Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Not Having a Practice Facility is an Absolute Embarrassment
(02-11-2020, 09:10 PM)Synric Wrote: Hate to say it but the Steelers probably did it the best way. They split the cost with the University of Pittsburgh and put in whole sports whatever programs for the college. (Medicine, Training etc.) Along with an indoor field that has football and soccer lines, indoor track etc.

But can you get a coney there after practice? Probably not. Think Synric, Think!  Cool

Oh, and what goes better with a coney than an ice cold Coke or beer? Damn, need to get Coke and Budweiser in on the deal. 

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-11-2020, 09:28 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: But can you get a coney there after practice? Probably not. Think Synric, Think!  Cool

Oh, and what goes better with a coney than an ice cold Coke or beer? Damn, need to get Coke and Budweiser in on the deal. 
That kind of deal would lure Andre Smith back to Cincy one more time!
Reply/Quote
(02-11-2020, 10:15 PM)BrownAssClown Wrote: That kind of deal would lure Andre Smith back to Cincy one more time!

NO DEAL!

[Image: giphy.gif]

Reply/Quote
It’s stupid they don’t have one, but it’s not terribly high on my list of problems with Mike Brown.

If we won more no one would give a shit about a practice facility.

Reply/Quote
Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun
Average high in °F: 39 44 55 65 75 83

Average low in °F: 22 26 34 43 53 62
Av. precipitation in inch: 2.87 2.64 3.82 3.82 4.72 4.17
Days with precipitation: 13 11 13 12 12 13
Hours of sunshine: 115 137 186 222 273 309
Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec
Average high in °F: 87 85 79 67 55 44

Average low in °F: 66 64 57 44 36 27
Av. precipitation in inch: 3.86 3.98 3.11 2.83 3.31 3.11
Days with precipitation: 10 9 9 9 10 11
Hours of sunshine: 323 295 253 205 138 118

Bengals rarely practice in January

Average high in December is 44 and November 55
July is 87 and August is 85

Snowflake and spoiled society, they play outdoors and nothing wrong with practicing outdoors
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
I still don't understand why they don't just go to Griffin Elite in Northern Kentucky.

It's 10 minutes from Paul Brown, has indoor practice fields (21k sq ft), workout equipment that I would bet rivals any NFL team's, and cryotherapy.

The guy who built it is a few years younger than me, played college basketball, and his family owns a business that gets paid to pick up oil and other wastes from restaurants and wherever and then sells it to companies making lotion and things. So they basically get paid to make materials to sell, and they also get government grants and tax breaks for getting rid of the waste so it's not polluting the environment. Needless to say, they have more money than God, and, being a former athlete, he knew how to go all-out and get what was needed.

I'd love to ask someone or at least recommend it to Taylor at training camp since crippled people get full-access.
Reply/Quote
(02-11-2020, 08:00 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: What the hell are you doin fishing in potholes on I-75 in Cincinnati for anyway? That was some good shit you were smokin back then. 

[Image: screen-shot-2015-07-23-at-4-19-13-pm.png?ssl=1]

Fishing in potholes? Uhmmm...No.. That happened back when Ohio still had temperatures that stayed below zero for more than a few hours at a time.. I don't remember the exact year (late 70s, maybe early 80s), but there was about 10 feet of ice and snow plowed on the side of the road off I-75. Trust me..I wasn't fishing. That night was really bad. I was stuck off an offramp near some industrial area with nowhere to go. I was too high off the road for traffic to see me, below zero and finally plopped down on my backback and fell asleep. I wouldn't be alive today if a stranger hadn't seen me, stopped and carried me down off the ice and snow to his truck and saved my life. I didn't even wake up until we were already in the truck and heading north. I have never been so cold in my entire life as that night and to this day I'm still extremely weary of cold weather and probably the number one reason the bengals couldn't pay me enough money to sit in a stadium in freezing weather to sit and watch a game of any kind. Also a damned good reason to not hitch hike in the dead of winter.. I must have thought I was completely invincible back in those days. I once hitch hiked to Montana in the winter though a blizzard.. Of course that was before cell phones and instant weather updates.. Back then the weather update was TV news at 11 and newspapers.. Sad
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Could not agree more with Wes.

Reason why I posted that LSU has had an indoor facility for over 20 years.

This is a bush league organization.

Moving from a college team to a pro team should not involve a step down in the quality of facilities.
Reply/Quote
(02-11-2020, 03:59 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Cue the chorus of telling me I'm beating a dead horse...

Yes, it's been discussed and brought up numerous times throughout the years. But still the Bengals sit without one. It remains a relevant gripe and continues to deserve ridicule.

