Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Not Giving Up...
A lot of folks won't even click this thread because of the name. I will be called a blind homer, or worse. The bottom line is this offense is pathetic, but this defense is for real.

If somehow, the offense can find its way (more of Ross, Core, Malone, Erickson...less of Hill, Lafell, and Kroft) and get rolling again, they could get right back in the thick of things.

Do I think it will happen? Probably not. I am resigned to the fact that Zampese has taken all-pros and made them look like turds. His offenses are gawd awful. But, there is evidence that a lot of teams, even really good teams, have "lulls" in the season where things just aren't firing. Some on defense, some on offense, etc. Rarely is one team all-world an entire season on both sides of the ball.

However, if the defense continues to shine against GB and with the extra time to work on the schematic to attack the weakness of the packers (secondary), they could end up 1-2, with Burfict coming back the following week. A lot of us had them losing to the Packers but beating the Texans. So, beat the Packers and flip it.

No need to comment on what an optimistic loser I am, but I think the anger over the past couple weeks of horrible offense needs to realize that they still have talent and their QB is a proven winner. They aren't done. Not yet.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
what is our record since the playoff loss to the Steelers?

It was obvious to anyone with a rational thinking brain that the Bengals needed a complete house cleaning after that game.

All games since that game are completely wasted until and unless their is a complete change in coaching staff including Marv, Alexander and Zampese.
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2017, 10:06 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: A lot of folks won't even click this thread because of the name. I will be called a blind homer, or worse. The bottom line is this offense is pathetic, but this defense is for real.

If somehow, the offense can find its way (more of Ross, Core, Malone, Erickson...less of Hill, Lafell, and Kroft) and get rolling again, they could get right back in the thick of things.

Do I think it will happen? Probably not. I am resigned to the fact that Zampese has taken all-pros and made them look like turds. His offenses are gawd awful. But, there is evidence that a lot of teams, even really good teams, have "lulls" in the season where things just aren't firing. Some on defense, some on offense, etc. Rarely is one team all-world an entire season on both sides of the ball.

However, if the defense continues to shine against GB and with the extra time to work on the schematic to attack the weakness of the packers (secondary), they could end up 1-2, with Burfict coming back the following week. A lot of us had them losing to the Packers but beating the Texans. So, beat the Packers and flip it.

No need to comment on what an optimistic loser I am, but I think the anger over the past couple weeks of horrible offense needs to realize that they still have talent and their QB is a proven winner. They aren't done. Not yet.

Never giving up until we're mathematically out.

But less of Hill? I think they should stick to one RB predominantly, but I think it should still be the old formula; let the guy (who's run well so far, this year) in a contract year bust his ass, with giving Mixon a little look here and there, with Gio-van doing his 3rd down shtick.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
Let me have what you're drinking, I want to get loaded too Drunk
Reply/Quote
I respect your optimism but I haven't seen much to make me feel good about this team and the fact the Marvin is still the coach seriously dampens my optimism.

Marv's peak as a coach is one and done and I can't see this team being good enough to overcome him.
Reply/Quote
I would agree that it's not over, but we have a critical defect on this team - the O-line. Can't do much without that. 0 touchdowns in 2 home games? That's a huge problem that won't be fixed until next year.
Reply/Quote
All of the fans even knew that we needed 4 new OLmen and we still do. Everyone knew, even analysts.. Everyone but the Bengals. They didn't try to fix it during the draft or free agency... hell, they even let the only 2 good linemen they had leave. Everyone, Everyone, Everyone knew. I'd never call you a loser but everyone knew, the Bengals didn't care and it's still the same line. This is a 2-4 win team and the Browns will finish above us.
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2017, 10:06 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: A lot of folks won't even click this thread because of the name.  I will be called a blind homer, or worse.  The bottom line is this offense is pathetic, but this defense is for real.  

Do I think it will happen?  Probably not.  I am resigned to the fact that Zampese has taken all-pros and made them look like turds.  His offenses are gawd awful.  But, there is evidence that a lot of teams, even really good teams, have "lulls" in the season where things just aren't firing.  Some on defense, some on offense, etc.  Rarely is one team all-world an entire season on both sides of the ball.

However, if the defense continues to shine against GB and with the extra time to work on the schematic to attack the weakness of the packers (secondary), they could end up 1-2, with Burfict coming back the following week.  A lot of us had them losing to the Packers but beating the Texans.  So, beat the Packers and flip it.

No need to comment on what an optimistic loser I am, but I think the anger over the past couple weeks of horrible offense needs to realize that they still have talent and their QB is a proven winner.  They aren't done.  Not yet.

SHRacer X....I don't think you're an optimistic loser and I do believe in the offensive potential and Andy Dalton still.

However this feels a different sort of 'bad' to me.

We have had times in the dark years when we simply did not have the talent , we have had years when we had critical injuries (2016), we have had years when we told ourselves we had bad luck (2005,2015), we have had years when we had mass regime change (2011).

This year the squad has talent, no major injuries (we have pacman, shawn williams and ross back yesterday), continuity at all of the offensive skill positions, we replenished our DL, 4 ex Rd 1 CB's, and we seemed to get younger, faster across the board.

