Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
No trade 2023 redraft using a draft simulator
This isn't to hate on the players we actually drafted. We don't know what will happen in the next few years. However this does show how much talent can be had in later rounds. I used https://www.nflmockdraftdatabase.com/mock-draft-simulator for it.

28 Dawand Jones OT | Ohio State C+
60 Sam LaPorta TE | Iowa A+
92 Jordan Battle S | Alabama A+
131 Puka Nacua WR | BYU D+
163 T.J. Bass IOL | Oregon D
206 Starling Thomas V CB | UAB B
246 Tommy DeVito QB | Illinois D

Note that one could swap out Jordan Battle for Chase Brown without issue here. I think Chase was gone by my 4th round pick though and Puka is probably a bigger get anyways.

It is a more offensive draft than one might hope. We don't get Myles in the first or either of the DJs. Our defensive backs room might be weaker in general. Of course if we are going back in time I would strongly encourage paying Jessie Bates and not signing Nick Scott (or Irv Smith Jr for that matter). Obviously it is a pricier solution but it is more the extra ~$10 million.

Anyways this draft actually starts to strongly address our offensive line. Dawand Jones flashed in the playing time he got this year. Same with TJ Bass to a lesser extent (he would be a better depth piece than any we currently have). And we saw Tommy Devito put up respectable numbers with the Giants, so you could start with 3 QBs and have a long term solution at back up QB as he would be on the roster for the next 4 years (I'm not against keeping Jake too). 

And then you get your two weapons. Drafting Puka and LaPorta mean that even if Tee is eventually not a Bengal you'll still have three serious weapons (with JChase of course) for years. Yeah RB is another weakness. Devin Singletary in FA might've been an answer. Or, as I said, you could swap out Jordan Battle. You plug in Chase Brown with that pick or you could get Devon Achane who had 800 yards. If you cut Mixon back then I am guessing you would have close to enough cap space to keep Von Bell (making up for not getting Jordan Battle). 

So why do a redraft? Well it reminds me that "reaches" and "grades" are all concepts that hurt your when drafting. You find good players, and then you try to work the draft structure to get as many of them as you can while filling needs. No one could say for sure but the above draft could have been a playoff team AND set us up for success into the future. And that is true despite having real deficiencies.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Honestly I'm fine with the way things fell.

I would certainly like to get Puka at 163. Otherwise I think we made out pretty good.

I tried a couple redrafts quick and you can get Jamyr Gybbs or Jawan Jones at 28, and I had Addison and Zay Flowers fall as well.
You can also consistently get Laporta at 60, although none of this happened if I recall correctly.

Getting Puka at 163 would definitely be nice though.
Have our WRs set, and this year there seem to be a lot of slot options in the mid-rounds.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote