Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
No HC/QB combo...
(02-28-2023, 03:31 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: If the Bengals don't win the SB this year or next, odds are they won't ever with Zac and Joe together.

Or, you can look at it as...the Bengals WILL win the SB this year or next!   Wink

Or we can look at it as the Bengals WILL win back-to-back Super Bowls!  Cool Wink
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2023, 03:28 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: If you want to find a way to excuse it away, feel free to do the research. I've pointed out and listed where it hasn't happened in the 57 year history of the Super Bowl. I'm not interested in excuses. 

I was just pointing out that most of the teams on that list weren’t dead last in the beginning. I find that relevant. But I also find your post relevant.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(02-28-2023, 03:54 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: I was just pointing out that most of the teams on that list weren’t dead last in the beginning. I find that relevant. But I also find your post relevant.

Probably the one that stands out most would be Dallas in the early '90s. I know the Rams of the '90s were right with the Bengals for futility before winning in '99. Steelers were really bad before Noll. I don't think the Bears were all that great before Ditka, even with WP. 

But by and large, i think the majority of those teams were in, at least, decent shape heading towards that first SB win. I don't think any one of them could match 6 wins in 2 years right before making the SB like the Bengals did. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
Just throwing some thoughts out there. 

As i mentioned before, if Burrow doesn't win a SB in his first 5 years, that doesn't mean he never will. Elway, PManning, Plunkett and Stafford were around for a while before winning. 

As far as coaches, look at Andy Reid. He was in Philly for 14 years and had McNabb for 10 of those. Then he went to the Chiefs and had Alex Smith for 5 years before Mahomes came around. Landy coached for 11 years before Staubach came around. Vermeil coached in Philly for 7 years and had Jaworski but it wasn't until his 10th year overall, that Warner showed up. 

It looks more to me that it's the QB that makes the difference, to the larger extent, so if Zac/Joe don't win, i don't think the problem will be Joe. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2023, 03:11 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Just glancing at that list is where were those teams when the coach took over? Just glancing none were the worst team that I can see. That’s an ingredient to some degree.

Giving this a little bumpity due to my convo with Pistons and to note that Johnson/Aikman won 1 game their first year. The Bengals aren't the only one that started off as bad as they did. All of these teams were in different places when the combos got together, as you would expect. 

EDIT: Also...i didn't check all the posts to see that i had already addressed this...  sorry!

Reply/Quote
Well the Bengals still have a year left within the 5 year window.

Not too concerned if not, Zac and Joe have been breaking trends from the start and am confident they will break this door down as well.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
As an old High School Baseball Coach used to tell me……”Just because it’s never been done before, doesn’t mean you can’t do it”! Good words to live by.
Reply/Quote
I sincerely believe the Bengals will win a Super Bowl in the next two years — but if this is not the case then Joe Burrow will be the first quarterback to break this “must win in the first five years” streak.

Also, this is kinda sorta Joe’s third and a half year, not his fourth. I consider 2020 to be a partial season for him.
Reply/Quote
(04-04-2023, 09:35 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: I sincerely believe the Bengals will win a Super Bowl in the next two years — but if this is not the case then Joe Burrow will be the first quarterback to break this “must win in the first five years” streak.  

Also, this is kinda sorta Joe’s third and a half year, not his fourth.  I consider 2020 to be a partial season for him.

No. This is his 4th year in the league.

Reply/Quote
Man the SB against the Rams should have been a win. We had that game. The Rams made that adjustment on their D-Line and the Bengals just couldn't strategically or physically counter it.
Reply/Quote
There's probably a lot more to these stats than people in this thread want to admit.

If a great qb gets saddled with an average coach...likely no SB. And vice-versa.
Reply/Quote