Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
No Defense Against Short Passes
Why?

Why can’t Cincinnati stop short passes?

Mike White murdered the Bengals’ defense with a succession of twelve to fifteen yard passes and Lou Anarumo had no answer. There wasn’t a linebacker or a cornerback anywhere near a single Jet receiver in the flat all day. A first down was almost a given every time White dropped back to pass.

Where are the linebackers? Where are the cornerbacks? It’s okay to take positions in FRONT of the first down markers instead of waiting behind the sticks in a deep zone.

This was the single worst defensive effort I’ve seen in the Taylor-Anarumo era. The scheme was totally wrong and no adjustments were made.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2021, 10:09 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Why?

Why can’t Cincinnati stop short passes?

Mike White murdered the Bengals’ defense with a succession of twelve to fifteen yard passes and Lou Anarumo had no answer. There wasn’t a linebacker or a cornerback anywhere near a single Jet receiver in the flat all day. A first down was almost a given every time White dropped back to pass.

Where are the linebackers? Where are the cornerbacks? It’s okay to take positions in FRONT of the first down markers instead of waiting behind the sticks in a deep zone.

This was the single worst defensive effort I’ve seen in the Taylor-Anarumo era. The scheme was totally wrong and no adjustments were made.

Wasn’t 12-15 yards. His average ball thrown in air was 4. 4. ***** 4
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2021, 10:16 PM)N_B Wrote: Wasn’t 12-15 yards. His average ball thrown in air was 4. 4. ***** 4

Correct; I was counting Yards After Catch too.
Reply/Quote
I’ll be curious to look at the all 22. My gut reaction is poor angles and bad tackling were more of a factor than people are assuming. I would have liked more press man and double robber but there were times we were in position and just got flushed out or made bad tackle attempts.
Reply/Quote
The bigger question is where the F%^ were the adjustments to the short passes?
Reply/Quote
I.dont.understand why.they.didnt put a spy on Michael Carter. Every checkdown he caught
The nearest LB was 3 to 5 yds away.
Lou should have deployed a 3 man front and 4 LBers.
Lou did not even try to show multiple looks on defense.
He just kept running out the same 2-alignments
Reply/Quote
It appears this Quarterback shredded this defense more and more as the game went on.The defense simply had no answer for this simple,yet effective,offensive scheme.Simply amazing.I don’t think I’ve ever witnessed an NFL Quarterback,in his first ever start,Shred a defense like this,and throw for over 400 yards.
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2021, 11:55 PM)ezekiel23 Wrote: It appears this Quarterwhats back shredded this defense more and more as the game went on.The defense simply had no answer for this simple,yet effective,offensive scheme.Simply amazing.I don’t think I’ve ever witnessed an NFL Quarterback,in his first ever start,Shred a defense like this,and throw for over 400 yards.

Whats ironic is that that offense put up 400 yds passing without
Their best WR or LT in that game. I know Fant started but left the game
White didnt complete a downfield throw in the air over 20 yds
Everything was YAC. 
The Bengals next opponent is the same way. Short completions that
Turn.Into big YAC. 
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2021, 10:19 PM)Au165 Wrote: I’ll be curious to look at the all 22. My gut reaction is poor angles and bad tackling were more of a factor than people are assuming. I would have liked more press man and double robber but there were times we were in position and just got flushed out or made bad tackle attempts.

The Jets had a good game plan in place to take advantage of the Bengals base defense. They werent huddling calling the plays at the line. The defense really didnt get a chance to mix up their coverages.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
Poor tackling should ultimately be the highlight of this game as to why we lost. Piss poor tackling. Simple, but the truth.
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2021, 08:19 AM)Takedown Wrote: Poor tackling should ultimately be the highlight of this game as to why we lost. Piss poor tackling. Simple, but the truth.

17% missed tackle rate...the same rate we had in GB and CHI interestingly enough. 
Reply/Quote
Defense on the field too much last week in Baltimore and 3rd straight road game. It's as simple as that.
Reply/Quote
No one accounted for the RB coming out of the backfield into a pass pattern for most of the game. It was like the 49er West Coast all over again.
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
(10-31-2021, 10:16 PM)N_B Wrote: Wasn’t 12-15 yards.  His average ball thrown in air was 4.  4. ***** 4

yes, I was scratching my head watching all this go down ....The Mike White guy likely cant throw deep so why werent we pressing more and forcing the issue? We have seen yrs and yrs of this very thing against us when we had no deep threat or someone who can throw well deep. 
And to see it continue into the 2nd half too? WTF?? 
Reply/Quote
Burrow's INT cost us the game, not the defense. The D even stopped the Jets after Burrow's inglorious 1st pass INT with 3:46 left, if it wasn't for the incorrect helmet to helmet penalty on the refs, Burrow would have yet had another chance and made HIM the hero thanks to the Defense. The Offense failed to score many times. Draft Round 1 & 2 were invested in the offense. The offense should have been overpowering the Jets. They always fail to start strong.

Before I lit fire on the D, I'd focus on the offense first.
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2021, 11:33 AM)Bengalitis Wrote: Burrow's INT cost us the game, not the defense. The D even stopped the Jets after Burrow's inglorious 1st pass INT with 3:46 left, if it wasn't for the incorrect helmet to helmet penalty on the refs, Burrow would have yet had another chance and made HIM the hero thanks to the Defense. The Offense failed to score many times. Draft Round 1 & 2 were invested in the offense. The offense should have been overpowering the Jets. They always fail to start strong.

Joe Burrow certainty has blame to share for his badly timed pick but allowing twice as many points as usual — 34 instead in 17 — is on the defense.
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2021, 11:33 AM)Bengalitis Wrote: Burrow's INT cost us the game, not the defense. The D even stopped the Jets after Burrow's inglorious 1st pass INT with 3:46 left, if it wasn't for the incorrect helmet to helmet penalty on the refs, Burrow would have yet had another chance and made HIM the hero thanks to the Defense. The Offense failed to score many times.  Draft Round 1 & 2 were invested in the offense. The offense should have been overpowering the Jets. They always fail to start strong.

The offense scored 31 points, and that is good enough to win most games in the NFL. It was the defense that let the Jets march down the field at will and let them score - 5 straight times, nonetheless.
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
(11-01-2021, 08:19 AM)Takedown Wrote: Poor tackling should ultimately be the highlight of this game as to why we lost. Piss poor tackling. Simple, but the truth.

It was not just tackling.

The receivers were wide open often with no one close to them.

Tackling does not make a huge difference when the QB can complete 85% of his passes to receivers with room to run.
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2021, 11:33 AM)Bengalitis Wrote: Burrow's INT cost us the game, not the defense. 

That was a bad play by Burrow and he deserves SOME of the blame for the loss.

But our defense got their asses handed to them all day long.  A team like the jets should not have been close enough for that interception to make ny difference.
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2021, 11:39 AM)Interceptor Wrote: The offense scored 31 points, and that is good enough to win most games in the NFL. It was the defense that let the Jets march down the field at will and let them score - 5 straight times, nonetheless.

As you saw in the game, White was hot as well as their offense (with wow catches, etc) and Lou was unable to come with a plan to stop him. More blitzing perhaps? But the offense failed to put points early to put away the Jets, the Jet's defense was not even as strong as the their offense was dominating.
Reply/Quote