Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Noah Spence
Did not realize he was drafted so high (#39) or that he had 5.5 sacks and 12 QB hits in just 572 snaps his rookie year (2016).

His playing time increased his second season until he had a season ending shoulder injury. Since then he has barely hung on in the NFL. Only 45 defensive snaps for Tampa Bay in 2018; 85 defensive snaps for Washington in 2019; zero snaps for New Orleans in 2020; 56 snaps for the Bengals last year (40 in the season finale against the Browns).

So what is the deal with this guy? Did he never recover from the shoulder injury way back in 2017? Or has he had other injuries since then?

Any chance he could re-gain his form from his rookie season? He is still just 28.
Reply/Quote
(05-23-2022, 08:52 PM)fredtoast Wrote: So what is the deal with this guy?  Did he never recover from the shoulder injury way back in 2017?  Or has he had other injuries since then?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noah_Spence#New_Orleans_Saints

Quote:On March 23, 2020, Spence re-signed with the Saints. He was placed on the reserve/non-football injury list on May 26, 2020, after suffering a torn ACL.

Quote:On March 2, 2021, Spence re-signed with the Saints on a one-year contract. He was released on August 17, 2021.

Bengals signed him August 22 last year waived him August 31st and then signed to practice squad.  Got some limited play at the end of the year.  Most of which was during the week 18 Browns game.  Signed to a reserve/future contract in February this year.  So probably just a camp/practice squad body.  As for chances of him performing like his rookie season, it would certainly be a great find if he did.  But given his history I think it is doubtful.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(05-23-2022, 09:04 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote:  As for chances of him performing like his rookie season, it would certainly be a great find if he did.  But given his history I think it is doubtful.  

I had actually found that about his time with the Saints, but he barely played the two seasons before that with Washington and Tampa Bay.  If he was going to flash back to that form he would have shown it before now.

Here is a little tidbit to show you what a crap shoot the draft is.  When I was looking for Spence's forty time I came across multiple stories where they were debating who was the best edge rusher in the draft between Spence, Von Miller, and Khalil Mack.  Some said Spence.
Reply/Quote
(05-23-2022, 09:59 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I had actually found that about his time with the Saints

Weird, then why did you ask in your OP if he had injuries since 2017 if you had actually found about his time with the Saints? Seems if you did you would have known about the ACL injury.   Tongue

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(05-23-2022, 10:07 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: Weird, then why did you ask in your OP if he had injuries since 2017 if you had actually found about his time with the Saints?  Seems if you did you would have known about the ACL injury.    Tongue

Because it did not explain why he barely played the two years before the injury with the Saints.  And I did not feel like digging deeper than Wikipedia.

Since Spence is a former OSU player I thought some guys here might have been following what was happening with him.
Reply/Quote
You never know with these injury plagued guys.. Sometimes they just need a few years to pull it all back together, sometimes they never do.. I'll be rooting for him although doubtful..
I'll really be rooting for a real dark horse, Daramy-Swaray At 5'7" and a buck 75.. You have to root for him.  it's mandated. Who Dey
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(05-24-2022, 01:01 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Because it did not explain why he barely played the two years before the injury with the Saints.  And I did not feel like digging deeper than Wikipedia.

Since Spence is a former OSU player I thought some guys here might have been following what was happening with him.

He finished up at EKU and played very well for the Colonels. I was hoping he'd go on to have a good career, but it seems the injury bug got him.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(05-23-2022, 09:04 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noah_Spence#New_Orleans_Saints

Bengals signed him August 22 last year waived him August 31st and then signed to practice squad.  Got some limited play at the end of the year.  Most of which was during the week 18 Browns game.  Signed to a reserve/future contract in February this year.  So probably just a camp/practice squad body.  As for chances of him performing like his rookie season, it would certainly be a great find if he did.  But given his history I think it is doubtful.  

Hoped Spence would of started to show something here, too bad as I think you are right George and it is doubtful.

He is still just 28 though as Fred said. Yah never know but will be tough sledding with Hendrickson, Hubbard, Ossai, Sample, 
Kareem, Hubert and now Gunter all most likely in front of him. Plus Hicks the UDFA who is quite the pass rusher.
Reply/Quote