Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
North Carolina House Passes Bill Voiding All Local LGBT Nondiscrimination Ordinances
(03-23-2016, 10:09 PM)fredtoast Wrote: And I don't see why a business owner would claim that her "religious beliefs" keep her from serving anyone from the LGBT community when not all of them are gay.

So BOTH sides are guilty of using the terms "LGBT" and "gay" interchangeably.

But despite Bfines hang up with semantics (surprise!) it is still sad that the State General Assembly supports discrimination against members of the LGBT community.

Oh the two wrongs make a right fallacy. The title of the article was to get the Rubes worked up about all the Gays in NC having their rights taken away (Semantics as you say). The first few posts in this thread shows that it worked.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(03-23-2016, 10:12 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Oh the two wrongs make a right fallacy. The title of the article was to get the Rubes worked up about all the Gays in NC having their rights taken away (Semantics as you say). The first few posts in this thread shows that it worked.

I only see one wrong, discrimination against the LGBT community.  

Where is the other one?
(03-23-2016, 10:17 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I only see one wrong, discrimination against the LGBT community.  

Where is the other one?

But this ordinance does not do that unless you listen to the echo chamber, It specifically says they cannot; it simply says you have to use the facility that matches you birth sex.

I get it, you got duped by the title of the thread and the commentary of a biased article and starting running off at the mouth, correcting folks, and such. Now you are trying to save face by coming up with bumper sticker slogans. 

(03-23-2016, 10:23 PM)bfine32 Wrote: But this ordinance does not do that unless you listen to the echo chamber, It specifically says they cannot; it simply says you have to use the facility that matches you birth sex. 

I can agree with you that it does not discriminate against gays.

But it still discriminates against transgender people who are not gay.

So it still involves discrimination.
[Image: 032416.jpg]

http://usuncut.com/resistance/north-carolina-anti-lgbt-bathroom-law/
[Image: giphy.gif]
I will be taking no further questions at this time.
they were worried about their women getting assaulted by the scary trans

if someone wants to assault you that badly, they will do it whether they allowed in the bathroom or not

https://acluofnorthcarolina.org/blog/pro-equality-groups-considering-legal-challenge-to-north-carolina-s-sweeping-anti-lgbt-law.html

Quote:RALEIGH – Today, Lambda Legal, the American Civil Liberties Union, the ACLU of North Carolina, and Equality North Carolina condemned North Carolina Gov. Pat McCrory signing into law a sweeping anti-LGBT measure, HB 2, and announced that the organizations are exploring legal challenges to the discriminatory law.

“Today was a devastating day for LGBT North Carolinians and particularly our transgender community members who have been subjected to months of distorted rhetoric culminating in today’s display of bias and ignorance by North Carolina lawmakers. We are disappointed that Governor McCrory did not do right by North Carolina’s families, communities, and businesses by vetoing this horribly discriminatory bill, but this will not be the last word,” said Chris Brook, Legal Director of the ACLU of North Carolina. “The ACLU, Lambda Legal, and Equality NC are reviewing all options, including litigation.

“We expect the ACLU’s and Lambda Legal’s Legal Help Desks will light up with calls from those who suffer discrimination imposed by this law, and we stand ready to help,” said Tara Borelli, Senior Attorney with Lambda Legal. ”This law is in direct conflict with protections provided to students under Title IX and could cause the state to lose billions in federal funds. Instead of solving any real problems, the law would create new ones and could lead to intolerable and unfair conditions for transgender students who are entitled, by federal law, to a safe and equitable education.”

“HB 2 is an undisguised attack on LGBT people and the efforts of one city to protect gay and transgender North Carolinians against discrimination,” said Chris Sgro, Executive Director of Equality NC. “This cruel and insulting bill is about more than bathroom access, it’s about fairness in employment, education, and local governance. It aims to override local school board policies, local public accommodations laws, and more. This law also violates many other federal statutes and the United States Constitution by attempting to mandate discrimination in government buildings”

I expect this to be challenged and overturned, because if they thought the school system was bad now, it will only get worse

http://www.commondreams.org/newswire/2016/03/24/aclu-nc-denounces-passage-most-extreme-anti-lgbt-bill-nation

Quote:RALEIGH - The North Carolina General Assembly today convened a $42,000 special session to introduce and pass House Bill 2, an unprecedented bill that overrides a recently passed LGBT nondiscrimination ordinance in Charlotte, prevents local governments from enacting a range of nondiscrimination and employment policies, and jeopardizes billions of dollars in federal funds that North Carolina schools receive through Title IX.

