Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
No Tackling
There has been no tackling in practice or scrimmages.. for a team that lacked tackling skills immensely the past few years
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2020, 02:54 PM)Tony Wrote: There has been no tackling in practice or scrimmages.. Rye opening for a team that lacked tackling skills immensely the past few years...

They brought in guys that know how to tackle.
Reply/Quote
Welcome to the new NFL. At least all should be healthy at the start.
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2020, 03:04 PM)Sled21 Wrote: They brought in guys that know how to tackle.

Even guys who know how to tackle still need to practice tackling.

You never saw Tom Brady not practicing throwing, or Michael Jordan not practicing shooting just because they already know how to do it. 

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
This DOES concern me especially after how Bates went from tackling well his rookie year to being one of the worst in the
league last season. You need to practice technique regularly, every player should regardless. Good tackling Defenses are
the best in the league and win you games, bad tackling Defenses are embarrassing and lose you games as we saw last
year. Thought Taylor said we were going to practice tackling this year more and have more physical practices?
Reply/Quote
It's a pretty tricky balance. Yes, you would like to practice tackling but you don't want key players ending up on IR.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
The move to 18 games will make the first couple games "pre-season light" Which is fine you still see the starters and you don't have freak injuries in training camp
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2020, 06:26 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: This DOES concern me especially after how Bates went from tackling well his rookie year to being one of the worst in the
league last season. You need to practice technique regularly, every player should regardless. Good tackling Defenses are
the best in the league and win you games, bad tackling Defenses are embarrassing and lose you games as we saw last
year. Thought Taylor said we were going to practice tackling this year more and have more physical practices?

Yeah I thought Taylor said that practice was going to be more physical. I guess maybe that somehow doesnt include tackling? One thing is for sure, aside from pass blocking it was the worst thing we did last year. There were times I thought we were watching the keystone cops play defense for us.
Reply/Quote
Man, how sloppy is the beginning of the year going to be?

-No Minicamps
-No OTA's
-Virtual meetings held via Zoom
-Shortened Training Camps
-No Preseason games
-And apparently no tackling (WTF?)

This makes for an interesting start.

Then throw in: No fans, Electric whistles, and some players wearing full "face shields"...

Some day in future will all be able to tell the youngins we were alive to see the strangest God damn NFL season ever.
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2020, 07:44 PM)bengaloo Wrote: Yeah I thought Taylor said that practice was going to be more physical. I guess maybe that somehow doesnt include tackling? One thing is for sure, aside from pass blocking it was the worst thing we did last year. There were times I thought we were watching the keystone cops play defense for us.

No doubt, this is concerning, was feeling really excited before this.

Just hope the players have been practicing technique and they will be much better than last year. That was sad.

I want to see this Defense get back to where it was 5 years ago, this doesn't help.
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2020, 07:50 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Man, how sloppy is the beginning of the year going to be?

-No Minicamps
-No OTA's
-No Preseason games

Then throw in: No fans, Electric whistles, and some players wearing full "face shields"...

Some day in future will all be able to tell the youngins we were alive to see the strangest God damn NFL season ever.

Pretty crazy alright. Mellow
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2020, 05:08 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Even guys who know how to tackle still need to practice tackling.

You never saw Tom Brady not practicing throwing, or Michael Jordan not practicing shooting just because they already know how to do it. 

Waynes and Alexander knew how to tackle under Mike Zimmer... Our guys did too.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2020, 07:50 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Man, how sloppy is the beginning of the year going to be?

-No Minicamps
-No OTA's
-No Preseason games

... Or the first of a long line of strange God damn NFL seasons.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2020, 07:50 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Man, how sloppy is the beginning of the year going to be?

-No Minicamps
-No OTA's
-No Preseason games

Your point is well taken, but I would make one slight correction--strangest Year ever.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
Would be nice not to see the Bengals appearing in other teams highlight reels.
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2020, 02:54 PM)Tony Wrote: There has been no tackling in practice or scrimmages.. Rye opening for a team that lacked tackling skills immensely the past few years...

They tackled in the scrimmage. They went to thud later in the scrimmage to reduce injuries.
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2020, 08:00 PM)jason Wrote: ... Or the first of a long line of strange God damn NFL seasons.

I worry about that everyday.. I fear the masks, all of it is never gonna go away..
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2020, 05:08 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Even guys who know how to tackle still need to practice tackling.

Yes, I realize it is best to practice it, but since they aren't, it's a good thing people were brought in that had tackling in their strong suits... 
Reply/Quote
Yes they limited live tackling in training camp like most teams but the Bengals did emphasize tackling techniques in bag drills this year.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2020, 07:59 PM)jason Wrote: Waynes and Alexander knew how to tackle under Mike Zimmer... Our guys did too.

Waynes is gone and I think Alexander will get a suspension.  Not a big one, but something.  
Reply/Quote