Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
North Korea threatens to withdraw from summit with Trump
(05-18-2018, 09:27 AM)GMDino Wrote: There have not been more than a handful of Senate and House elections since "Trump's agenda" was elected...as you say.

This is the midterm election.

We've also had some of the gerrymandered states realign.  We'll see how it all plays out.

But I admire you sticking to one, basic point no matter how many times convincing evidence or outside opinions are presented. Hilarious

And the polls tighten it was once a 15 pt dem lead down to 4.
(05-18-2018, 10:05 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: And the polls tighten it was once a 15 pt dem lead down to 4.

Gee...a quote without a source.  Color me stunned.

But also I thought conservatives (and Trumpers) didn't believe "lying" polls?
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Disclaimer: Here's something funny.  A lighthearted story to not take seriously as it is not an important issue but rather just a little jokey article about how the Trump admin does silly things sometimes.  Don't let it distract you from the serious stuff, but rather just enjoy it for what it is worth and maybe have a giggle over it.

ThumbsUp

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2018/05/u-s-mints-coin-for-trump-kim-summit-that-might-not-happen.html

Quote:U.S. Mints Garish Coin for Trump-Kim Summit That Might Not Happen

There’s significant doubt about whether the high-stakes talks between President Trump and Kim Jong-un, planned for June 12 in Singapore, will actually come off. Kim abruptly threatened to back out of the meeting last week, while Trump — whose strategy for the entire affair consists of winging it — is reportedly (and rightly) worrying that he’s about to get played by the North Korean dictator.

But whatever ends up happening, we’ll always have … this.

View image on Twitter
[Image: DdvUEL2UQAAFvrY?format=jpg&name=small]

Quote:[Image: T8oLbp_f_normal.jpg]
[/url]Jim Acosta

@Acosta

[url=https://twitter.com/Acosta/status/998625923992903680]

There's now a White House Military Office coin for the upcoming Trump Kim Jong Un summit. The North Korean dictator is referred to as "Supreme Leader Kim Jong Un."
2:05 PM - May 21, 2018

Yes, the U.S. government has gone ahead and minted a gaudy, QVC-ready coin to celebrate a meeting that may not actually take place, and is extremely unlikely to lead to the denuclearization Trump has demanded even if it does.

The coin, of which 250 have been minted, depicts a notably youthful Trump hunched over in optimum dealmaker posture, glaring at a double-chinned Kim, who is referred to as “Supreme Leader,” in a nice bit of deference.

It’s the perfect gift for the #MAGA-minded coin collector who enjoys heavyweight-fight iconography mixed with a little diplomatic wish fulfillment. Now all this summit needs is a Don King–branded nickname. Perhaps “The War in Singapore?”

Hmm, maybe not that one.
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
https://www.cnn.com/2018/05/22/politics/trump-moon-north-korea-white-house/index.html

trump even isnt sure if it will happen
People suck
Trump, I'm guessing to stay the one "in control" of the situation, has canceled the summit.

Quote:President Trump on Thursday canceled a planned summit next month with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un, citing “tremendous anger and open hostility” from the rogue nation in a letter explaining his abrupt decision.

“I feel it is inappropriate, at this time, to have this long-planned meeting,” Trump said to Kim in a letter released by the White House on Thursday morning.

The summit had been planned for June 12 in Singapore.

In his letter, Trump held open the possibility that the two leaders could meet at a later date to discuss denuclearization of the Korean peninsula, which Trump has been pushing.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Trumps just trying to save face. Kim long canceled this meeting.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
But he's willing to run into a building unarmed to save kids....
People suck
In all seriousness, I've been of the opinion from the start that this summit would either not happen or would be fruitless. Neither Kim nor Trump would approach these negotiations in a way that would be productive. Trump is too much of a zero-sum thinker and Kim is, well, Kim. I truly believe that the reason this summit was canceled by Trump is to maintain the image that he is in control of the situation. It looks better politically for him to walk away then it does for Kim to turn his back on us, and Trump and/or his advisers saw the writing on the wall. Pulling the trigger first reduced the political capital lost with this.

The thing I am going to be waiting on is the DPRK response. There are a lot of different directions I could see them going with this.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Great letter though. Peace might be gone for now, but Nobel prize for literature still very much in play.
Just incase anybody doesn’t realize what’s at stake in going to war with North Korea. If the U.S. steps one foot in North Korea, it becomes a war with China. That’s the reason it’s been a standoff for 60 years. It wouldn’t be N. Korea vs. The U.S. and S. Korea, it would be China and N. Korea vs. The U.S. and S. Korea.