The Charlotte ordinance protected lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender residents from discrimination in public accommodations including restaurants, hotels, taxis and bathrooms. Among other protections, it allowed transgender men and transgender women to use the restroom that corresponds to their gender identity. HB2, which now goes to Governor Pat McCrory for his signature or veto, removes the ability of any local government to protect people from discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation or gender identity and requires all public facilities, including schools, to allow restroom access only on the basis of “biological sex.” It also jeopardizes the more than $4.5 billion in federal funding that North Carolina receives for secondary and post-secondary schools under Title IX, which prohibits sex discrimination, including discrimination against transgender students.

“Rather than expand nondiscrimination laws to protect all North Carolinians, the General Assembly instead spent $42,000 to rush through an extreme bill that undoes all local nondiscrimination laws and specifically excludes gay and transgender people from legal protections,” said Sarah Preston, acting Executive Director of the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) of North Carolina. “The manner in which legislators passed the most extreme anti-LGBT bill in the nation – voting hours after it was unveiled without adequate public debate – flies in the face of fairness and democracy. Legislators have gone out of their way to stigmatize and marginalize transgender North Carolinians by pushing ugly and fundamentally untrue stereotypes that are based on fear and ignorance and not supported by the experiences of more than 200 cities with these protections. Transgender men are men; transgender women are women. They deserve to use the appropriate restroom in peace, just like everyone else. We urge Governor McCrory to veto this extreme, far reaching and misguided bill.”

More than 200 cities, including Myrtle Beach and Columbia, South Carolina, have adopted nondiscrimination ordinances similar to Charlotte’s without negative consequences.

The North Carolina League of Municipalities, Attorney General Roy Cooper, Red Hat, and Dow Chemical were among those who came out in opposition to the bill today, in addition to major companies including Apple, Siemens, Microsoft, and AT&T who supported the Charlotte ordinance.

A Public Policy Polling survey released on March 22 showed widespread, bipartisan agreement among state voters that the legislature should leave Charlotte’s ordinance alone.
People suck
(03-24-2016, 03:48 PM)Griever Wrote: they were worried about their women getting assaulted by the scary trans

if someone wants to assault you that badly, they will do it whether they allowed in the bathroom or not

https://acluofnorthcarolina.org/blog/pro-equality-groups-considering-legal-challenge-to-north-carolina-s-sweeping-anti-lgbt-law.html

I expect this to be challenged and overturned, because if they thought the school system was bad now, it will only get worse

http://www.commondreams.org/newswire/2016/03/24/aclu-nc-denounces-passage-most-extreme-anti-lgbt-bill-nation

Look, LGBT make up a collective 3.8% of the population.  Trans, a small percentage of that group.  Why is it so bad that a State defend the wishes of the rest of the 96.2%?  Living in NC, I've seen plenty of footage on the news, from both sides.  Supporters of HB2, appear to resemble average American family folk.  When they show footage of the protesters, they resemble a group of counter culture freaks.  And they weren't the "masses" that some would lead you to believe, they were very small groups.  News polls, here in NC, showed that up to 73% of adults were supportive of HB2.  It's not about discriminating against any group, they can still use the restroom, just the one that coincides with their equipment.  ONE State has decided to make a stand against Liberal bullying of the rest of the general public, and all of the sudden it is an outrage?  Perhaps that is why outsider candidates like Donald Trump are gaining momentum..

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
I do think if you have a penis hanging between your legs that is attached to your body(I have to put that part in there because there will be someone who says something stupid like "So if a woman puts on a strap on, she can use the men's bathroom") you should be required to stay out of the woman's bathroom until you get it cut off.

Also, weren't these guys who passed this bill elected by the public? If so, are they not already doing the will of the people since they were elected? If you don't like the law or ordanances, just vote them out and get people in there that will pass laws and ordanances that you do like.

