Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
No love from NFL.COM: Midseason awards
Sure, an 8-0 team should have no midseason awards. Sure, a 16-0 team will have no awards.

The Bengals are going to win the superbowl going 19-0 and that is the only award they will get. That will be my signature for the rest of my life after this season.
[Image: 43325991030_4d39723a8f.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(11-07-2015, 06:40 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Comeback player is reserved for a player who was great, but hit a rough patch, whether that be injuries, controversies, suspensions or general ineffectiveness, back to being great. What did Eifert come back from? A mildly disappointing rookie year and a few good catches in a quarter of football last year?

Jon Kitna won it in 2003 and he never had a "great" season before that. Btw, to deem Eifert's rookie season as "mildly disappointing" is ridiculous. Maybe to those who actually believed our 2 TE's would look like Gronk/Hernandez, but that was a silly idea to begin with. 445 yards in 15 games as a 2nd TE is actually quite good in the NFL. Especially for a rookie.

(11-07-2015, 08:04 PM)Aquapod770 Wrote: Come on now. Yes Dalton is having an MVP type season, but Brady is playing possibly the best season of his career.

Brady would get my vote (by a slim margin), but Dalton already won POM for October over Brady. 

So it's not like it's a silly notion.

(11-08-2015, 11:53 AM)pally Wrote: MVP- Tom Brady...Cam Newton and Andy should be in the conversations.  Again hinges on the post season

I keep hearing this, but why? 

Sure, I get that Newton is 7-0 and that his WR's are crap. I get that he puts up good rushing numbers. His passing numbers are awful though. One site I was reading said that he's had games where more than half his throws were off-target. That team is undefeated thanks to their defense. Cam deserves MVP talk about as much as Peyton Manning. I'm actually a pro-Cam guy too. 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(11-08-2015, 03:29 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Jon Kitna won it in 2003 and he never had a "great" season before that.

Brady would get my vote (by a slim margin), but Dalton already won POM for October over Brady. 

So it's not like it's a silly notion.

I keep hearing this, but why? 

Sure, I get that Newton is 7-0 and that his WR's are crap. I get that he puts up good rushing numbers. His passing numbers are awful though. One site I was reading said that he's had games where more than half his throws were off-target. That team is undefeated thanks to their defense. Cam deserves MVP talk about as much as Peyton Manning. I'm actually a pro-Cam guy too. 

His receiving options aren't crap. He get's the same excuse engine that Luck gets, being #1 picks with their physical ability. 

It's bullshit.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(11-08-2015, 03:32 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: His receiving options aren't crap. He get's the same excuse engine that Luck gets, being #1 picks with their physical ability. 

It's bullshit.

Olsen is great. His WR's?  Sick

If Benjamin were healthy, I'd be right there with ya.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(11-08-2015, 03:37 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Olsen is great. His WR's?  Sick

If Benjamin were healthy, I'd be right there with ya.

Look at Cam's stats last year with the year Benjamin and Olsen had. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(11-08-2015, 04:01 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Look at Cam's stats last year with the year Benjamin and Olsen had. 

He wasn't good last year, but he's been worse this year. 

His completion % and passer rating are both down 4 points from last year.

Either way, my argument wasn't that Cam is a great QB. He's playing poorly regardless of who his WR's are.
Reply/Quote
(11-08-2015, 04:12 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: He wasn't good last year, but he's been worse this year. 

His completion % and passer rating are both down 4 points from last year.

Either way, my argument wasn't that Cam is a great QB. He's playing poorly regardless of who his WR's are.

I agree. I'm against the Cam for MVP talk and really disagree with the argument that he does so much with so little. Cam falls into the same trap Ben and Luck do. He's so big and strong he's willing to hold onto the ball longer to make a big, unscripted play. Those guys get sacked more often so it's always said that their lines suck, etc, etc. No. The problem is, they hold the ball and cause the problems. 

Reply/Quote
(11-07-2015, 06:19 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: Brady, Bellicheat all over the place.

One vote out of the whole page for Marvin as coach, every other position had zero votes.

How does T. Eifert not get a single vote for comeback player?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000572453/article/nfl-midseason-predictions-mvp-rookie-of-the-year-and-more

I'm confused...
Are you surprised or complaining?

Reply/Quote
(11-08-2015, 03:29 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Jon Kitna won it in 2003 and he never had a "great" season before that.

He was 6th in the league in passing tds and 9th in yards in 1999 when he led the Seahawks to the playoffs.

NBot exactly "great" but plenty good enough to give him a level to "come back" to.
Reply/Quote
(11-08-2015, 05:59 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I agree. I'm against the Cam for MVP talk and really disagree with the argument that he does so much with so little. Cam falls into the same trap Ben and Luck do. He's so big and strong he's willing to hold onto the ball longer to make a big, unscripted play. Those guys get sacked more often so it's always said that their lines suck, etc, etc. No. The problem is, they hold the ball and cause the problems. 

Agree 100%. It works for Ben more often than anyone else, but Luck and Cam cause a lot of their own problems holding on to the football. You could also argue that Ben has caused his own injuries (today's included) by dancing around trying to make those unscripted plays.
Reply/Quote
(11-08-2015, 06:18 PM)fredtoast Wrote: He was 6th in the league in passing tds and 9th in yards in 1999 when he led the Seahawks to the playoffs.

NBot exactly "great" but plenty good enough to give him a level to "come back" to.

You're cherry picking good stats. He're the other stats: 

18th in passer rating
5th most INT's 
somewhere below 29th in completion % (pro football database only listed the top 29) 

Simply put, he was not "great". He wasn't even good.

Now compare that to when he won the award, 4 years later:

9th in passer rating
10th in completion %
5th in TD passes
7th in yards
10th most INT's (tied with 3 others)

It wasn't a "comeback" for Kitna, it was a career year. His previous high passer rating was 77.7. He was at 87.4 in 2003, which was nearly a 10 point jump.
Reply/Quote