Going into the season the biggest concern we had was LT and our kicker..that was pretty much it.   

Bearing in mind the drama (hurricanes, new teams relocated in new cities) , injuries (e.g. Baltimore) and coaching/co-ordinator carousels other franchises have dealt with we were really in a potentially very encouraging position to go on a run this season.

Instead we have delivered unbelievable ineptitude on the offensive side.  I too am high on the defense but remember we have faced Baltimore and Houston on offense ...I refuse to believe they are great offenses and we faced both of them when they had serious injuries and questions at QB.

So I am giving up (even if we beat GB bizarrely).  There is something fundamentally wrong on the offensive side of the ball and whilst our OT's are poor I can't even lay it squarely on their shoulders - everyone knew they were a potential liability.

When so much is going wrong you have to  lay it at the Offensive co-ordinators door and if he is not going anywhere then I'm not optimistic.  

It's also on Marvin and Mike Brown too obviously as they made the decision to proceed with him.  When I think where we were offensively in 2015 under HJax to last year and then this year its depressing ...and we may not have seen the worst of it yet!
Reply/Quote
When they go 0-3, it's almost a mathematical certainty they won't make the playoffs. And the way they have played will make that even more of a certainty.

The defense though has been good. Good enough to win games if the offense wasn't a giant turdfest led by Zampese and Dalton. But they aren't an elite defense either. Elite defenses would have shut down the offense last night on that last drive. But nope, PaulieG calls a terrible playcall with no safeties, forcing Pacman to commit PI to save a TD. Inexcusable when its 2nd & 20. Texans get a 1st down from it, and go on to eat the clock with momentum.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
Before the game last night, my wife said if they played like they did against the Ravens, she was done with the Bengals. We've been season ticket holders for over 30 years. As we were leaving last night, she stopped, turned back to face the stadium, and said "Well PBS, it's been fun, but you won't be seeing me again." She definitely won't be attending any more games this year, and renewing for next year is seriously in jeopardy.

Thanks a lot, Mike and Marvin! How the hell could you not see this coming when you let Whitworth and Zeitler walk?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2017, 10:06 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: A lot of folks won't even click this thread because of the name.  I will be called a blind homer, or worse.  The bottom line is this offense is pathetic, but this defense is for real.  

Do I think it will happen?  Probably not.  I am resigned to the fact that Zampese has taken all-pros and made them look like turds.  His offenses are gawd awful.  But, there is evidence that a lot of teams, even really good teams, have "lulls" in the season where things just aren't firing.  Some on defense, some on offense, etc.  Rarely is one team all-world an entire season on both sides of the ball.

However, if the defense continues to shine against GB and with the extra time to work on the schematic to attack the weakness of the packers (secondary), they could end up 1-2, with Burfict coming back the following week.  A lot of us had them losing to the Packers but beating the Texans.  So, beat the Packers and flip it.

No need to comment on what an optimistic loser I am, but I think the anger over the past couple weeks of horrible offense needs to realize that they still have talent and their QB is a proven winner.  They aren't done.  Not yet.

I'm right there with you! Even after last year there were things you could see, that made you think we could be good next year. After the first 2 games this offense is horrible, nobody is on the same page. The OC is calling a rather amatuerist plays. It's almost like he's guess what to call to call instead of thinking 4 or 5 plays ahead. "Hey lets try this or Hey we haven't called this in awhile". I keep telling myself that these guys are professionals and it will all get straightened out.... or maybe not...
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2017, 10:16 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Never giving up until we're mathematically out.

But less of Hill? I think they should stick to one RB predominantly, but I think it should still be the old formula; let the guy (who's run well so far, this year) in a contract year bust his ass, with giving Mixon a little look here and there, with Gio-van doing his 3rd down shtick.

Good!  But Hill just doesn't have the speed and explosiveness to get the edge.  A hole opened big enough for a truck to drive through (I know, seems hard to believe) and he slowly went for it and got easliy tripped up when heading through.  5 yards...same as their back was getting just running in to a pile, except on third down...
Reply/Quote
Guys, and gals, who is willing to take this challenge...if for no other reason, it lift our spirits and look forward to next weekend:

If they beat the Pack in Green Bay, we forget the first two losses and look forward to the rest of the season with a less jaundiced eye. I mean, many of us had them losing in GB, so the Texans game is a flip. And the Rat game? Well, it wasn't the defense, but I feared the worst when Burfict was suspended. If they can pull of the GB game without him, they deserve our support.
Reply/Quote

And hey, they fired Zampese.

In a way i don't want this team to turn around though just cause that might mean Marv and PA coming back.

But firing Zamp is a good sign, hope these two are next and this team could do something.

Even if we win the Superbowl we should let go of these two and move on to some new blood.

Lots of talent all over the board. This team could be very good with a good HC and a decent OL coach.
Reply/Quote
Realistically if we have any chance at salvaging the season we need to make a couple of huge roster moves particularly on the offensive line. Honestly we have 14-2 talent besides our oline which is 2-14 talent.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote