Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
No More Marvin Loyalty Means Whole New Look
With Coach Marvin Lewis and his loyalty to coaches and players gone, it means huge changes. Some say Marvin was loyal to a fault. The word is it is Zac Taylor coming in. He will have no Marvin favorites or Bengals Fan Favorites coming in. Anybody can go. We are already hearing the O Line Coach has packed up and left in news rumors. All the coaches may be gone. Many of the players may be gone. It's a complete rebuild. The whole idea that the team in September 2019 is very different from the team in December of 2018.

So Fans get ready. Some of the players you are loyal to may not be who the new coach wants in is system. Accept that because changes are needed. Most of the Bengals going free agent are players the new coach may not even want. As for all the tight ends going free agent, the new coach may think he can do better than all of them, and he has no Marvin or Fan loyalty to them.

So with Marvin Loyalty gone, some players Fans loyal to may soon be gone as well. The new coach is hired from outside the franchise and doesn't know or care about anything in Bengals past. So forget the past and what players did in the past. It will certainly be a whole new coach, a who new system, new playbook, new coaches, new players. Out with the old, in with the new. Considering the Bengals have had 3 straight losing seasons, these are much needed changes. It would seem the NFL has changed and the Bengals didn't change with it. The Bengals join the new NFL in 2019. Get out of the quicksand. The retread tires of Marvin such as Hue are gone.

GO BENGALS. A Whole New Look. The start of the 2020's decade Bengals. GO BENGALS INTO THE FUTURE.

We close the window of opportunity on the 2010's Bengals. The did have 5 straight play-off seasons which is something this losing franchise never did. Still, it never won a play-off game. So the team opens the window on the 2020's decade with a fresh start into the new decade hoping play-off wins and Super Bowls in the new era of Bengals football. Hopefully also the Bengals Front Office in rigamortis springs new life and change as well. There is too much Loyalty in the Front Office jobs considering there is too much nepotism and not enough winning. Take the retread tires off the Front Office as well. I use the Super Bowl Trophy because that should be the goal of this franchise and if it isn't, then this franchise has already lost in the future also. Hopefully huge changes are coming.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Unless they continuously lose all of their games in some kind of horrific fashion I'm going to stay loyal to the team and not the players.

If that happens, then I'll stop watching them all together.

Big Ben and a few Steelers players are really the only thing that would make me nauseous if they were in stripes.

Bring on the change. I just want the team to be better and most importantly win !!
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
First things first, just finally get rid of Burfict and Kirkpatrick and I’ll be ecstatic
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2019, 12:10 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: Unless they continuously lose all of their games in some kind of horrific fashion I'm going to stay loyal to the team and not the players.

If that happens, then I'll stop watching them all together.

Big Ben and a few Steelers players are really the only thing that would make me nauseous if they were in stripes.

Bring on the change.  I just want the team to be better and most importantly win !!
Big Ben is ready to retire, and Dalton is going into season # 9 which is when Carson left.  The draft class of 2011 is getting some age on them. I liked 2011 because it was time to close the book on 2005 and that decade.  Now it is time to open a new decade.  The new coach is around 35 years old.  Get ready for a whole new team.  No, Big Ben retiring will not be in the plans or way of the future. Dalton may not be either.  New coaches like their own franchise quarterbacks and Bengals are near the point of drafting Dalton's replacement anyway. Anybody on this team could go as team heads into new decade. 
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2019, 12:39 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: First things first, just finally get rid of Burfict and Kirkpatrick and I’ll be ecstatic

If Dre K could catch you would be singing a different tune. He was in position A LOT last year, just didn't capitalize. From the games I saw, I actually thought he had a decent year.

Hard to think anyone played well with the D stinking that badly, but any semblance of a pass rush would make all of our DBs look better.
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2019, 12:54 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: If Dre K could catch you would be singing a different tune. He was in position A LOT last year, just didn't capitalize. From the games I saw, I actually thought he had a decent year.

Hard to think anyone played well with the D stinking that badly, but any semblance of a pass rush would make all of our DBs look better.

Lol, kinda like the old phrase "If my Aunt had balls, she'd be my Uncle"?  Seriously, there's a reason that a lot of guys end up being DBs, rather than receivers, they just ain't got the hands..
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2019, 12:39 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: First things first, just finally get rid of Burfict and Kirkpatrick and I’ll be ecstatic

There is no more coach loyalty to Burfict. The new coach may not want players that spend more time suspended or injured each year than they do playing. 
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2019, 12:54 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: If Dre K could catch you would be singing a different tune. He was in position A LOT last year, just didn't capitalize. From the games I saw, I actually thought he had a decent year.

