Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
North Carolina church to fly Christian flag over Old Glory
(07-08-2015, 10:22 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Most churches barely make enough to get by let alone fund politics.  Any excess money our church has goes to charity and help fund the school which saves taxpayers a lot of money.

Local churches?  Sure.

Dioceses?  Nope.  LOTS of big money rolling in there.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(07-08-2015, 11:58 PM)GMDino Wrote: Local churches?  Sure.

Dioceses?  Nope.  LOTS of big money rolling in there.

I have no idea about the Dioceses money, but local churches of all denominations aren't sitting on piles of untaxed money.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(07-08-2015, 10:22 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Most churches barely make enough to get by let alone fund politics.  Any excess money our church has goes to charity and help fund the school which saves taxpayers a lot of money.

I could give a crap, it makes no difference to the fact that religion has an inordinate impact on politics, both ideologically and monetarily, for a tax exempt organization whose tax exempt status is predicated on staying out of politics.  There are huge religious organizations that dump enormous amounts of money into the political process.  So, either stay the eff out of politics completely, as intended, or pay your taxes like everyone else.  Personally I'd be fine with them just shutting the hell up and tending to their "flock".
(07-09-2015, 12:02 AM)michaelsean Wrote: I have no idea about the Dioceses money, but local churches of all denominations aren't sitting on piles of untaxed money.

Because it is shifted to the net level up.

Churches get ran like businesses now.  I've sat on the board for our local church and was also on the one at my home church when I was younger.  Plus I help with the catholic school board in our town.

Big bucks flowing around that you can't even imagine.

Now there might be independent churches that struggle...but if they are affiliated with the big guns the money is moving from hand to hand.

Edit: That doesn't mean to say they are using it for politics. I don't mean that at all. But the money is there. And on a national level and state level a lot does go toward politics.
(07-09-2015, 12:02 AM)michaelsean Wrote: I have no idea about the Dioceses money, but local churches of all denominations aren't sitting on piles of untaxed money.

There are large mega churches in nearly every moderately sized city that are.
[Image: m6moCD1.png]

Don't ask the question then try to run away from the answer.

Churches spend millions of dollars in political campaigns.  That is an undisputed fact.  If they are going to do that with their money then they need to pay taxes.

And there is no way you can argue that the taxpayers come out ahead due to donations from the church.
(07-09-2015, 06:52 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Don't ask the question then try to run away from the answer.

Churches spend millions of dollars in political campaigns.  That is an undisputed fact.  If they are going to do that with their money then they need to pay taxes.

And there is no way you can argue that the taxpayers come out ahead due to donations from the church.

I don't know what you are talking about running away.

How about we dump thousands of kids into each school district and see if they would want a do over?
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

I belong to All Saints Church in Cincinnati. Let me know how they have violated their 503c status.

(07-09-2015, 09:53 PM)michaelsean Wrote: How about we dump thousands of kids into each school district and see if they would want a do over?

You guys run a FREE school for thousands of children?

All of the private Christian schools that I am familiar with charge tuition.

**EDIE** looks like it costs over $6,000 a year to send a kid to your charitable institution. God bless you for providing such a public service.
(07-09-2015, 10:21 PM)michaelsean Wrote: I belong to All Saints Church in Cincinnati.  Let me know how they have violated their 503c status.

No one said we were talking just about your church.
(07-09-2015, 10:39 PM)fredtoast Wrote: You guys run a FREE school for thousands of children?

All of the private Christian schools that I am familiar with charge tuition.

**EDIE** looks like it costs over $6,000 a year to send a kid to your charitable institution.  God bless you for providing such a public service.

You are not following.  The existense of our schools saves tax payers a lot of money. How much do you think it would cost tax payers if we sent all of our kids to public school? Ine estimate I read is $23 billion.

(07-09-2015, 10:41 PM)fredtoast Wrote: No one said we were talking just about your church.

SSF made a pretty general statement.

(07-09-2015, 10:54 PM)michaelsean Wrote: You are not following.  The existence of our schools saves tax payers a lot of money. How much do you think it would cost tax payers if we sent all of our kids to public school?  Ine estimate I read is $23 billion.

From what I can find the State of Ohio spends about $11K per student per year, but even private schools receive some state and federal funds from taxpayers. So it is hard to say how much is being saved. And if your school accepts vouchers then the taxpayers are on the hook for even more money.
(07-09-2015, 10:58 PM)michaelsean Wrote: SSF made a pretty general statement.

That's exactly what I said,  no one said anything about your specific church.
(07-09-2015, 11:01 PM)fredtoast Wrote: From what I can find the State of Ohio spends about $11K per student per year, but even private schools receive some state and federal funds from taxpayers.  So it is hard to say how much is being saved.  And if your school accepts vouchers then the taxpayers are on the hook for even more money.

Catholic schools receive some text books and sometimes transportation. The $23 billion was nationwide.

(07-09-2015, 11:18 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Catholic schools receive some text books and sometimes transportation.  The $23 billion was nationwide.

Transportation is a big cost.  Plus they get re-imbursed for administrative costs, special needs students, counselors, therapists, and a lot of other stuff.

And taking vouchers is straight up taking tax payer money to pay a religious institution.
(07-09-2015, 11:22 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Transportation is a big cost.  Plus they get re-imbursed for administrative costs, special needs students, counselors, therapists, and a lot of other stuff.

And taking vouchers is straight up taking tax payer money to pay a religious institution.

I've never seen any reimbursement for any of those things. Now take all of those kids and put then in the public school system. It's our choice to send our kids there, but bottom line is we pay the same property tax and use a fraction of the money that would be spent on our children.

(07-10-2015, 12:03 AM)michaelsean Wrote: I've never seen any reimbursement for any of those things.  Now take all of those kids and put then in the public school system. It's our choice to send our kids there, but bottom line is we pay the same property tax and use a fraction of the money that would be spent on our children.

Catholic schools can also refuse students.  I've seen it.  Public schools cannot.

Oh, then politicians complain about how bad the public schools do.   Rolleyes
(07-10-2015, 08:39 AM)GMDino Wrote: Catholic schools can also refuse students.  I've seen it.  Public schools cannot.

Oh, then politicians complain about how bad the public schools do.   Rolleyes

And?  What does that have to do with saving the school district money?  

(07-10-2015, 12:03 AM)michaelsean Wrote: I've never seen any reimbursement for any of those things. 

You should read the parent/student handbook they give you.  Page 50-51

http://www.allsaints.cc/school/handbook2013.pdf