Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
No More Marvin Loyalty Means Whole New Look
(01-21-2019, 07:39 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Yep, at least we have hope now ! We knew Marvin Lewis was gonna get out coached any time it really mattered.

Could not agree more. Hope is the word.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2019, 07:00 PM)fredtoast Wrote: That could be a big problem for all the fans here who claimed that making the playoffs was meaningless because every team did it every year, and that a coach with a winning record against other NFL coaches is somehow "the worst".

I don't think meaningless is a fair word. I would say a lot of fans felt it was pointless to get to the playoffs and then turn the lights off. 

And, as far as marvins record against other coaches, that's great, but as you mention, the majority of those guys are losers. Beating a bunch of losers is also pointless if it's not getting you the end result you're seeking.
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2019, 05:19 PM)grampahol Wrote: He was ok, but hardly what anyone could call a marqui QB by any stretch of the imagination.. 

You think we should have a marquise QB as a backup?

And as far as I can remember Turk came in for an underperforming Anderson once. Then Ken went in to win the MVP.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(01-21-2019, 09:24 PM)Benton Wrote: And, as far as marvins record against other coaches, that's great, but as you mention, the majority of those guys are losers. Beating a bunch of losers is also pointless if it's not getting you the end result you're seeking.

No need to pick at nits.  I agree Marvin had to go.

But I said a majority of the coaches were losers, but that is different from a majority of games coached.  A minority of coaches are winners, but they coach more games each because they keep their jobs longer. 

The fact is that over Marvin's tenure only 5 teams had more wins against teams with winning records than the Bengals (42).  If not for the mind numbing domination by the Steelers Marvin's record would be among the top of the league.*

* regular season 
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2019, 02:49 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Hate is completely the wrong word though.

And, if the new coaches get something out of the underachievers, then I'll be happy as a clam.

Clams don't have the central nervous system required to experience joy.

Thay are never happy no matter what.

So for once I think you are 100% correct.
Reply/Quote
I hate Ced MJ n Kirkpatrick. Can’t wait for them to hit the streets. Maybe not hate. I just don’t like crappy players.
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2019, 06:33 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I usually agree with you Jason, but how could you know if that clown is better?

He has been out of the game for years and the league already had him figured out before that?

It's ok to say you don't want Kaepernick on this team without trying to convince yourself the guy is worse than Nathan Peterman. 
Reply/Quote
(01-22-2019, 09:30 AM)Nately120 Wrote: It's ok to say you don't want Kaepernick on this team without trying to convince yourself the guy is worse than Nathan Peterman. 

Okay, i don't want Kaepernick on this team. All he would be is a distraction, nothing more.

Peterman would be better for heck sake.
Reply/Quote
(01-22-2019, 01:24 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Okay, i don't want Kaepernick on this team. All he would be is a distraction, nothing more.

Peterman would be better for heck sake.

Argh, so close. 
Reply/Quote
Bengals sign Ryan Fitzpatrick as bridge QB at a seriously low rate(he's getting 3.3 mil now)on a two year contract.

Trade Dalton for realistic picks.

They could seriously save monies in a few other contracts Burfict, Glenn, and other.

Sign some decent FAs.

Take Dalton picks to possibly go up and grab a QB this draft if desired.  

If not, use picks to fill holes, if anything for role players/depth all round.

This cuts bait for our FAs and brings in new blood.

In another scenario the Bengals could also sign Fitz as a backup/motivator experienced guy if they wanted to move Dalton later they could.

I'm not some kind of fan of his but I'd rather entertain this scenario than guys like Tannehill which is lateral and expensive.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(01-22-2019, 10:09 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: Bengals sign Ryan Fitzpatrick as bridge QB at a seriously low rate(he's getting 3.3 mil now)on a two year contract.

Trade Dalton for realistic picks.

They could seriously save monies in a few other contracts Burfict, Glenn, and other.

Sign some decent FAs.

Take Dalton picks to possibly go up and grab a QB this draft if desired.  

If not, use picks to fill holes, if anything for role players/depth all round.

This cuts bait for our FAs and brings in new blood.

In another scenario the Bengals could also sign Fitz as a backup/motivator experienced guy if they wanted to move Dalton later they could.

I'm not some kind of fan of his but I'd rather entertain this scenario than guys like Tannehill which is lateral and expensive.

I wouldn’t mind Fitz as a bridge. Actually prefer him over Tanny. Sign me up for this!
Reply/Quote
(01-22-2019, 11:56 PM)HuDey Wrote: I wouldn’t mind Fitz as a bridge. Actually prefer him over Tanny. Sign me up for this!

If they wanted to do some major re-tooling with keeping most players that are good and supplement them this could work.

I expect to get some Fitz sucks posts from people but he has so that's fair.

He's cheap. Could be an experienced bridge. Would probably take the offer too since Arians stated who "his guy" is.

