Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
North Dakota senators boost their own meal reimbursements rejecting free school lunch
"We can't afford it"...until it is for themselves.

Idiots.

"What about the children!!"  unless they need to eat and it might cost the state a few dollars a day.

https://bismarcktribune.com/news/local/education/north-dakota-senators-vote-to-boost-their-own-meal-reimbursements-after-rejecting-free-school-lunch/article_6739574c-d542-11ed-8d91-476ec897331b.html

Quote:Ten days after narrowly defeating a bill to provide free school lunches to low-income K-12 students, the North Dakota Senate approved legislation to increase the amount of money lawmakers and other state employees receive in meal reimbursements.

A leading Republican senator says employee meal compensation rates and free school lunch programs aren't related issues, 
but top Democrats see the chamber’s conflicting actions on the two bills as unjustifiable.

“I thought today’s vote was very self-serving,” said Senate Minority Leader Kathy Hogan, D-Fargo. “How can we vote for ourselves when we can’t vote for children?”

The Republican-dominated Senate in late March rejected House Bill 1491 by a single vote. The legislation, which had previously passed the House, would have dedicated $6 million over the next two school years to cover lunch costs for K-12 students with family incomes below double the federal poverty level. Children from families of four making less than $60,000 a year would have qualified.

A federal program already provides free meals to students from families making below 130% of the federal poverty level, so the state allocation nixed by senators would have applied to kids with family incomes between 130-200% of the poverty level.

The Senate voted 26-21 on Thursday to pass Senate Bill 2124, which would raise the meal reimbursements received by state employees during travel within North Dakota. Lawmakers attending interim legislative meetings are eligible for the payments, but they do not receive meal reimbursements during biennial sessions.

If Gov. Doug Burgum signs the bill, state employees could collect up to $45 a day to pay for breakfast, lunch and dinner. 
That’s a hike of nearly 29% on the current reimbursement rate of $35.

Thirteen Republican senators, including Majority Leader David Hogue and Assistant Majority Leader Jerry Klein, voted to increase meal reimbursements after voting against the free school lunch bill.

Hogue declined to comment on the reason he voted for Senate Bill 2124 and against House Bill 1491. He said North Dakota lawmakers often are asked to devote state funds to expand federal programs, like the National School Lunch Program or Medicaid.

“I don’t have a good answer for you as (to) why we do it sometimes and not others,” Hogue said.

Klein said he doesn’t think there’s “any correlation whatsoever” between the two bills, noting that lawmakers have to “treat each issue separately.”

State employees should get a higher per diem because inflation has made eating out much more expensive, he noted.

Klein said there is still money available and time left before lawmakers leave Bismarck to approve funding for school lunches. Last week, the House added the $6 million for free school lunches into a separate bill that has not yet returned to the Senate.

The other Republican senators who voted for Senate Bill 2124 and against House Bill 1491 are Randy Burckhard, David Clemens, Bob Erbele, Judy Estenson, Curt Kreun, Judy Lee, Randy Lemm, Larry Luick, Don Schaible, Terry Wanzek and Mike Wobbema.

Hogan said she was shocked and disappointed by Thursday’s vote. She dismissed Klein’s suggestion that the two bills are unrelated, noting that they would both spend taxpayer money to cover meals for North Dakotans.

The Senate’s inconsistent actions on the two bills will confuse the public and hurt the chamber’s credibility, Hogan said.

“There’s no underlying consistent philosophy to how we’re spending money in this session, and this is a classic example of it,” Hogan said.

Assistant House Minority Leader Zac Ista, a Grand Forks Democrat at the forefront of the push for free school lunches, said the Legislature should be looking to support both students and state employees.

“I think it shows (the Senate’s) priorities are a little out of whack when they have no problem increasing the meal reimbursement rate for ourselves but not for those families that may be struggling to make ends meet,” Ista said.
[Image: giphy.gif]
You mask is slipping.
Reply/Quote
Here is one the anuses that voted against the school lunch program but for raising his own lunch reimbursement.

Remember...its bad parenting if your kids are hungry but not bad self control if you are hungry.
You mask is slipping.
Reply/Quote
But wait!  There's more!

North Dakota, who didn't have the money to pay for lunches for students, who blamed poor parenting on kids not having enough money to eat, found enough in their budget to offer to 30% of tuition for parents through school vouchers so their child could go to private schools.

https://www.kfyrtv.com/2023/02/22/voucher-program-bill-private-school-education-passes-nd-house/

Quote:Published: Feb. 21, 2023 at 10:09 PM EST

BISMARCK, N.D. (KFYR) - There’s good news for people who have children in private schools.
The North Dakota House of Representatives passed House Bill 1532, which would create a voucher program allocating public funds to families who send their children to private schools. The bill would have the state pay up to 30% of the cost of tuition for students to attend private schools, which has lawmakers divided.

“Right now, our public schools are underperforming, yet we spend more and more tax dollars on them. And the results are getting worse, as evidenced by a continual decline in proficiency levels,” said Representative Lori VanWinkle, R-Minot.

“Public schools accept and foster the education of all students. Not just because it’s required by law, but because it’s the right thing to do. As a result, public education’s reputation is tarnished in today’s media,” said Representative Jim Jonas, R-West Fargo.

Those opposed to the bill also say it seems to conflict North Dakota Constitution which says, “No money raised for the support of public schools of the state shall be appropriated to or used for the support of any sectarian school.”

The bill passed by a vote of 54-40. Next, it heads to the Senate.

Previous Coverage: ND Legislature considers voucher program bills for private and home school education
You mask is slipping.
Reply/Quote
If we feed children it'll take away their incentive to become shitbag politicians who have earned the right to be fed for free.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
They said they never saw a kid being hungry but they never said they never saw a senator being starving.

Well deserved aid right there.

