Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
No talk of IR for AJ. Zac still confident he'll play this year.
I'm worried Ross is influencing AJ more than AJ influencing Ross.
Reply/Quote
(12-04-2019, 10:31 PM)jason Wrote: There's not a player with a brain in this league that would come back to a 1-11 team with no contract past this season... And that's supposing that he's actually all the way healed. I just heard Lap say the other day that he's actually seen the swelling in his ankle. Ocho was beatin' the drum when the injury happened that it was the same injury Tyler Eifert had in the pro bowl. The 6-8 week timeframe was BS from the get go.

Not sure how you figure that. If he can't get healthy how does that not impact what his next team will be willing to pay?
Reply/Quote
So quick for our fans on this board to see the truth with AJ instead of defending someone we don't even know. Hell, it doesn't really matter, he probably really is still injured, but I can't believe he'd actually want to stay with this team afterwards.
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2019, 10:56 AM)R3stangs Wrote: Not sure how you figure that. If he can't get healthy how does that not impact what his next team will be willing to pay?

I didn't say anything about pay... All I said is he isn't getting paid past this year. He may or may not be healthy.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(12-04-2019, 10:01 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: I still don't think AJ is a quitter. I believe if he felt capable of being out there he would. I know a lot of people don't think this is true, but unless AJ has some really hard to read facade about who he is, it just doesn't seem to fit his character....

It IS possible that he is heavily influenced by his agent/wife/buddies about doing so... but I just don't see AJ as the type to sit out if healthy. He isn't about the money or the fame... or so we were lead to believe.

It's also possible AJ has reached his breaking point and he's a super chill dude but even he has his limits.  It's also possible the past few years and injuries have made him realize his NFL mortality and have altered his approach to his career. He wouldn't be the first person to come in here as a young standout in his field and then start to get older and more banged up and see realize he only has so much time left and shift his priorities and loyalties accordingly.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-04-2019, 10:31 PM)jason Wrote: There's not a player with a brain in this league that would come back to a 1-11 team with no contract past this season... And that's supposing that he's actually all the way healed. I just heard Lap say the other day that he's actually seen the swelling in his ankle. Ocho was beatin' the drum when the injury happened that it was the same injury Tyler Eifert had in the pro bowl. The 6-8 week timeframe was BS from the get go.

This is my belief.  I think the surgery didn't go all that well and the ankle has subsequently gone bad.  Is AJ going to say this?  No way in hell.  It's easier to just to wait it out.  It'd be career suicide to reveal that it was a botched surgery or even perhaps he damaged some of the ligaments during his "setback".  I think it's pretty obvious he's not even close to playing yet.

Keep quiet, blame it on the swelling and wait to heal.  I think the Bengals will use this information to their advantage next season during contract talks, in which I do believe they will resign him for a team-friendly deal.  This could possibly play out in exactly the same fashion as the Antonio Bryant debacle.  
"Our offensive line is going to surprise a lot of people" - Mike Brown (7-26-21)
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2019, 12:28 PM)jason Wrote: I didn't say anything about pay... All I said is he isn't getting paid past this year. He may or may not be healthy.

You said no player with a brain comes back this year to a 1-11 team. I'm saying thats not true. If he can't prove he's healthy and can get back on the field it will likely impact his contract with another team. People are likely to pay more for a player they know is ready to play versus one who hasn't been on the field in over a year. 
Reply/Quote
That bum is going to sit out all year over a sprained ankle.
Reply/Quote
what a genius move not to trade him katie. just bang up work you're doing there.
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2019, 05:17 PM)Vas Deferens Wrote: what a genius move not to trade him katie.  just bang up work you're doing there.

What were they offered for a player under contract for only 8 games who could not even play?
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2019, 05:10 PM)R3stangs Wrote: You said no player with a brain comes back this year to a 1-11 team. I'm saying thats not true. If he can't prove he's healthy and can get back on the field it will likely impact his contract with another team. People are likely to pay more for a player they know is ready to play versus one who hasn't been on the field in over a year. 

If he comes back and reinjures it, or something else pops up it's even worse. If we don't franchise him, or sign him New England, Philadelphia, or someone else will. Worst case scenario for AJ he signs an incentive laden deal.

If we were competitive, and he were healthy, or close to it, I think AJ would be out there.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2019, 05:10 PM)R3stangs Wrote: You said no player with a brain comes back this year to a 1-11 team. I'm saying thats not true. If he can't prove he's healthy and can get back on the field it will likely impact his contract with another team. People are likely to pay more for a player they know is ready to play versus one who hasn't been on the field in over a year. 

