Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
North Korean Missile Test
I didn't see anything posted on this. So I was wondering if everyone was cool with North Korea now having a missile which they believe may have the range to reach the East Coast of the U.S.?

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2017/11/30/north-korea-latest-missile-unveiled-kim-jong-un/909177001/

Y'all cool wit dat?
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
(11-30-2017, 06:10 PM)Bengalzona Wrote: I didn't see anything posted on this. So I was wondering if everyone was cool with North Korea now having a missile which they believe may have the range to reach the East Coast of the U.S.?

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2017/11/30/north-korea-latest-missile-unveiled-kim-jong-un/909177001/

Y'all cool wit dat?

No....not at all.

Luckily we're going declaring war...or may have already done so.  Right?
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Eh, people in other countries have to know Cincinnati exists before they're able to target it with a nuke. Later New York, Texas, California, and DC.... Ninja
- - - - - - - - - - - -

More seriously, I am not really sure what the end game on this is going to be other than conflict. North Korea's not going to suddenly overthrow their dictator, elect a benevolent President, and disassemble their nuclear program. Their dictator is also not going to get any less crazy. I can't imagine having the CIA assassinate NK's leadership would help, either.

So it comes down to will the US strike first, will NK strike first, or will another country throw a curveball into the mix somehow?

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Not to make light of the situation, but it is my understanding that they are a couple of years, at least, away from miniaturizing a nuclear device for use on such a missile. So even though I am safe in my knowledge that the largest nuclear weapon designed would still not reach me were it to detonate over Washington or Norfolk, the two closest high-priority targets to me, I'm still not concerned of the threat of a nuclear missile from DPRK hitting us. That being said, I know this is a big issue for all of those people on the Korean peninsula and the surrounding areas and I hope for a swift resolution because this can still result in countless deaths.
(11-30-2017, 07:15 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Not to make light of the situation, but it is my understanding that they are a couple of years, at least, away from miniaturizing a nuclear device for use on such a missile. So even though I am safe in my knowledge that the largest nuclear weapon designed would still not reach me were it to detonate over Washington or Norfolk, the two closest high-priority targets to me, I'm still not concerned of the threat of a nuclear missile from DPRK hitting us. That being said, I know this is a big issue for all of those people on the Korean peninsula and the surrounding areas and I hope for a swift resolution because this can still result in countless deaths.

Not to mention producing enough of them and being able to get them past our pretty good missile defense systems. 

It's more of the same, IMO. North Korea cannot be stupid/crazy enough to actually strike the US, or any other power really. Even they would have to know that it is assured destruction of their regime. Much like how the US cannot seriously consider striking at North Korea preemptively because of the assured destruction to the region. 

So it's really just going to continue being a bunch of posturing, until the US realizes that we're simply going to have to deal with the PDRK as a nuclear power. The price of their disarmament would come at too high a price. 
A nuclear weapon does not have to reach the ground to have its most devestating effect.

A Nuclear missile detonated in the air above the US would have a EMP wave that would kill all electrical devices. It would also ruin transformers and not just ones on the pole outside your home. The transformers I mean are the huge (house size) ones beneath the electrical towers. They are on over 2 year back order and mostly made in China.

With no electric or even near half the country without electric would be devestating we would tear this country apart without an attack from the outside.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
I spent the early part of my life growing up in a country that was at odds with another nuclear armed superpower who we had no diplomatic relations with... I guess we're right back in it. Everybody involved now seems pretty levelheaded, so I'm sure this will work out fine.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
(11-30-2017, 07:42 PM)Synric Wrote: A nuclear weapon does not have to reach the ground to have its most devestating effect.

A Nuclear missile detonated in the air above the US would have a EMP wave that would kill all electrical devices. It would also ruin transformers and not just ones on the pole outside your home. The transformers I mean are the huge (house size) ones beneath the electrical towers. They are on over 2 year back order and mostly made in China.

With no electric or even near half the country without electric would be devestating we would tear this country apart without an attack from the outside.

Too late, Michael Bay and Shia LaBeouf already did that.   Ninja

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -

But yeah, air detonated missiles would arguably be a worse thing in the case of NK. I think I read awhile back (admittedly just a foggy memory) that it was something like only 3 nukes were needed in order to blanket the US in EMPs if done right?

That's a realistically small enough number that NK could reach it. The deaths from water/food/cold/heat/disease would vastly outnumber the same number of nukes being used conventionally. The vast majority of people's lives are so overwhelmingly dependent upon electricity.

That said, I don't think a launch is really the major concern from NK right now. What with their limited supply and our air defense system, they'd be better off taking the cargo ship from another nation and just setting it off in a US port. Or shipping it to Canada/Mexico and driving it in. Better chance of success than the launch of just one or two missiles.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
(11-30-2017, 06:16 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Eh, people in other countries have to know Cincinnati exists before they're able to target it with a nuke. Later New York, Texas, California, and DC.... Ninja
- - - - - - - - - - - -

That's what's got me worried. The Steelers have an international following.  Pittsburgh will be targeted long before Cincinnati.  Even before Dallas, I bet.
We need to send Dennis Rodman over to the DMZ for a summit with Kim Rocket Man... Work this shit out.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
(11-30-2017, 07:15 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Not to make light of the situation, but it is my understanding that they are a couple of years, at least, away from miniaturizing a nuclear device for use on such a missile. So even though I am safe in my knowledge that the largest nuclear weapon designed would still not reach me were it to detonate over Washington or Norfolk, the two closest high-priority targets to me, I'm still not concerned of the threat of a nuclear missile from DPRK hitting us. That being said, I know this is a big issue for all of those people on the Korean peninsula and the surrounding areas and I hope for a swift resolution because this can still result in countless deaths.