The Mike and Marvin press conference, where Marvin was "keen" on it, and Mike said he thought it would get done after getting through the CBA, was TEN years ago. TEN!!! A full decade... Still nothing.

I'm not sure some here realize just what an embarrassment this is. And how it affects perception in the league, from free agents, in-house players, and rookies.

Right from the get go, a player arrives to this team and already knows it's less than. He's reminded every walk-through in the rain and sub 40 temperatures. He's reminded in 90+ degree days in August and early Sept.

Joe Burrow is joining a team that practices like a high school team. Almost all of these guys are coming from programs where they practiced indoors. Here, it's 10th grade again getting drizzled on, standing around waiting for reps when it's 35 degrees.

I think it's time for the league to step in here and force the issue. Them, or I'm hoping the NFLPA puts into their CBA demands that it must be done. It's not fair for 1/32 of the league to suffer such an outdated and bs approach.

Fwiw, UC is already looking to build a new, better indoor facility. They funded their bubble with 13 mil of alumni donations. And, not even a decade later, theyre looking to add an additional structure to modernize their facility. They play in the American Athletic Conference by the way.

So welcome to Cincinnati, Joe Burrow. Where we practice like it's 1975. And that goes for all the rookies and free agents too. Don't believe all that negative stuff you hear about us either. Just ignore the weather and take a salt tablet. Remember your food pyramid too.

/ENDRANT
1. Bengals use UC when needed which is just a couple miles away
2.  They have a small indoor one
3.  The Updates to weight room, indoor pool etc was mentioned a year ago that puts them ahead of other teams facilities ..
4.  I prefer having in the elements and not sugar coat it when it cold etc
5.  This is a minor issue that you made a major issue of
Reply/Quote
(02-12-2020, 12:23 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote:    Snowflake and spoiled society, they play outdoors and nothing wrong with practicing outdoors

Actually there is a lot wrong with having to practice outdoors in extreme cold.  The body uses a lot of energy just to keep arm.  So you have to reduce the number of reps in practice to keep from wearing your team down.

It is good to spend some time out in the cold if you are going to play in the cold, but you can't work as hard as teams who can move inside.

Bengals have access to an indoor facility, so I don't really see it as a big issue.
Reply/Quote
(02-12-2020, 12:09 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: 1. Bengals use UC when needed which is just a couple miles away
2.  They have a small indoor one
3.  The Updates to weight room, indoor pool etc was mentioned a year ago that puts them ahead of other teams facilities ..
4.  I prefer having in the elements and not sugar coat it when it cold etc
5.  This is a minor issue that you made a major issue of

1.) They have used UC's facility less than 25 times total in 10 years. They only use it when they absolutely have to, and that's when it's even available. That leaves a lot of cold, a lot of hot, a lot snowy, a lot of rainy, and a lot of windy days where we outside where others properly run teams are indoors.

2.) The small indoor one is 20 yards with low ceilings. No intermediate to long passes. No punting. No kicking. No deep route work. No 11 on 11 drills. etc. etc. etc.

3.) The weight room has nothing to do with the discussion at hand.

4.) Then I suppose you know more than the other NFL teams, every major college program, and dozens of high schools. They all build these things for no reason whatsoever. I guess they all just love wasting millions of dollars.

5.) See #4. If it were a minor thing you wouldn't see the investments made across the board from all of these teams and programs.
Reply/Quote
(02-12-2020, 12:17 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Bengals have access to an indoor facility, so I don't really see it as a big issue.

This is kinda a bs idea that too many people have bought into. I'm not trying to be rude, let me explain and further clarify.

They rarely use UC's facility. Fwiw, and you can believe this if you want, I'm pretty well connected to the school. My buddy's brother in law is pretty high up in the athletic department and he's confirmed a lot of this. Not too mention I'm an alumn, a (small) donor/booster, and spend a ton of time down there as a season ticket holder in bball and fb.

1.) The Bengals are lucky to go down there 3x a year. I don't think there were there at all last year.
2.) My buddy in the AD, the last time I brought it up, estimated theyve used less than 15 times total.
3.) UC will NOT EVER kick out one of their teams to make room for the Bengals. The football team, both soccer teams, the baseball team, and the track team all use that facility.
4.) The Bengals don't book days at a time or well in advance. It's a last minute emergency type situation.
5.) The Bengals do not store equipment there. They are left scrambling when forced to relocate.