Not to mention they could draft a QB and he'd just be a more competent backup player than Driskel.

The drafted QB and Fitz would be cheap on the roster.

It just opens a window there and possibly gets you more money for FAs or picks if you don't pick up a QB in this draft.
Reply/Quote
(01-22-2019, 11:56 PM)HuDey Wrote: I wouldn’t mind Fitz as a bridge. Actually prefer him over Tanny. Sign me up for this!

I think I'd kill myself if I had to watch a whole season of Fitz playing QB.  A game or two, or to come off the bench to pull a game out of the fire, sure.

But going into a season knowing he was the guy, that would be too much, cuz Fitz giveth but he also giveth away.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(01-23-2019, 02:32 AM)McC Wrote: I think I'd kill myself if I had to watch a whole season of Fitz playing QB.  A game or two, or to come off the bench to pull a game out of the fire, sure.

But going into a season knowing he was the guy, that would be too much, cuz Fitz giveth but he also giveth away.

I get that.

There are several scenarios laid out.

One would be him as a backup to Andy.

The other a backup to a possibly drafted QB.

At any rate if he doesn't start he adds nice insurance value and could possibly be a bridge if he does.

I knew it wouldn't be a popular premise.

I just don't want the team to pay a high contract for an almost lateral move at QB if they were to move Dalton
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2019, 02:32 AM)McC Wrote: I think I'd kill myself if I had to watch a whole season of Fitz playing QB.  A game or two, or to come off the bench to pull a game out of the fire, sure.

It would be painful at times, no doubt. But it’s already been painful and is going to be that way until we get a few major issues corrected anyway. If we half-ass this rebuild the result is not going to be good. I would gladly endure a season of Fitz if it meant we got good draft capital out of Dalton.
Yes you take the chance that your draft pick QB doesn’t pan out, but I can’t stomach any more mediocrity without at least taking a chance on being something more.
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2019, 09:20 AM)HuDey Wrote: It would be painful at times, no doubt. But it’s already been painful and is going to be that way until we get a few major issues corrected anyway. If we half-ass this rebuild the result is not going to be good. I would gladly endure a season of Fitz if it meant we got good draft capital out of Dalton.
Yes you take the chance that your draft pick QB doesn’t pan out, but I can’t stomach any more mediocrity without at least taking a chance on being something more.

With all due respect, no you wouldn't.  You might say you would but you would hate it.

Do you think ZT would be willing to throw away his first year on the job?

Pie in the sky anyway.  The Bengals are not trading Andy this year.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(01-23-2019, 09:20 AM)HuDey Wrote: It would be painful at times, no doubt. But it’s already been painful and is going to be that way until we get a few major issues corrected anyway. If we half-ass this rebuild the result is not going to be good. I would gladly endure a season of Fitz if it meant we got good draft capital out of Dalton.

Why would you be willing to just throw away all the chemistry AD has built with AJ and the rest of the team and been to the playoffs 5 times to suffer thru mediocre QB A or B for a year...or two until we can get a new guy on board ?

Look if we could draft P. Manning or A. Luck or even T. Lawrence this season I'd be all for dumping AD for picks.

Haskins is the only QB in this draft I'd even consider that for and he is a bit of a project that may not pan out ? I think he will but with all the other issues on this team it's a very big risk !

Stick with AD and see how it goes the QB's coming up are just better.
Reply/Quote
(01-22-2019, 11:56 PM)HuDey Wrote: I wouldn’t mind Fitz as a bridge. 

You would mind if he was a bridge to Jake Locker, Blaine Gabbert, E J Manuel or any of the other first round flops.

People act like it would be easy to just trade away Dalton and draft a better QB.  But that is harder than it sounds.
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2019, 11:24 AM)fredtoast Wrote: You would mind if he was a bridge to Jake Locker, Blaine Gabbert, E J Manuel or any of the other first round flops.

People act like it would be easy to just trade away Dalton and draft a better QB.  But that is harder than it sounds.

Yep, just ask the Cleveland Browns.
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2019, 10:04 AM)McC Wrote: With all due respect, no you wouldn't.  You might say you would but you would hate it.

Do you think ZT would be willing to throw away his first year on the job?

Pie in the sky anyway.  The Bengals are not trading Andy this year.

I absolutely without a doubt and no regrets would. What is the difference between next year with Dalton under center and next year with a Fitzpatrick type? Either way the Cincinnati Bengals will be an also-rans.

What exactly would Coach Taylor be throwing away?...a shot to flirt with .500?...This team is not fixable in one offseason, it will take two or more depending on whether they can acquire the right pieces and how quickly and well they can develop thier draft choices. The best way to a championship is great coaching and great QB play. We are taking a chance on finding one of those things, why not take a chance on finding the other?
Reply/Quote