I thought they were a couple of years away from an ICBM. Now look.

What if Lil Kim read's Leonard's post above and gets the idea of putting a couple of nukes on ships and parking them in US harbors in NY and LA and Houston?
Just because he can, does not mean that Kim Jong Un would actually do it..

Let's not forget that the US has pretty good weapons, as well.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23

(11-30-2017, 08:30 PM)Dill Wrote: I thought they were a couple of years away from an ICBM. Now look.

That's one of the concerns. North Korea is developing new tech far faster than we anticipated. Consider, they only just developed the A-bomb in 2006. Eleven years later, they may have the H-bomb and they have a delivery vehicle similar to our Titan I. We were told miniaturization would take 20 years. I don't think that estimate is realistic. I would not be surprised to hear about a North Korea nuke ICBM test in the Pacific somewhere within about 5 years at the rate their other tech has been going.
(11-30-2017, 10:26 PM)Bengalzona Wrote: That's one of the concerns. North Korea is developing new tech far faster than we anticipated. Consider, they only just developed the A-bomb in 2006. Eleven years later, they may have the H-bomb and they have a delivery vehicle similar to our Titan I. We were told miniaturization would take 20 years. I don't think that estimate is realistic. I would not be surprised to hear about a North Korea nuke ICBM test in the Pacific somewhere within about 5 years at the rate their other tech has been going.

Well, notice that I did only say a couple of years. That was intentional. Yeah, it's a lot faster than was originally thought, but it is still time to fix this. My question: who is helping them in their tech advances?
(11-30-2017, 10:56 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Well, notice that I did only say a couple of years. That was intentional. Yeah, it's a lot faster than was originally thought, but it is still time to fix this. My question: who is helping them in their tech advances?

I would think smart money would be on Russia, China, or a combination of both.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
The DPRK situation is one that has caused me conflict. The hero in me wants us to go in their and overthrow the regime. Not only because of the risk they pose to the rest of the world, but the human rights issues within the country. The pacifist says mind your own business.

IMO the only answer is to pressure China and RoK to clean up their own backyards.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(11-30-2017, 07:40 PM)CKwi88 Wrote: Not to mention producing enough of them and being able to get them past our pretty good missile defense systems. 

It's more of the same, IMO. North Korea cannot be stupid/crazy enough to actually strike the US, or any other power really. Even they would have to know that it is assured destruction of their regime. Much like how the US cannot seriously consider striking at North Korea preemptively because of the assured destruction to the region. 

So it's really just going to continue being a bunch of posturing, until the US realizes that we're simply going to have to deal with the PDRK as a nuclear power. The price of their disarmament would come at too high a price. 

North Korea wouldn't need to produce a bunch of nukes to successfully attack us. They could make 2 nukes and 10 dummy missiles and fire them at us. The chances that we'd actually take out the 2 nukes would shrink considerably if something like that happened.
(11-30-2017, 10:56 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Well, notice that I did only say a couple of years. That was intentional. Yeah, it's a lot faster than was originally thought, but it is still time to fix this. My question: who is helping them in their tech advances?

(11-30-2017, 11:03 PM)jason Wrote: I would think smart money would be on Russia, China, or a combination of both.

Both are neighbors amd both have relations with NK. I wouldn't put it past Putin. I loves to stick thorns in our side every chance he gets. I say the smart money would be on Russia. As close as China is to NK, I'm pretty sure they aren't real pleased with them having these types of weapons.
Regardless of where anyone lives in the U.S., everyone will be affected. Think about transportation, communication, military, agriculture, etc. By this I mean much more than just your car, cell phone, canned goods and gun cabinet. A nuclear weapon detonated on U.S. soil would make all disasters in the U.S. previous very minimal in comparison. Although I dont fear such an attack for personal reasons, I do fear KJU is insane and will do whatever he want's because in his mind, he is mighty. Then you must worry about their allies. Forget the BS you hear on the news about China letting us tear them up if they strike us first. I mean, do you really trust that at all?

Once we negotiate our own fears and minimize, then we must alert them once again with the fear of our ecosystem and the devastation fallout from the sky will involve on our environment. Their will be blowback that will take many years to overcome. More than I have left of course, along with most, if not all of you.
[Image: 442477217_947289567407463_69894548258261...e=6657196A]

(11-30-2017, 06:10 PM)Bengalzona Wrote: I didn't see anything posted on this. So I was wondering if everyone was cool with North Korea now having a missile which they believe may have the range to reach the East Coast of the U.S.?

Y'all cool wit dat?

You guys can always come to Austria. No one hates us because no one knows us, so it's pretty safe. We watch US TV all the time, have our own politicians with sexual allegations, and recently even anti-abortion activists have reemerged, so you could feel quite at home. You'd have to watch soccer though, lots of really bad soccer.

As for Korea, I feel it is a mistake to treat the Iran deal the way it's treated. That somehow looks to me like slamming the door for every possibility to negotiate with North Korea. The outlook of reaching an agreement with the US that possibly isn't respected afterwards anyhow is not quite intriguing.