This isn’t the same as Libya, as much as Bolton and Pence would lead you to believe.

Hopefully, the peninsula will continue to move towards peace and reconciliation without our interference, unless requested.
(05-24-2018, 12:26 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: Hopefully, the peninsula will continue to move towards peace and reconciliation without our interference, unless requested.

The problem is that as a part of the conflict, any treaty will require our involvement. An official end to the conflict requires the US as a signatory.

Hmm.

Maybe we should just give South Korea and Japan nukes and bring our troops home. Let them hash it out. Ninja
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
(05-24-2018, 11:51 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: In all seriousness, I've been of the opinion from the start that this summit would either not happen or would be fruitless. Neither Kim nor Trump would approach these negotiations in a way that would be productive. Trump is too much of a zero-sum thinker and Kim is, well, Kim. I truly believe that the reason this summit was canceled by Trump is to maintain the image that he is in control of the situation. It looks better politically for him to walk away then it does for Kim to turn his back on us, and Trump and/or his advisers saw the writing on the wall. Pulling the trigger first reduced the political capital lost with this.

The thing I am going to be waiting on is the DPRK response. There are a lot of different directions I could see them going with this.

Still, Trump seems the loser since he did not follow the usual process, but announced right away that he would meet with Kim.

Now he cancels on what is clearly a pretext.

Trump has a penchant for painting himself into a corner with untimely and ill-considered ultimatums. If Kim decides to test another missile to show NK "Independence," Trump will have rattle his saber VERY LOUDLY in response.  Kim has to rattle back, which will be a "provocation" requiring a "response." Trump has made acting rather than talking his brand. The "not OBama." Hard to walk that back. Impossible to walk it back without losing cred. It is possible that Trump's NSC advisor will push military solutions, and Trump will listen to him over Mattis and Kelly. 

As Yojimbo pointed out, China is an important player here.  I don't see them sitting back while the US stirs up the NK. If I'm China, I can't allow NK to be nuked.  And I may side with it in case of a land invasion as well--like in Oct. 1950.  Russia should also be an important factor, since they too share a border with NK.
Damn it, did we already mint the coins?
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

Now his base will truly have a collectible item

So much his novel prize though
People suck
(05-24-2018, 12:36 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: The problem is that as a part of the conflict, any treaty will require our involvement. An official end to the conflict requires the US as a signatory.

I understand that, but it doesn’t mean those two sovereign countries need our permission to have better and open relations. They could both stand down/ reduce their militaries on the dmz without permission.
(05-24-2018, 11:51 AM)hollodero Wrote: Great letter though. Peace might be gone for now, but Nobel prize for literature still very much in play.

As long as he doesn't deserve it. ThumbsUp
(05-24-2018, 02:53 PM)Griever Wrote: Now his base will truly have a collectible item

So much his novel prize though

Indeed. They are already a prized collector's item.

See. Trump making mo' money fo his peoples! ThumbsUp
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
Either this was planned by the WH, or Pence is an idiot. Its hard to tell which. Trying to get to the table with North Korea is beyond delicate at this point. But yet on Monday Pence had to open his mouth about it.

"There was some talk about the Libya model," Pence told Fox News' Martha MacCallum. "As the President made clear, this will only end like the Libya model ended if Kim Jong Un doesn't make a deal." When MacCallum said that some people may have seen Bolton's comments as a threat, Pence said "I think it's more of a fact." https://www.cnn.com/2018/05/23/politics/mike-pence-north-korea-intl/index.html

So in response to that the NK woman made her remarks, which ruffled Trumps feathers enough to cancel the meeting.

Seriously, wtf. If they are serious about getting to the table, just the shut the eff up about anything until the meeting happens. So again, either Pence was told to say that knowing that NK would respond to it. Or Pence is just an amateur idiot at this.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

(05-24-2018, 04:13 PM)Bengalzona Wrote: Indeed. They are already a prized collector's item.

See. Trump making mo' money fo his peoples! ThumbsUp

I want me one of those coins LOL  I'm pretty sure they will increase in value.

[Image: DdvUEL2UQAAFvrY?format=jpg&name=small]