That's assuming other teams would hold it against him to sit out of this mess.  He might be better off saying he would rather be 100% for his next team than risk injury playing meaningless games for a squad that was dead on arrival.
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2019, 11:25 PM)Nately120 Wrote: That's assuming other teams would hold it against him to sit out of this mess.  He might be better off saying he would rather be 100% for his next team than risk injury playing meaningless games for a squad that was dead on arrival.

Most owners are going to look at it from the standpoint that if a player is going to continue to cash the gamechecks, he should suit up and play if able.  

If you're an NFL GM looking to sign FA's, you definitely aren't going to be looking to sign guys that would just shut it down because the season it lost.  If the team is in a down year, a couple more wins down the stretch may be the difference in whether you have a job next year or not. 
Reply/Quote
(12-04-2019, 08:48 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: No reason to get injured and risk not getting a decent contract, this team isn't going anywhere.

Don't blame AJ one bit.

He's getting $1 million a game.  I blame him completely if he's actually able to go.  
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
One thing is clear. We can't criticize the Bengals for not trading him because he could have never passed a physical to be traded.
Reply/Quote
(12-06-2019, 12:41 AM)Whatever Wrote: Most owners are going to look at it from the standpoint that if a player is going to continue to cash the gamechecks, he should suit up and play if able.  

If you're an NFL GM looking to sign FA's, you definitely aren't going to be looking to sign guys that would just shut it down because the season it lost.  If the team is in a down year, a couple more wins down the stretch may be the difference in whether you have a job next year or not. 

He will have missed...what his last 25 games IF he doesn't play this year.

That said, this is the Bengals and I think other GM's know that this is a dysfunctional franchise. IF AJ were like I could have played Week 8, but it's the Bengals...they might all laugh and move on.

That said, AJ's best years were on his rookie contract. After that, I think he's only been fully healthy 1 year. He's great when he plays still...or atleast was. I think that's going to scare some teams off.
Reply/Quote
(12-06-2019, 10:43 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: He will have missed...what his last 25 games IF he doesn't play this year.

That said, this is the Bengals and I think other GM's know that this is a dysfunctional franchise. IF AJ were like I could have played Week 8, but it's the Bengals...they might all laugh and move on.

That said, AJ's best years were on his rookie contract. After that, I think he's only been fully healthy 1 year. He's great when he plays still...or atleast was. I think that's going to scare some teams off.

What you're talking about would be akin to someone coming into a job interview and saying "Yeah, I committed Worker's Comp fraud at my  previous job, but it was a miserable place to work.  I'm sure your workplace is better, though, so don't worry about it."
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2019, 09:40 PM)jason Wrote: If he comes back and reinjures it, or something else pops up it's even worse. If we don't franchise him, or sign him New England, Philadelphia, or someone else will. Worst case scenario for AJ he signs an incentive laden deal.

If we were competitive, and he were healthy, or close to it, I think AJ would be out there.

You're just proving my point. Its going to cost him money by not playing. An incentive deal will work highly against him because he obviously can't stay on the field.

On top of this if the Bengals offer him a contract they should get a 20 million dollar discount for what he's made the past year for doing exactly nothing. And I sincerely hope we don't tag him because he's not worth that much at this point.
Reply/Quote
(12-06-2019, 11:36 AM)R3stangs Wrote: You're just proving my point. Its going to cost him money by not playing. An incentive deal will work highly against him because he obviously can't stay on the field.

On top of this if the Bengals offer him a contract they should get a 20 million dollar discount for what he's made the past year for doing exactly nothing. And I sincerely hope we don't tag him because he's not worth that much at this point.

No... He's getting paid now, and I said at the very least he gets an incentive laden deal. Someone will probably pay him. He obviously can't stay healthy... until he does.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(12-06-2019, 11:27 AM)Whatever Wrote: What you're talking about would be akin to someone coming into a job interview and saying "Yeah, I committed Worker's Comp fraud at my  previous job, but it was a miserable place to work.  I'm sure your workplace is better, though, so don't worry about it."

It's not fraud what AJ's doing. It's gray area. I'm sure he has some soreness and swelling. I'm sure a lot of guys play injured all the time. But, on a team with no wins, why push it?

And the Bengals seem ok with him not playing. Look how they called Cordy Glenn out?

Have you ever sprained an ankle? It can take several months for all of the pain to go away. AJ had surgery.
Reply/Quote