Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Not Drafting a Center
I think it will be a mistake to not draft a Center this year but that is exactly what I see happening. I know Bodine is in the last year of his contract but he is the type of guy we will re-sign because he hasn't lit the world on fire so he won't be that expensive and they will point to his experience (though he played terrible) and the fact he should be going into his prime... Hilarious .....I would be all for grabbing a Pat Elflein or Ethan Pocic in Round 3 and see it mocked all the time around here. It's just one of those things that I don't see happening. Said the same thing last year. They are obsessed with Bodine for some strange reason and they re-signed TJ Johnson to a two year deal so they have him as a backup plan. They also mentioned last year the thought that Christian Westerman could play Center but haven't heard much about that lately.
[Image: fadQsr.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2017, 09:03 AM)JungleRock85 Wrote: I think it will be a mistake to not draft a Center this year but that is exactly what I see happening. I know Bodine is in the last year of his contract but he is the type of guy we will re-sign because he hasn't lit the world on fire so he won't be that expensive and they will point to his experience (though he played terrible) and the fact he should be going into his prime...  Hilarious .....I would be all for grabbing a Pat Elflein or Ethan Pocic in Round 3 and see it mocked all the time around here. It's just one of those things that I don't see happening. Said the same thing last year. They are obsessed with Bodine for some strange reason and they re-signed TJ Johnson to a two year deal so they have him as a backup plan. They also mentioned last year the thought that Christian Westerman could play Center but haven't heard much about that lately.

What is interesting, for the first time I actually saw Hobson mention it. Now he followed it right up by saying we don't draft centers before the 4th round but he mentioned Efflein in the 2nd. Thought that was interesting.
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2017, 09:16 AM)Au165 Wrote: What is interesting, for the first time I actually saw Hobson mention it. Now he followed it right up by saying we don't draft centers before the 4th round but he mentioned Efflein in the 2nd. Thought that was interesting.

If Lapham starts talking about it I will get more interested in the idea. Hobspin doesn't know much about the draft and usually doesn't have a great track record it don't seem during his mock drafts for the Bengals. The guy admitted the other day that it is hard enough for him to come up with a mock selection for pick #9 because the draft is unpredictable....what else is there to research for the Bengals this time of year but yet the guy seems to have very minimal knowledge of the draft in general and no inside information when it comes to the Bengals (maybe because he does these media mock drafts and the Bengals don't want him tipping off anything?)
[Image: fadQsr.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2017, 09:21 AM)JungleRock85 Wrote: If Lapham starts talking about it I will get more interested in the idea. Hobspin doesn't know much about the draft and usually doesn't have a great track record it don't seem during his mock drafts for the Bengals. The guy admitted the other day that it is hard enough for him to come up with a mock selection for pick #9 because the draft is unpredictable....what else is there to research for the Bengals this time of year but yet the guy seems to have very minimal knowledge of the draft in general and no inside information when it comes to the Bengals (maybe because he does these media mock drafts and the Bengals don't want him tipping off anything?)

He doesn't know much about the specific guys they are eyeing I'd say, but he does tend to hear about interests from the coaches. We can't claim Hobson is prepping people before FA based on orders from managment and then pretend like he knows nothing about the draft. I think historically he hasn't seen draft boards but he knows the coaches sentiments on positions. For years he has said no way we move on from Bodine, this year he doesn't seem so confident.
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2017, 09:16 AM)Au165 Wrote: What is interesting, for the first time I actually saw Hobson mention it. Now he followed it right up by saying we don't draft centers before the 4th round but he mentioned Efflein in the 2nd. Thought that was interesting.

That is interesting. The only reason I can think of why would be because the Bengals view Elflein as a dominant RG too and would more likely plug him in at RG rather than C.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2017, 10:05 AM)ochocincos Wrote: That is interesting. The only reason I can think of why would be because the Bengals view Elflein as a dominant RG too and would more likely plug him in at RG rather than C.

They love them OSU guys too when it works because of the tie with Cooper.
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2017, 10:08 AM)Au165 Wrote: They love them OSU guys too when it works because of the tie with Cooper.

Do they though? They haven't really even drafted many OSU guys in recent memory. The only ones in the Marvin Lewis era are Boom Herron and Reid Fragel. Herron a 6th rounder and Fragel a 7th rounder. Neither even lasted through their rookie contracts with the Bengals.

Sure, the Bengals have brought in Mike Nugent and AJ Hawk, but those were veterans, and that's still just two.

Overall, it seems the Bengals favor SEC players more.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
I would be shocked if they draft a C before the 6th or 7th and I'd be more shocked if they did draft one and he even got a chance to play. Jefro is Piano Boy's guy and that is the alpha and omega of it.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(04-06-2017, 10:20 AM)McC Wrote: I would be shocked if they draft a C before the 6th or 7th and I'd be more shocked if they did draft one and he even got a chance to play.  Jefro is Piano Boy's guy and that is the alpha and omega of it.

