Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Did the Bengals get hoodwinked in New England?
no no no...
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote
Thanks should be given to ESPN for firing Brady up just in time to unload on the Steelers. Sprinkle in Goodell too shamed to show his face for a season opener with a dash of the new Steelers D..... Steelers start 0-1.

As for our games against them, did they really even need to cheat?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2015, 08:30 PM)jj22 Wrote: Thanks should be given to ESPN for firing Brady up just in time to unload on the Steelers. Sprinkle in Goodell too shamed to show his face for a season opener with a dash of the new Steelers D..... Steelers start 0-1.

As for our games against them, did they really even need to cheat?

I said the very same thing… Its not like the 2001-2007 years we were feared among the league. We had one decent year, but still were a joke among the league.
Reply/Quote
Who cares what happened in the past at this point. Just play everything close to the chest when it comes to NE from now on (or anyone). There's no point of thinking about what happened in the past, because all that does is makes people bitter.
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2015, 03:37 PM)samhain Wrote: With all of the speculation and reports coming out today concerning possible cheating beyond just Spygate by the Patriots, it made me recall our team's last two visits to Foxboro.  

Basically, they got murdered both times.  The first score (season opener 2010) was 38-24, and was comprised of many disasters such as a Palmer pick 6 and a Brandon Tate kickoff return TD before that was a good thing.  The team looked helpless vs the New England offense.  Welker scored a couple of times and both NE tight ends were factors.  

From jump, this loss could very easily be dismissed as a much better team housing a very bad team (which the Bengals undoubtedly were in 2010) in their building.  

Then we have last season.  I believe the Bengals lost 42-17.  Bengals weren't nearly as bad a team.  In fact, they were on quite a roll leading up to that game.  Some called them the best team in football up to that point.  New England, on the other hand was coming off of an embarrassing loss in KC.  The pundits were giving eulogies for the careers of Brady and Bellichick leading up to that game.  Good call on that one.  

This game was just an embarrassment.  No tackling, the defense couldn't get lined up (despite all of the awesome "leadership" guys we have collecting paychecks), and the New England offense always seemed to run the right play at the right time.  The offense couldn't get it going either, despite a relatively mistake-free game by Dalton.  

Could these games have been the result of possibly locker-room bugging or play-sheet theft by NE?  Was there extracirricular gamesmanship that was less apparent to the casual observer?  I'll also submit that the Bengals actually beat NE in the game between these two disasters, back in 2013.  That game was in Cincinnati.  The Pats gave them a game, but hardly looked like pros playing against a bunch of high schoolers as they have in the two Foxboro tilts.  

An SI report came out today that says at least 19 teams take precautions against sabotage when visiting Foxboro.  Anyone think we're one of those teams?  Do the players on this team just piss themselves with fear at they idea of playing in NE or are they just that much worse of a team?  Both possible, but IMO, I think the cheating advantage is worth discussing in our case.

I remember several years ago a Marvin Lewis quote that basically said "It seemed like they were in the huddle with us."  We also had the headset issues, especially when we were driving.  Our headsets would go out even though New England's headsets were fine.
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2015, 06:04 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: we were right there thru the 1st half of the game.  The Receivers just kept fumbling away any chance we had... And even the Gresham Missed that easy TD.

And that was the first game with no starting linebackers available and lumar stuggled to keep it under control and the defense just died.

Not sure they would have needed to cheat.

This - and the fact that we could not stop the run and the defense was not prepared to play - both a coaching and player fail. 
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2015, 04:04 PM)Shady Wrote: This ^

We should have beaten them like we did Denver, but we didn't show up. That's the problem with this team, I think. There are just games where we don't come to play. We just go through the motions without any fire in our bellies. I have no idea how to explain that. Somebody said in the "questionnaire" that Marvin was not good at motivating a team. I don't see why a HC has to motivate professional players, especially in the playoffs. That's where I just draw a blank. I don't know WHY it happens; I just know that it DOES. 

Lebeau had the same problem.  Expected them to be professionals, but only a few were.  I remember his home opener in Cincinnati against San Diego.   We were so out of shape they were running circles around us before the end of the first quarter.
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2015, 09:27 PM)3wt Wrote: Lebeau had the same problem.  Expected them to be professionals, but only a few were.  I remember his home opener in Cincinnati against San Diego.   We were so out of shape they were running circles around us before the end of the first quarter.

God, that was a horrible game. 96 air temperature and sunny, it was so stinkin's hot. They even wore all white and made SD wear those navy uniforms, but it didn't matter a damn bit. SD just pushed them all over that field.
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
That is why football is just that, in cool weather when the colors are colorful in the fall.
Happy Halloween
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2015, 03:37 PM)samhain Wrote: With all of the speculation and reports coming out today concerning possible cheating beyond just Spygate by the Patriots, it made me recall our team's last two visits to Foxboro.  

Basically, they got murdered both times.  The first score (season opener 2010) was 38-24, and was comprised of many disasters such as a Palmer pick 6 and a Brandon Tate kickoff return TD before that was a good thing.  The team looked helpless vs the New England offense.  Welker scored a couple of times and both NE tight ends were factors.  

From jump, this loss could very easily be dismissed as a much better team housing a very bad team (which the Bengals undoubtedly were in 2010) in their building.  

Then we have last season.  I believe the Bengals lost 42-17.  Bengals weren't nearly as bad a team.  In fact, they were on quite a roll leading up to that game.  Some called them the best team in football up to that point.  New England, on the other hand was coming off of an embarrassing loss in KC.  The pundits were giving eulogies for the careers of Brady and Bellichick leading up to that game.  Good call on that one.  

This game was just an embarrassment.  No tackling, the defense couldn't get lined up (despite all of the awesome "leadership" guys we have collecting paychecks), and the New England offense always seemed to run the right play at the right time.  The offense couldn't get it going either, despite a relatively mistake-free game by Dalton.  

Could these games have been the result of possibly locker-room bugging or play-sheet theft by NE?  Was there extracirricular gamesmanship that was less apparent to the casual observer?  I'll also submit that the Bengals actually beat NE in the game between these two disasters, back in 2013.  That game was in Cincinnati.  The Pats gave them a game, but hardly looked like pros playing against a bunch of high schoolers as they have in the two Foxboro tilts.  

An SI report came out today that says at least 19 teams take precautions against sabotage when visiting Foxboro.  Anyone think we're one of those teams?  Do the players on this team just piss themselves with fear at they idea of playing in NE or are they just that much worse of a team?  Both possible, but IMO, I think the cheating advantage is worth discussing in our case.

This is a very old story. It comes from 2010 when Payton Manning feared he was being bugged in NE. It's funny how this is being rehashed now after the commissioner was just embarrassed in court.

Last year's Bengals team got beaten soundly by Cleveland, by Indy twice, by Pitt and NE. Those teams, with the exception of Cleveland were better than the Bengals.

We didn't pressure Brady, we didn't start Hill or even really try to use him in that NE game, we turned the ball over and Brady confused our defense.

Let's face it, Belicheck is a better coach, better motivator and better strategist working with a better QB.

Reply/Quote
I was at the game in Foxboro last year. who knows about the cheating but one thing I do know is that the Patriots came out to play that night and the Bengal players looked lethargic. It was depressing to be there. The Pats didn't have to cheat to beat us that night. Alot of missed tackles and sloppy plays that had nothing to do with the Pats cheating.
Reply/Quote