Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
No one to blame but ourselves.
(03-11-2017, 04:38 PM)Beaker Wrote: So keeping those 2 and overpaying them would have reduced the number of sacks the other players gave up?

Now you're just getting silly.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(03-11-2017, 04:39 PM)McC Wrote: Now you're just getting silly.

Think about it. Overpaying two pieces of a crappy O line doesn't fix the problem. Who's to say the light doesn't come on for Ogbuehi after a full offseason of lifting, OTAs, minicamps and a full preseason? Who's to say Fisher doesn't accelerate his growth in year 2? Point is, you don't know how it will play out. You simply assume it has to be worse. How many times have the fans wanted players gone, and a season or two later those players are thriving? Fans havezero patience and always think they know better than the coaches who are around the players every day and see their development.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2017, 04:38 PM)Beaker Wrote: So keeping those 2 and overpaying them would have reduced the number of sacks the other players gave up?

Maybe...maybe not.  However....had they planned ahead...extended Zeitler...then tagged or extended Whit after week 6 last season when they saw what a dumpster fire Og was....they wouldn't be overpaying....have options at RG and LT....and maybe have money to address our God awful C and find a stop gap RT.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2017, 04:45 PM)Beaker Wrote: Think about it. Overpaying two pieces of a crappy O line doesn't fix the problem. Who's to say the light doesn't come on for Ogbuehi after a full offseason of lifting, OTAs, minicamps and a full preseason? Who's to say Fisher doesn't accelerate his growth in year 2? Point is, you don't know how it will play out. You simply assume it has to be worse. How many times have the fans wanted players gone, and a season or two later those players are thriving? Fans havezero patience and always think they know better than the coaches who are around the players every day and see their development.

I agree with your premise as stated here....my way provided some insurance I guess.  Here's the difference.....I don't trust this staff for shit....you do.  I guess seeing that....we'll always split opinion here.

Reply/Quote
(03-11-2017, 04:47 PM)Wyche Wrote: Maybe...maybe not.  However....had they planned ahead...extended Zeitler...then tagged or extended Whit after week 6 last season when they saw what a dumpster fire Og was....they wouldn't be overpaying....have options at RG and LT....and maybe have money to address our God awful C and find a stop gap RT.

From what has been written since those two signed, it sounds like they would not have signed any deals first. It was clearly stated that Whit's agent told him to go to FA and test the market before re-signing. How do you know what advice Z was getting? So your ideas are all nice...but they aren't reality because you don't know the circumstances of the negotiations.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2017, 04:45 PM)Beaker Wrote: Think about it. Overpaying two pieces of a crappy O line doesn't fix the problem. Who's to say the light doesn't come on for Ogbuehi after a full offseason of lifting, OTAs, minicamps and a full preseason? Who's to say Fisher doesn't accelerate his growth in year 2? Point is, you don't know how it will play out. You simply assume it has to be worse. How many times have the fans wanted players gone, and a season or two later those players are thriving? Fans havezero patience and always think they know better than the coaches who are around the players every day and see their development.

The two best on that crappy line, the two who DIDN'T give up a bunch of sacks are gone.  So now, you're crappy minus two. 

For a franchise with such an overwhelming fear of the unknown, that is a shitload of it.  You could almost make the case they're trying to doom their lame duck coach to fail.

As to Bengal fans being impatient, come on.  When you're a Bengal fan, you learn to recognize things before they happen because they've so often happened in the past.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
Some players deserve to be rewarded and Whit is one who did.

He will never get 36 million unless he is in the Pro Bowl each year.

They will give him his 13 million this year and 8 million next year (if he plays well this season) and then release him making it an average of 10.5 million a year.

Or release him after one year and pay the 2 million that is guaranteed still and move on.

Not a bad gamble at all for a viable LT imo.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2017, 04:56 PM)McC Wrote: The two best on that crappy line, the two who DIDN'T give up a bunch of sacks are gone.  So now, you're crappy minus two. 

For a franchise with such an overwhelming fear of the unknown, that is a shitload of it.  You could almost make the case they're trying to doom their lame duck coach to fail.

As to Bengal fans being impatient, come on.  When you're a Bengal fan, you learn to recognize things before they happen because they've so often happened in the past.

We've know for several years that Whit's time was nearly up. They even tried to plan for it by drafting 2 OTs a year or two early to let them apprentice under Whit and transition into his spot when he leaves. Him moving on maybe a season early doesn't change what had to happen anyway. 
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2017, 04:51 PM)Beaker Wrote: From what has been written since those two signed, it sounds like they would not have signed any deals first. It was clearly stated that Whit's agent told him to go to FA and test the market before re-signing. How do you know what advice Z was getting? So your ideas are all nice...but they aren't reality because you don't know the circumstances of the negotiations.

It was in an article....you'll have ask Bengal Dude about the link.....that they offered him Clint Bolings deal.  Then....several months later....DeCastro got paid and that was that.  We didn't even offer him a deal immediately before...or after FA.  While I don't know the exact details....by looking between the lines of DeCastro cash and Bolings deal.....you can kind of extrapolate.

This part is a hunch though....I feel Whit got rubbed the wrong way by our owner's charming personality.  That led to his departure as much as anything.  Still yet....coulda transition tagged him and got trade value....right?  Stupid move.

Reply/Quote
(03-11-2017, 05:01 PM)Wyche Wrote: It was in an article....you'll have ask Bengal Dude about the link.....that they offered him Clint Bolings deal.  Then....several months later....DeCastro got paid and that was that.  We didn't even offer him a deal immediately before...or after FA.  While I don't know the exact details....by looking between the lines of DeCastro cash and Bolings deal.....you can kind of extrapolate.

The Bengals don't value Gs at OT kind of money. That's what decastro got, and that's what Z got. Whit was considered a very good OT...he got $12M per....so did Z. Again, the Bengals are not going to pay a G the same money as an OT.
Reply/Quote