Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
No huddle
I wonder if the Bengals would benefit from the no-huddle or the sugar Huddle, given the offensive line difficulties?

I think the no-huddle can be effective this week against the Buffalo Bills and wear down opposing defenses and protect the quarterback of the Cincinnati Bengals. The offensive line for the Cincinnati Bengals are more of a finesse type rather than standing and holding ground type.

They can use the running backs as wide receivers and backup tight ends of look better this year. They could always use John Ross on slot passes.

It just makes sense to me what are y'all think?
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I've always been a huge advocate for the hurry up offense. It gets the offense in sync and dictates what the defense does or needs to do.
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2017, 12:08 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: I wonder if the Bengals would benefit from the no-huddle or the sugar Huddle, given the offensive line difficulties?  

I think the no-huddle can be effective this week against the Buffalo Bills and wear down opposing defenses and protect the quarterback of the Cincinnati Bengals. The offensive line for the Cincinnati Bengals are more of a finesse type rather than standing and holding ground type.

Yeah... just because the line can not hold their ground doesn't really make it "finesse". I have yet to see the finesse, but maybe others see more than me.
If no huddle is an option would very much depend. If the defense is on the field for a long time already, it wouldn't help if the offense made their three and outs even more quickly.

(10-05-2017, 12:08 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: It just makes sense to me what are y'all think?

I'd rather see them take their time on offense.
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2017, 12:08 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: I wonder if the Bengals would benefit from the no-huddle or the sugar Huddle, given the offensive line difficulties?  

They can use the running backs as wide receivers and backup tight ends of look better this year.  They could always use John Ross on slot passes.  

umkubas.....is that you? Nervous Ninja

LMAO

In all seriousness, it couldn't hurt, could it?  Aside from the advantages that you have already outlined, Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Dalton seems to do well in the no huddle, settling into a nice rhythm, and making good reads and playcalls from it.  I would go for it if I were calling the plays.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
My worry about it is that the Bengals will throw incompletions and have really disadvantageous time of possession because they mismanage it.

But, IF we can use BOTH Bernard and Mixon and create mismatches in personnel where we get them isolated on a LB...I think it could be great.
Reply/Quote
The only problem with the No Huddle is that it puts a strain on our defense both when it works and when it doesn't. When it works, we don't keep the ball on offense very long and when it doesn't work, the defense doesn't even have time to take their helmets off.

However, I do think Dalton is pretty adept at running it so I think it could be used every so often in every game. Keep the defense on their toes, etc.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2017, 12:56 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: My worry about it is that the Bengals will throw incompletions and have really disadvantageous time of possession because they mismanage it.

But, IF we can use BOTH Bernard and Mixon and create mismatches in personnel where we get them isolated on a LB...I think it could be great.

(10-05-2017, 01:02 PM)PhilHos Wrote: The only problem with the No Huddle is that it puts a strain on our defense both when it works and when it doesn't. When it works, we don't keep the ball on offense very long and when it doesn't work, the defense doesn't even have time to take their helmets off.

However, I do think Dalton is pretty adept at running it so I think it could be used every so often in every game. Keep the defense on their toes, etc.

Good points gentlemen, maybe if we used it here and there, it would work better.  We ran it a TON when Wyche was here, and the defense held up pretty well.  Right now, we have a pretty good rotation up front to keep guys fresher on defense.  It could work, so long as the o doesn't go three and out.  Also, the o can do its part by running the play clock down close to zero to run more game clock.  The advantage and the KEY is getting the matchups you want and exploiting them by not letting the opponent sub and gassing them at the same time.  Gotta execute though.

Reply/Quote
By doing this they would be hurting the true strength of the team this year the defense.
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2017, 01:08 PM)Wyche Wrote: Good points gentlemen, maybe if we used it here and there, it would work better.  We ran it a TON when Wyche was here, and the defense held up pretty well.  Right now, we have a pretty good rotation up front to keep guys fresher on defense.  It could work, so long as the o doesn't go three and out.  Also, the o can do its part by running the play clock down close to zero to run more game clock.  The advantage and the KEY is getting the matchups you want and exploiting them by not letting the opponent sub and gassing them at the same time.  Gotta execute though.

I think the real thing this team needs is some West Coast offense components. They can't run the ball...but have 2 Rb's that are quick and can catch. Boyd and Lafell are good possession receivers.

Green is the only real deep threat we have now. (We don't know what Ross will be until he plays.)

The TE's are decent receivers on shorter passes.

I'd be turning our offense into a WC offense that took deep shots to AJ Green every now and then.
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2017, 01:35 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I think the real thing this team needs is some West Coast offense components. They can't run the ball...but have 2 Rb's that are quick and can catch. Boyd and Lafell are good possession receivers.