I just don't get this whole thing from the Left. Isn't the Left all about "The needs of the many outweigh the needs of a few" or is it just the hatred for the Right and religious people?
Glad to see the elected officials are doing what the public wants them to do.
(03-25-2016, 07:31 PM)Nebuchadnezzar Wrote: I do think if you have a penis hanging between your legs that is attached to your body(I have to put that part in there because there will be someone who says something stupid like "So if a woman puts on a strap on, she can use the men's bathroom") you should be required to stay out of the woman's bathroom until you get it cut off.

Are they going to have an x-ray machine or will all checks be done manually?

See this is like those sodomy laws the right loves to pass...makes the religious folks feel good but there is no way to enforce them.

(03-25-2016, 07:31 PM)Nebuchadnezzar Wrote: Also, weren't these guys who passed this bill elected by the public? If so, are they not already doing the will of the people since they were elected? If you don't like the law or ordanances, just vote them out and get people in there that will pass laws and ordanances that you do like.

I just don't get this whole thing from the Left. Isn't the Left all about "The needs of the many outweigh the needs of a few" or is it just the hatred for the Right and religious people?

(03-25-2016, 07:53 PM)tigerseye Wrote: Glad to see the elected officials are doing what the public wants them to do.

Kind of like the Senate have a hearing on the SCOTUS nominee since Obama was already elected?

ThumbsUp
(03-25-2016, 08:51 PM)GMDino Wrote: Are they going to have  an x-ray machine or will all checks be done manually?

See this is like those sodomy laws the right loves to pass...makes the religious folks feel good but there is no way to enforce them.

Kind of like the Senate have a hearing on the SCOTUS nominee since Obama was already elected?

ThumbsUp

I guess it's a little different, here in NC.  Around here, folks still put family values at the top of their list, when it comes to legislature.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
I forgot, Obama is the only elected official in our government...silly me.
Now that we have determined that NC hasn't repealed every anti-discrimination law ever written we can discuss the point in question.

To me it is quite simple. The law should be that you utilize the facility that matches your genetic makeup. If you look,act. feel, think like a dude then go in the men's room and handle your business; likewise is you feel, act, look, behave, think like a woman go to the little girl's

IF you are discovered to be in the wrong facility it is because you went in there and did something more than handle your business. As folks have told me it is really nothing more than going potty. IMO the law should not give you carte blanc to go where ever you want.

(03-25-2016, 08:51 PM)GMDino Wrote: Kind of like the Senate have a hearing on the SCOTUS nominee since Obama was already elected?

ThumbsUp

I wasn't picking party sides but I bet that Obama regrets his filibuster of Bush's appointment of Justice Alito for SCOTUS. That one came back and bit him ,don't you agree? 

Just sayin.
(03-25-2016, 10:09 PM)tigerseye Wrote: I wasn't picking party sides but I bet that Obama regrets his filibuster of Bush's appointment of Justice Alito for SCOTUS. That one came back and bit him ,don't you agree? 

Just sayin.

Sure did.

Wait...Alito got a vote though...right?
Like I said I'm not picking party sides on this but on the SCOTUS appointments it seems to be all about timing of deaths, appointments and election cycles. People want to argue differences in parties and how they handle these types of things and there is no difference between the two parties that I can see. Their hot topics and marching points are different but they both play the same game and act the same way as one another. One side is no better than the other.

Greed and power is what matters to both.

Not the country and our Constitution.

Just my 2 cents. Hope it changes.

Congratulation to North Carolina though.
(03-25-2016, 08:56 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I guess it's a little different, here in NC.  Around here, folks still put family values at the top of their list, when it comes to legislature.

What you claim to be "family values" are actually "Christian values".

You basically want a theocracy with laws based on religious beliefs.
(03-25-2016, 06:49 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Look, LGBT make up a collective 3.8% of the population.  Trans, a small percentage of that group.  Why is it so bad that a State defend the wishes of the rest of the 96.2%? 

Because based on that logic we could make all sorts of laws discriminating against anyone who is not a white Christian.
(03-26-2016, 01:10 PM)fredtoast Wrote: What you claim to be "family values" are actually "Christian values".

You basically want a theocracy with laws based on religious beliefs.

I was unaware that using the facility designed for your physical  make up  was a Christian Value. I could probably find a lot of non-Christians that do not want their young daughter showering with a dude, simply because he feels like a woman. 

I don't see why we don't just change the names to "penis" and "vagina" rooms. Whatever you have between your legs, that's the room you use. If you've got both, you can use either room.