[Image: giphy.gif]
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Lots of fans are going to be disappointed to find out that our new coaches like some of the players they hate.
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2019, 01:13 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Lots of fans are going to be disappointed to find out that our new coaches like some of the players they hate.

Hate? I don't hate any of the players and most fans don't. I like them when they play well and don't like them when they don't. But hate has no part in it at all.

If a player, like AJ Green, who has had many great years has a bad year then I'm like, "well it happens".

If a player, like John Ross, who has never had even a decent year plays poorly then I'm like, "well, he hasn't changed can we please bring in someone who plays better?"

I'll be happy with Ross if the new coaches get him to run routes correctly and catch the ball and starts living up to his potential then I'll like him on the team. If, on the other hand, he continues to being the worst catch percentage WR in the NFL, then I'd rather we moved him and brought in someone who actually plays better.

Reply/Quote
(01-20-2019, 01:13 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Lots of fans are going to be disappointed to find out that our new coaches like some of the players they hate.

And there will be some that are disappointed to find out our new coaches go in a different direction, moving on from players they love.

Reply/Quote
(01-20-2019, 01:38 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Hate? I don't hate any of the players and most fans don't. I like them when they play well and don't like them when they don't. But hate has no part in it at all.

Thank you Doctor Semantics. That really changes everything.
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2019, 02:03 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Thank you Doctor Semantics. That really changes everything.

Hate is completely the wrong word though.

And, if the new coaches get something out of the underachievers, then I'll be happy as a clam.

Reply/Quote
I have little against Andy, but he's never really ever had what we could call a competent backup. I'd love to see that change. I'm in no hurry to jettison Andy, but in those games when he just isn't cutting it wouldn't it be nice to have someone else to come in and change things up? We used to do that. When KA wasn't performing well, he got benched in favor of Turk and others. Andy has never had to worry about a temporary benching so if he was stinking up the place his position was always secure. We always just rode with him regardless. 
That brings up the rumor of the Bengals being a potential landing spot for Foles. It's not that I'm a big Foles fan, but he's far more competent than our current backup..  We shall see now won't we? 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(01-20-2019, 05:03 PM)grampahol Wrote: I have little against Andy, but he's never really ever had what we could call a competent backup. I'd love to see that change. I'm in no hurry to jettison Andy, but in those games when he just isn't cutting it wouldn't it be nice to have someone else to come in and change things up? We used to do that. When KA wasn't performing well, he got benched in favor of Turk and others. Andy has never had to worry about a temporary benching so if he was stinking up the place his position was always secure. We always just rode with him regardless. 
That brings up the rumor of the Bengals being a potential landing spot for Foles. It's not that I'm a big Foles fan, but he's far more competent than our current backup..  We shall see now won't we? 

Gradkowski was alright. If I remember, he came in and finished the game when Andy got a boo boo during his first start. I think he even threw AJ Green's first TD reception.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2019, 05:10 PM)jason Wrote: Gradkowski was alright. If I remember, he came in and finished the game when Andy got a boo boo during his first start. I think he even threw AJ Green's first TD reception.

He was ok, but hardly what anyone could call a marqui QB by any stretch of the imagination.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(01-20-2019, 02:03 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Thank you Doctor Semantics. That really changes everything.

And to add something to clarify what I was saying, fans like players who play well and tend to not like those who f- up a bunch.

People who don't like players who play well for the team or who like players who are underachievers and want them on the team anyways are being emotional, rather than logical.

I prefer being logical.

Reply/Quote
(01-20-2019, 05:19 PM)grampahol Wrote: He was ok, but hardly what anyone could call a marqui QB by any stretch of the imagination.. 

I'm not trying to get this thread moved to PnR, but I know of a QB with an Afro whose name rhymes with Saepernick. Probably could've used a guy like that the last month of the season...
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
From the perspective of an old geezer: Free Agency changed everything. The 1981 and 1988 Bengals were great before free agency - post 1988 Bengals, not so much. Most everything about the NFL is now better for the players; for the fans, not so much. From an old fan's perspective - pre 1988, you were a Bengal for life. Post 1988 - if the player stuck around for a few years, that was/is about the best you can expect. The NFL is all business now. Might as well be the Procter & Gamble Bengals..or the Hamilton County Bengals in honor of the taxpayers.
Reply/Quote
I think creating a culture where players are held accountable and there is competition and players who consistently underperform are released.

I thought they were doing that at the start of the year with MJ...then they re-signed him.

Guys like Ced should have been waived too. We could literally have picked up a guy off the street who could outplay him.
Reply/Quote