I'm with you. I think if a C is drafted at all, he will be Round 5 at the earliest and likely have to sit on the PS this year.
Then if Bodine continues to underperform, TJ Johnson becomes the starter in 2018 and the C on the PS is promoted in 2018.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(04-06-2017, 10:15 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Do they though? They haven't really even drafted many OSU guys in recent memory. The only ones in the Marvin Lewis era are Boom Herron and Reid Fragel. Herron a 6th rounder and Fragel a 7th rounder. Neither even lasted through their rookie contracts with the Bengals.

Sure, the Bengals have brought in Mike Nugent and AJ Hawk, but those were veterans, and that's still just two.

Overall, it seems the Bengals favor SEC players more.

They do like SEC guys especially LSU, but there have been guys we have targeted from OSU that didn't get to us. I remember an article a couple years ago that we liked Devin Smith and apparently last year we really wanted Thomas, but he didn't make it to us.

I am not sure Efflein is in the plan, but very weird to see Hobson even mention a Center.
Reply/Quote
If they were moving on from Bodine, they would have done so after year 2, not last year when he actually showed improvement. If they were drafting a C in the early/mid rounds, they would've stuck with the 1 year tender on TJ instead of giving him 2 years.
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2017, 09:03 AM)JungleRock85 Wrote: I think it will be a mistake to not draft a Center this year but that is exactly what I see happening. I know Bodine is in the last year of his contract but he is the type of guy we will re-sign because he hasn't lit the world on fire so he won't be that expensive and they will point to his experience (though he played terrible) and the fact he should be going into his prime...  Hilarious .....I would be all for grabbing a Pat Elflein or Ethan Pocic in Round 3 and see it mocked all the time around here. It's just one of those things that I don't see happening. Said the same thing last year. They are obsessed with Bodine for some strange reason and they re-signed TJ Johnson to a two year deal so they have him as a backup plan. They also mentioned last year the thought that Christian Westerman could play Center but haven't heard much about that lately.

You gave the exact reason why we won't draft a center this year.

What is worse is that Mikey Brown will use a re-signing of Bodine as an excuse to not re-sign some of our better players who are heading into free agency next year.

I also don't understand the team's obsession with Bodine. The best reason I can come up with is that Paul Alexander and Bodine meet at various road side motels for non-football pleasures.

Reply/Quote
Pocic in 2 or 3 not a bad pick because he can play all over the O Line, not just center.  I have not gave up on Bodine who is young and developing. Many of you want these guys to come in a star in their rookie or second year, but you just don't understand the draft.  The O Line coach says Bodine is progressing at a good pace to be a solid veteran.  I think we need a O Lineman by round 3 considering losing Whit and Zeitler.  Pocic was a top college recruit and now a top NFL draft pick guy.  Injuries happen so why not have 2 centers and they be ready to play guard also.  That is depth we could use. I'll be surprised if we don't get an O Linemen early because bringing back Smith is not the answer to Zeitler in years to come.  Not round 1, but after that, if a darn good O Lineman is on the boards, we could use him in years to come.  You have to look at the draft as not just 2017 but years down the road.  Losing Zeitler creates a need in this draft more than you people not liking Bodine.  It could be a guard, not a center. I do see us getting an O lineman around round 3 or 2 or 4, but I'll ball park it at 3. 
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
With 11 picks and our starter entering a contract year i think we will.
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2017, 07:00 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: With 11 picks and our starter entering a contract year i think we will.

But would the Bengals buck the trend and take a C before Day 3?
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(04-06-2017, 10:20 AM)McC Wrote: I would be shocked if they draft a C before the 6th or 7th and I'd be more shocked if they did draft one and he even got a chance to play.  Jefro is Piano Boy's guy and that is the alpha and omega of it.

Pocic or Elflien will fall to the 4th and we can grab one there to pair with Fournette,Obi and Zay Jones
Reply/Quote
Sure hope we do but was hoping last year as well.

If we do hope it is one of the top ones and not a late round flyer.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(04-07-2017, 12:52 AM)B3ng4Ls420 Wrote: Pocic or Elflien will fall to the 4th and we can grab one there to pair with Fournette,Obi and Zay Jones

They wont fall to the 4th theyll go in the second, but a guy like john toth or tyler orlosky would be a great improvement over bodine as well in the 4th.
Reply/Quote
When your interior O-line makes UDFA scrubs look like Geno Atkins, does it really matter how good your tackles are?  Center in rd 2 or 3 would pay dividends for years to come.  
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2017, 10:25 AM)ochocincos Wrote: I'm with you. I think if a C is drafted at all, he will be Round 5 at the earliest and likely have to sit on the PS this year.
Then if Bodine continues to underperform, TJ Johnson becomes the starter in 2018 and the C on the PS is promoted in 2018.

This.

The only way I see them getting Elflein is if they slide in Rd 1 and get an additional 2nd rounder or if they make a trade for AJM.

Even then, I would be surprised as a much bigger need is depth/competition at the OT spot. There are a number of guys that could be brought in to push Ced at LT and move them to RG should Ced's light suddenly go on (have my doubts).

They would also likely select Elflein if for some reason he sipped to them in the third, but I see that as highly unlikely.
Reply/Quote