Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
No Ring of Honor
Mike Brown is a terrible business man the only reason why the guy has any money is because he lucked into ownership because his dad died. If you want to laugh read what he said about the  naming rights of the stadium. As for the ring of honor it does matter because it would be the hall of fame of the Bengals.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
Quote:“It’s an oddly complicated issue. We honor our old Pro Bowl players. We put up large permanent posters of them in the building and that has been our way of doing this. I was at a stadium recently and I looked around at the Ring of Honor players they have, and I would tell you that these are guys that played 30, 40, 50 years ago.

“People don’t know who the hell they are. These things have a shelf life and I wonder whether there isn’t a better way to recognize old contributing players. We are going to try to do it by focusing on the Pro Bowl players (and) putting something on our website. We’re pressed to have the space to do it out in the stadium itself. So, we will do it our way and we hope that the old players and the fans understand that it is a bona fide effort to recognize these people that played here and made the team what it is today.”

[Image: Confused-Jacksonville-Jaguars-fan-in-stands.gif]
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
Everyones sentiment here brings up something I've thought about in the past.

Do you think he's regarding similarly amongst the other owners / NF management as a result of being a shitty person in those meeting rooms as well? I can remember him voting down some proposals in the past that were generally liked amongst the other owners.

Wonder if that is why we can't get a ***** call.

***awaits fredson to come and let us all know why MB is the best***
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Mike Brown is a very successful businessman, and by most accounts, a decent enough human being. However...when it comes to addressing and understanding the consumers of his product...the man is absolutely, infuriatingly clueless.
Reply/Quote
Did anyone read what the NFL wrote about Zimmer in the power rankings? Cannot believe the FO let him go! One of the dumbest things I have seen them do in a long time. Ugh!
Reply/Quote
Is this the part where we're supposed to go Shocked ?

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(10-04-2016, 01:35 AM)J24 Wrote: Mike Brown is a terrible business man the only reason why the guy has any money is because he lucked into ownership because his dad died. If you want to laugh read what he said about the  naming rights of the stadium. As for the ring of honor it does matter because it would be the hall of fame of the Bengals.

Mike Brown is a lot of things but a "terrible business man" is not one of them.  I forgot who said it, but a national columnist once stated a number of years ago that "If I needed a guy to negotiate for me, to get me the most amount of money possible while at the same time stiffing and low-balling the competition it would be Mike Brown, hands down, game over."  

The guy knows how to make money and gets what he wants by any means necessary (i.e.; stadium deal by way of subtly threatening to move team in the 90's).
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2016, 04:41 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Mike Brown is a very successful businessman, and by most accounts, a decent enough human being. However...when it comes to addressing and understanding the consumers of his product...the man is absolutely, infuriatingly clueless.

Was his mother's name 'successful'?  Thats the only way he's acquired anything.
Reply/Quote
When reading this article, I thought it was Satire. Wow.
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2016, 04:41 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Mike Brown is a very successful businessman, and by most accounts, a decent enough human being. However...when it comes to addressing and understanding the consumers of his product...the man is absolutely, infuriatingly clueless.

Mike Brown is stuck in like 1965. It's just amazing that he is so clueless and stubborn about honoring the past and giving to the fans !!!

It's like his mind is still stuck on the day Paul Brown got fired. It's just impossible to understand him.
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2016, 04:49 PM)JumboTron Wrote: Mike Brown is a lot of things but a "terrible business man" is not one of them.  I forgot who said it, but a national columnist once stated a number of years ago that "If I needed a guy to negotiate for me, to get me the most amount of money possible while at the same time stiffing and low-balling the competition it would be Mike Brown, hands down, game over."  

The guy knows how to make money and gets what he wants by any means necessary (i.e.; stadium deal by way of subtly threatening to move team in the 90's).

Please that was an easy ass deal with him. No small market city wants to see their team leave so they will pay whatever the owner wants.
J24

Reply/Quote
(10-04-2016, 05:29 PM)J24 Wrote: Please that was an easy ass deal with him. No small market city wants to see their team leave so they will pay whatever the owner wants.