And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

Reply/Quote
Look - I don't have anything against citizens who are conservatives. Hell, I've got conservative beliefs.

But at a certain point, you have to see the shit the conservative parties are doing and ask yourself if they truly represent you and your beliefs or if you're just so dug in you turn a blind eye to their bullshit.
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2023, 01:36 PM)BigPapaKain Wrote: Look - I don't have anything against citizens who are conservatives. Hell, I've got conservative beliefs.

But at a certain point, you have to see the shit the conservative parties are doing and ask yourself if they truly represent you and your beliefs or if you're just so dug in you turn a blind eye to their bullshit.

To be honest, this isn't about conservative versus liberal. I've talked before about the ideological slants of the parties in this country. But in reality this is less about their ideology and more about their values. Right now the modern GOP seems to value nothing other than power. They have shown they don't value democracy. They only really value holding onto their power and doing what benefits them, not what the people want.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
Yea. Keep blaming indoctrination for the young people not voting for GOP.

I’m guessing as their voter base continues to die off they will get even more desperate, corrupt, and undemocratic.
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2023, 09:10 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: To be honest, this isn't about conservative versus liberal. I've talked before about the ideological slants of the parties in this country. But in reality this is less about their ideology and more about their values. Right now the modern GOP seems to value nothing other than power. They have shown they don't value democracy. They only really value holding onto their power and doing what benefits them, not what the people want.

Go figure the political party that can come in second place by millions of votes and still win seems less inclined to do the will of the people...or you could postulate that people who seek power gravitate towards the party that has an easier path to said power.

EDIT - And yes, I realize this goes beyond the popular vote vs. the electoral college thing, but that's just a single highlight of the ways the GOP has an undue amount of power despite intentionally appealing to fewer and fewer people. 
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2023, 09:10 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: To be honest, this isn't about conservative versus liberal. I've talked before about the ideological slants of the parties in this country. But in reality this is less about their ideology and more about their values. Right now the modern GOP seems to value nothing other than power. They have shown they don't value democracy. They only really value holding onto their power and doing what benefits them, not what the people want.

Rolleyes

Why is it always just ONE-SIDED? Both do it when they can.

Back to topic at hand, not sure why they gave working people a better per diem, unless food prices there are astronomical, i'd have thought $35 per day was plenty. Then again, when was the last time you actually heard of a state being fiscally balanced? 

Senate Bill 2124 (Engrossment v-23.0470.04000) would change the daily in-state meal allowance from $35 per day to $45 per day (Breakfast-$9, Lunch-$14 and Supper-$22).

Onto schools, from a personal standpoint, i think both breakfast and lunches should be free. I'd much rather make sure kids are being fed at least 2x per day. But that's me, and i'm all for free education as well so i'm very extremist i supposed on that topic.
Reply/Quote
(04-09-2023, 05:46 AM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Rolleyes

There is only one side that actively works to subvert democracy.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(04-09-2023, 05:46 AM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Rolleyes

Cool. Share the link of the liberal state legislature voting to increase their lunch allowance at the cost of kid's.

Go on - I'll wait.
Reply/Quote
(04-09-2023, 08:17 AM)BigPapaKain Wrote: Cool. Share the link of the liberal state legislature voting to increase their lunch allowance at the cost of kid's.

Go on - I'll wait.

And if both sides are "doing it", you'd think we'd all get on board with the consensus, and just simply call out the BS. Nope. People say "Cmon, theyre doing it too", but only use it to excuse their "side" instead of calling them out. It's a weird phenomenon. And yes.....both sides do it.  Tongue

I hope this makes sense. Lol
I used to be jmccracky. Or Cracky for short.
Reply/Quote
(04-09-2023, 12:26 PM)jmccracky Wrote: And if both sides are "doing it", you'd think we'd all get on board with the consensus, and just simply call out the BS. Nope. People say "Cmon, theyre doing it too", but only use it to excuse their "side" instead of calling them out. It's a weird phenomenon. And yes.....both sides do it.  Tongue

I hope this makes sense. Lol

Yes I've seen the left ignore things the politicians on he left do that's wrong.

The difference is one side consistently ignores EVERYTHING while one side occasionally calls their representatives out on that kind of BS.

We should be calling all of them out on their bullshit.
Reply/Quote

I think we're saying the same thing, I'm just not articulate all the time. I occasionally will accidentally say something that's easy to follow and gets my point across.
Reply/Quote

Disagree. Check their rationales again.

Ain't no leftists blaming the victim like that. 

Poor choose to be poor; poor kids choose not to eat.
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2023, 11:39 AM)GMDino Wrote: Here is one the anuses that voted against the school lunch program but for raising his own lunch reimbursement.

Remember...its bad parenting if your kids are hungry but not bad self control if you are hungry.

You misunderstand, Dino.

When you are flying in a passenger jet and suddenly the air pressure drops and the oxygen masks drop.

The adults put theirs on FIRST and then their kids. It's a matter of safety.

Well this is like that. 

If adults are not well fed, how can they take care of their children?
How can our leaders take care of us if they are too weak from hunger to do their work? 

Put your political bias aside and think of the common good.
Reply/Quote
Typical politics. Add pork to a bill and make it look like the other side is bad. I suspect there was more to this bill than lunches for school kids even though it is not being reported. Why else would they vote no. I've seen this technique often.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
An other point is I've seen people with the means to pay for things take advantage of a government handout. I wonder how many parents could pay for lunch but opt not to.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
(04-11-2023, 02:22 AM)guyofthetiger Wrote: Typical politics. Add pork to a bill and make it look like the other side is bad. I suspect there was more to this bill than lunches for school kids even though it is not being reported. Why else would they vote no. I've seen this technique often.

It was a stand alone 11 line bill. Very straight forward

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote