Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
No HC/QB combo...
Just thought i'd throw this in here before FA and the draft hits this year, then we go into next season. 

In the history of the Super Bowl era, no head coach/quarteback combo that were together for 5+ seasons ever won the Super Bowl after that 5th year. 

If they didn't win within that first 5 year period, it didn't happen. Period.

This will be Zac and Joe's 4th year together...

To add to that. Only 3 quarterbacks in the Super Bowl era have ever lost their first Super Bowl and went on to win one later. I'm not too worried about this stat because if someone has done it, someone else can too. It's the 'within 5 years' stat, that no one has done, which is givin me the willies. 

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
Packers: Lombardi/Starr. Won NFL championships in years 3 and 4. Won first 2 SBs.
Packers: McCarthy/Rodgers. Won SB in year 3.
Jets: Ewbank/Namath. Won SB in year 4.
Chiefs: Stram/Dawson. Won NFL championship in year 1. Won SB in year 4 (of SB era). 
Chiefs: Reid/Mahomes. Won SB in years 2 and 5.
Colts: McCafferty/Unitas. Won SB in year 1. 
Colts: Dungy/Manning. Won SB in year 5.
Cowboys: Landry/Staubach. Won SB in year 1.
Cowboys: Johnson/Aikman. Won SBs in years 4 and 5.
Cowboys: Switzer/Aikman. Won SB in year 2. 
Dolphins: Shula/Griese. Won SB in year 4.
Steelers: Noll/Bradshaw. Won SBs in year 5 (started 7 of 13 games).
Steelers: Cowher/Ben. Won SB in year 2.
Steelers: Tomlin/Ben. Won SB in year 2. 
Raiders: Madden/Stabler. Won SB in year 4.
Raiders: Flores/Plunkett. Won SBs in years 1 and 4.
49ers: Walsh/Montana. Won SBs in years 1 and 4.
49ers: Seifert/Young. Won SB in year 4. 
Redskins: Gibbs/Theismann. Won SB in year 2.
Redskins: Gibbs/Schroeder. Won SB in year 2. (Doug Williams started and won the SB--Schroeder started all 16 previous year losing the NFCCG).
Redskins: Gibbs/Rypien. Won SB in year 3.
Bears: Ditka/McMahon. Won SB in year 4.
Giants: Parcells/Simms. Won SB in year 3.
Giants: Coughlin/Manning. Won SB in year 3.
Broncos: Shanahan/Elway. Won SBs in years 3 and 4.
Broncos: Kubiak/Manning. Won SB in year 1.
Rams: Vermeil/Warner. Won SB in year 1.
Rams: McVay/Stafford. Won SB in year 1. 
Ravens: Billick/Dilfer. Won SB in year 1. (Dilfer started 8 games)
Ravens: Harbaugh/Flacco. Won SB in year 5.
Patriots: Belichick/Brady. Won SBs in years 1, 3 and 4.
Bucs: Gruden/Johnson. Won SB in year 1.
Bucs: Arians/Brady. Won SB in year 1.
Saints: Payton/Brees. Won SB in year 4.
Seahawks: Carroll/Wilson. Won SB in year 2.
Eagles: Pederson/Wentz. Won SB in year 2. (Foles started 3 games, including SB)

First time;
Year 1 winners X 12.
Year 2 winners X 8.
Year 3 winners X 6.
Year 4 winners X 7.
Year 5 winners X 3.

My OP was worded wrong. It should say that if a HC/QB combo was going to win a SB, they will do it within 5 years, not that they were together for at least 5 years. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
Here's another fun stat for you.

This next NFL season will have 4 starting quarterbacks that started and won a SB. 

Matthew Stafford (35 years old)
Russell Wilson (34 years old)
Aaron Rodgers (39 years old)
Patrick Mahomes (27 years old). Will turn 28 Sept 17th.

Reply/Quote
(02-28-2023, 03:12 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Just thought i'd throw this in here before FA and the draft hits this year, then we go into next season. 

In the history of the Super Bowl era, no head coach/quarteback combo that were together for 5+ seasons ever won the Super Bowl after that 5th year. 

If they didn't win within that first 5 year period, it didn't happen. Period.

This will be Zac and Joe's 4th year together...

To add to that. Only 3 quarterbacks in the Super Bowl era have ever lost their first Super Bowl and went on to win one later. I'm not too worried about this stat because if someone has done it, someone else can too. It's the 'within 5 years' stat, that no one has done, which is givin me the willies. 

That does not bother me one bit. Remember all the talk and hand wringing after starting 0-2 because hardly anyone does that and makes the playoffs? REcords are made to be broken. Zac is improving all the time. Burrow is improving all the time. The front office is bringing in more and more pieces and the coaches are making tremendous players out of guy like Pratt. I see no reason for any of that to stop, they will not plateau. The only thing that can derail this team is losing our QB.
Reply/Quote
Wait a minute... Tom Brady has how many Super Bowl rings? Not ONE of them came after year 5 with Belichick?
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2023, 11:31 AM)Tomkat Wrote: Wait a minute... Tom Brady has how many Super Bowl rings?  Not ONE of them came after year 5 with Belichick?

Pretty sure rfaulk forgot to include "first" before Super Bowl.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
I don't think I am fully comprehending this, so sorry for asking for clarity. Brady's last SB in New England was 2019. What prevents that from counting?
Reply/Quote
The OP highlights the quick turnover at HC and even QBs but really it just simply means it hasn't happened yet.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(02-28-2023, 04:38 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Packers: Lombardi/Starr. Won NFL championships in years 3 and 4. Won first 2 SBs.
Packers: McCarthy/Rodgers. Won SB in year 3.
Jets: Ewbank/Namath. Won SB in year 4.
Chiefs: Stram/Dawson. Won NFL championship in year 1. Won SB in year 4 (of SB era). 
Chiefs: Reid/Mahomes. Won SB in years 2 and 5.
Colts: McCafferty/Unitas. Won SB in year 1. 
Colts: Dungy/Manning. Won SB in year 5.
Cowboys: Landry/Staubach. Won SB in year 1.
Cowboys: Johnson/Aikman. Won SBs in years 4 and 5.
Cowboys: Switzer/Aikman. Won SB in year 2. 
Dolphins: Shula/Griese. Won SB in year 4.
Steelers: Noll/Bradshaw. Won SBs in year 5 (started 7 of 13 games).
Steelers: Cowher/Ben. Won SB in year 2.
Steelers: Tomlin/Ben. Won SB in year 2. 
Raiders: Madden/Stabler. Won SB in year 4.
Raiders: Flores/Plunkett. Won SBs in years 1 and 4.
49ers: Walsh/Montana. Won SBs in years 1 and 4.
49ers: Seifert/Young. Won SB in year 4. 
Redskins: Gibbs/Theismann. Won SB in year 2.
Redskins: Gibbs/Schroeder. Won SB in year 2. (Doug Williams started and won the SB--Schroeder started all 16 previous year losing the NFCCG).
Redskins: Gibbs/Rypien. Won SB in year 3.
Bears: Ditka/McMahon. Won SB in year 4.
Giants: Parcells/Simms. Won SB in year 3.
Giants: Coughlin/Manning. Won SB in year 3.
Broncos: Shanahan/Elway. Won SBs in years 3 and 4.
Broncos: Kubiak/Manning. Won SB in year 1.
Rams: Vermeil/Warner. Won SB in year 1.
Rams: McVay/Stafford. Won SB in year 1. 
Ravens: Billick/Dilfer. Won SB in year 1. (Dilfer started 8 games)
Ravens: Harbaugh/Flacco. Won SB in year 5.
Patriots: Belichick/Brady. Won SBs in years 1, 3 and 4.
Bucs: Gruden/Johnson. Won SB in year 1.
Bucs: Arians/Brady. Won SB in year 1.
Saints: Payton/Brees. Won SB in year 4.
Seahawks: Carroll/Wilson. Won SB in year 2.
Eagles: Pederson/Wentz. Won SB in year 2. (Foles started 3 games, including SB)

First time;
Year 1 winners X 12.
Year 2 winners X 8.
Year 3 winners X 6.
Year 4 winners X 7.
Year 5 winners X 3.

My OP was worded wrong. It should say that if a HC/QB combo was going to win a SB, they will do it within 5 years, not that they were together for at least 5 years. 

Just glancing at that list is where were those teams when the coach took over? Just glancing none were the worst team that I can see. That’s an ingredient to some degree.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(02-28-2023, 11:31 AM)Tomkat Wrote: Wait a minute... Tom Brady has how many Super Bowl rings?  Not ONE of them came after year 5 with Belichick?

There are HC/QB combos that won after year 5 but none of them won their first after year 5. 

No one.

Reply/Quote
So if the Bengals don't win a Super Bowl in the upcoming years we can expect a new head coach around 2030ish?
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2023, 11:33 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Pretty sure rfaulk forgot to include "first" before Super Bowl.

"If they didn't win within that first 5 year period, it didn't happen. Period." That's from my OP. I did correct my wording in the follow up post. 

Reply/Quote
(02-28-2023, 11:34 AM)KillerGoose Wrote: I don't think I am fully comprehending this, so sorry for asking for clarity. Brady's last SB in New England was 2019. What prevents that from counting?

Any HC/QB combo that won their first Super Bowl, won it within the first 5 years they were together. They could win more outside that 5 year window, but the first always came within the first 5 years. 

No HC/QB combo won their first Super Bowl after being together for more than 5 years. 

Reply/Quote
(02-28-2023, 03:11 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Just glancing at that list is where were those teams when the coach took over? Just glancing none were the worst team that I can see. That’s an ingredient to some degree.

If you want to find a way to excuse it away, feel free to do the research. I've pointed out and listed where it hasn't happened in the 57 year history of the Super Bowl. I'm not interested in excuses. 

Reply/Quote
(02-28-2023, 03:17 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: So if the Bengals don't win a Super Bowl in the upcoming years we can expect a new head coach around 2030ish?

If the Bengals don't win the SB this year or next, odds are they won't ever with Zac and Joe together.

Or, you can look at it as...the Bengals WILL win the SB this year or next!   Wink

Reply/Quote
(02-28-2023, 03:31 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: If the Bengals don't win the SB this year or next, odds are they won't ever with Zac and Joe together.

Or, you can look at it as...the Bengals WILL win the SB this year or next!   Wink

Well, the Bengals have never won a SB, Burrow lost his first SB, and then this.  What aspects of history are on our side on this one? 
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2023, 03:32 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Well, the Bengals have never won a SB, Burrow lost his first SB, and then this.  What aspects of history are on our side on this one? 

That, if they're good enough, we can celebrate a SB win this year or next year. Or both. Big Grin

Reply/Quote
Just to uplift your spirits a bit, Elway lost his first 3 Super Bowls before winning 2 in his last 2 years in the league. 

Reply/Quote
(02-28-2023, 03:38 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Just to uplift your spirits a bit, Elway lost his first 3 Super Bowls before winning 2 in his last 2 years in the league. 

With our luck Burrow would lose the 3 here and then win the 2 for the Steelers.  Man, I feel sick even joking about that. 
Reply/Quote
So given Burrow's rookie deal technically goes through 5 years with his option, the window really is this year and next year before potentially defying the odds and becoming the first HC/QB pair to get their first SB win 6+ years together.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote