probably find a lot more.

Maybe you should stop using "monkey math".  

I was admittedly using very sloppy, ill defined metrics. I was roughly going for backup QBs who had won "meaningful games" in "good seasons" since the year 2000(random starting point) based upon information that other posters had provided. 

The point was to establish a general sense of how often a QB will come off of the bench to win "meaningful games." 

I don't know if it's proper to simply list Super Bowl teams and to throw out the rest of the pool of backup QBs in the data set. SB teams play more games and undoubtedly have better rosters. Other factors include playing stiffer competition, playing in more intense games, older QBs generally, more incentive to take extreme risk more often, etc.  
Reply/Quote