Green is the only real deep threat we have now. (We don't know what Ross will be until he plays.)

The TE's are decent receivers on shorter passes.

I'd be turning our offense into a WC offense that took deep shots to AJ Green every now and then.

Interesting analysis, and I'd agree with you.  We also have a QB that fits that scheme well.  Jay Gruden came in here with an Ohio River Offense scheme (not gonna call it West Coast....lol), and tabbed 14 as the guy he wanted running it.  I'd love to see it.....with a dose of no huddle sprinkled in here and there. :andy:

Reply/Quote

They can use the running backs as wide receivers and backup tight ends of look better this year.  They could always use John Ross on slot passes.  

I think your whole offense has to be well versed in their assignments on every play you call, or a no huddle is going to get Andy killed. While I assume AJ, LaFell, etc. are sure of what they are supposed to do on all plays, do you want to make that bet with Mixon or any of the struggling offensive line rotation, or with our tight ends that haven't played that much? Outside of Bodine and Boling, the oline is a revolving door  as to players and positions. I would think we need to huddle to make sure everyone has their assignments understood.....
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2017, 01:02 PM)PhilHos Wrote: The only problem with the No Huddle is that it puts a strain on our defense both when it works and when it doesn't. When it works, we don't keep the ball on offense very long and when it doesn't work, the defense doesn't even have time to take their helmets off.

Yep.  When it works it's grand, but if the offense still struggles it is going to lead to lightning fast 3-and-outs which can lead to a very gassed defense falling apart.
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2017, 12:54 PM)Wyche Wrote: umkubas.....is that you? Nervous Ninja

LMAO
I don't think so. There was no mention of USC Quarterback Matt Barkley. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote

It works great as long as you move the chains and score.  Where it hurts is if you don't make first downs.  Bad time of possession = worn down defense.

I just don't think the line is good enough to continually sustain drives in a hurry up.  Defense would be on the field way too much and that's not a good thing - more opportunities for the other offense to score points.   Or the glass half full person might say more opportunities for the defense to score!
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2017, 12:56 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: My worry about it is that the Bengals will throw incompletions and have really disadvantageous time of possession because they mismanage it.

Certainly thats a concern but with short quick passes drops and 3 and outs shouldn't happen.........I hate to put our D at any disadvantage as they are going to need to carry us but a quick no huddle I think could certainly help keep the opposing D a bit off
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
What might be an effective use is to go No Huddle in the middle of a drive. Start off huddling. Get a couple first downs and then just go No Huddle out of nowhere.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2017, 03:28 PM)PhilHos Wrote: What might be an effective use is to go No Huddle in the middle of a drive. Start off huddling. Get a couple first downs and then just go No Huddle out of nowhere.

That may work.  Make the No-Huddle unpredictable.  The key would be getting Gio and Mixon involved on short passes.  
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(10-05-2017, 01:40 PM)Wyche Wrote: Interesting analysis, and I'd agree with you.  We also have a QB that fits that scheme well.  Jay Gruden came in here with an Ohio River Offense scheme (not gonna call it West Coast....lol), and tabbed 14 as the guy he wanted running it.  I'd love to see it.....with a dose of no huddle sprinkled in here and there. :andy:

If the Bengals want to do it, they should pick a predetermined series, like their third possession...come out in a so-called "run heavy" formation with Uzo(assuming he is healthy and would be the H-back for Hewitt) and Mixon, Kroft, AJ Green, and (Aw hell, it is my post) Cody Core.

First down, run a power run rush with Uzo as lead blocker.  Regardless of the result of the play, hurry up to the line and split Uzo, Core, Kroft and Green out as receivers with Mixon as the single back.  You have a number of plays you can attack their base formation with this pass-heavy formation.  Don't sub and don't let them sub...better yet, maybe act like they will have time to sub and do a quick sanp with a free play bomb.

I am a fan of creativity.  Just ramming your head against a wall doesn't make sense.
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2017, 03:28 PM)PhilHos Wrote: What might be an effective use is to go No Huddle in the middle of a drive. Start off huddling. Get a couple first downs and then just go No Huddle out of nowhere.

Fantastic!

Reply/Quote

Not early, get into a rhythm first and then go quick. Dalton is at his best as most QB's and RB's when they get into a rhythm.

Fast 3 and outs can kill yah man. Early on go slow till we find that rhythm then hit the gas and never take our foot off.

This is the way i would always call the Offense. West Coast style with the no huddle. Gio and Mixon on the field at the same time etc.
Reply/Quote