Having a small market city/county foot the entire bill for pretty much the entire cost of the facility while the team was one of the least successful professional sports franchises in the country at the time was no easy ass deal.

Shrewd.
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2016, 05:33 PM)JumboTron Wrote: Having a small market city/county foot the entire bill for pretty much the entire cost of the facility while the team was one of the least successful professional sports franchises in the country at the time was no easy ass deal.

Shrewd.
Your fooling yourself if you think that. Cities care about the prestige of owning a team and with the browns moving a year earlier Brown new he could get what ever he wanted from the city. Meanwhile the guy can't even figure out how get a business to pay for the naming rights to the stadium.  When he is in a city with multiple big cooperations in it and a city in which has a booming tech industry. The Bengals should be worth at least 2 billion but because he is such a bad businessman its worth only a billion in a half.
J24

Reply/Quote
Am I the only person who kind of likes it that he doesn't sell the naming rights to some corperation? I like it that we have one of the few stadiums named after a beloved person and not some pizza or bank.
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2016, 06:48 PM)J24 Wrote: Your fooling yourself if you think that. Cities care about the prestige of owning a team and with the browns moving a year earlier Brown new he could get what ever he wanted from the city. Meanwhile the guy can't even figure out how get a business to pay for the naming rights to the stadium.  When he is in a city with multiple big cooperations in it and a city in which has a booming tech industry. The Bengals should be worth at least 2 billion but because he is such a bad businessman its worth only a billion in a half.

You just proved my point.  Knowing when to exert tangible leverage is a key component in business management.  Presenting to the customers that this is a product they want and need (the franchise), and as you said the "prestige" of having an NFL team in Cincinnati, and showing the customers that the only way to have the product here and close is to shell out the necessary financial assets, or else a move will be imminent as seen in Cleveland.  All the while making sure that the vast majority of financial risk lies with anyone else besides the franchise itself.  

Yeah, terrible business insight.

As to the second highlighted part, I would argue given the relative small market size of the city in which it operates, the Bengals being worth "only a billion in a half" speaks to his business acumen.
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2016, 07:12 PM)BengalRed Wrote: Am I the only person who kind of likes it that he doesn't sell the naming rights to some corperation? I like it that we have one of the few stadiums named after a beloved person and not some pizza or bank.

That probably has more to do with Mike not finding a satisfactory deal in the sale of the rights to a certain business or group as opposed to any loyalty he has to the stadium bearing the name of his father.
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2016, 07:16 PM)JumboTron Wrote: You just proved my point.  Knowing when to exert tangible leverage is a key component in business management.  Presenting to the customers that this is a product they want and need (the franchise), and as you said the "prestige" of having an NFL team in Cincinnati, and showing the customers that the only way to have the product here and close is to shell out the necessary financial assets, or else a move will be imminent as seen in Cleveland.  All the while making sure that the vast majority of financial risk lies with anyone else besides the franchise itself.  

Yeah, terrible business insight.

As to the second highlighted part, I would argue given the relative small market size of the city in which it operates, the Bengals being worth "only a billion in a half" speaks to his business acumen.

thanks troy
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2016, 07:23 PM)Vas Deferens Wrote: thanks troy

Did Mike Brown make a deal that benefited him and his business?  While we may hate it and dislike him as an owner (myself included) the answer to that question is a resounding Yes.
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2016, 07:28 PM)JumboTron Wrote: Did Mike Brown make a deal that benefited him and his business?  While we may hate it and dislike him as an owner (myself included) the answer to that question is a resounding Yes.

I'm not sure you fully understood my comment.  All good.
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2016, 07:34 PM)Vas Deferens Wrote: I'm not sure you fully understood my comment.  All good.

I assume it was an effort to label me as a Mike Brown apologist, or just flat out accusing me of being Troy Blackburn.  
Reply/Quote