So yeah, they can and do use it sometimes, but it's extremely rare. They don't head there when it's 95 degrees for example. They don't head over there when a thunderstorm comes through. They don't over there just cuz it's cold. They only go when a bunch of snow has already fallen, and only if it's not in use.

I'm really not trying to single you out here. But this idea that can and do use UC's facility whenever they want and they do it often is completely false.
Reply/Quote
(02-12-2020, 12:47 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: This is kinda a bs idea that too many people have bought into. I'm not trying to be rude, let me explain and further clarify.

They rarely use UC's facility. Fwiw, and you can believe this if you want, I'm pretty well connected to the school. My buddy's brother in law is pretty high up in the athletic department and he's confirmed a lot of this. Not too mention I'm an alumn, a (small) donor/booster, and spend a ton of time down there as a season ticket holder in bball and fb.

1.) The Bengals are lucky to go down there 3x a year. I don't think there were there at all last year.
2.) My buddy in the AD, the last time I brought it up, estimated theyve used less than 15 times total.
3.) UC will NOT EVER kick out one of their teams to make room for the Bengals. The football team, both soccer teams, the baseball team, and the track team all use that facility.
4.) The Bengals don't book days at a time or well in advance. It's a last minute emergency type situation.
5.) The Bengals do not store equipment there. They are left scrambling when forced to relocate.

So yeah, they can and do use it sometimes, but it's extremely rare. They don't head there when it's 95 degrees for example. They don't head over there when a thunderstorm comes through. They don't over there just cuz it's cold. They only go when a bunch of snow has already fallen, and only if it's not in use.

I'm really not trying to single you out here. But this idea that can and do use UC's facility whenever they want and they do it often is completely false.

I agree with you Wes. It's pretty much total BS the Bengals don't have a state of the art indoor practice facility. There's just no excuse that holds water.
Reply/Quote
(02-11-2020, 11:50 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: It’s stupid they don’t have one, but it’s not terribly high on my list of problems with Mike Brown.

If we won more no one would give a shit about a practice facility.

I agree about the winning, it solves all problems. But it's 2020 not 1975 and umm I'm quite sure MB has the money. How much it's actually needed is to some extent debatable ? But it's about perceptions, it's about getting with the times, it's about showing the players some love.
Reply/Quote
How often does it rain here from Aug through Dec? Like, more than a drizzle, almost and up to pouring buckets? And what about lightning?

Guess what happens to that practice? A lot of times it results in packing it up and moving indoors.

Let's say they stay outside.. You think running a practice in the rain is ideal for reps? Do you think throwing and kicking in 30+ mph winds is good for quality reps? Do you think standing outside in the cold helps guys nursing hamstring and muscle strains, sprained ankles, etc.?

You think the players like getting rained on, or freezing their dicks off? Do you think guys from Florida and Cali like standing around outside in Cincy in fall and winter? Do you think 95 degree practices are ideal for walkthroughs or are enjoyable?

There are a number reasons so many teams use these, even year round. From HS, to college, to the pros. From soccer to football to baseball. And it's for a lot of reasons other than the avoidance of cold weather.

Practicing outside because you play outside is a dated and flawed logic. It's stupid. These are stand-a-lone, multi-use facilites that provide a slew of benifits beyond simply having a roof.

It's completely unproffessional not to have one. Period.
Reply/Quote
This article is from 2011. Mike Brown's quote (in bold) is especially interesting. I take from it, now, that he is both a liar and a stubborn old fool.

One of the conditions that Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis was an indoor practice facility for the team to practice in during the winter months. Cincinnati is the northern most city with an NFL team without an indoor facility. Mike Brown alongside Marvin Lewis talked about the thought of building an indoor facility during a press conference in January after Lewis signed an extension with the Bengals. During the press conference, Brown said:

"We worked in the cold weather, we played in the cold weather. It didn't seem to hurt us any to practice in the cold weather; we played pretty well in it. But, I do know that it is the way it is trending. It's a fact that we have been behind what others are doing. Whether that makes them better than us because they have an indoor facility is a question. But, it's coming".

The indoor facility isn't built yet and it won't be built by the time winter rolls around. However, the Bengals players still won't be practicing out in the cold. As part of the deal to allow the University of Cincinnati Bearcat football team play in Paul Brown Stadium twice this football season, according to Mike Brown, the Bengals will be practicing in UC's indoor practice facility.

It's something that we look at. The thing we're going to do this year is go up to UC. They come down here and practice and play and we've made an arrangement with them that later in the year when the weather changes, if it's not a conflict with what we're doing, we can have time and space in their place and see how that works and then go from there.
This is good news considering that being in a warmer climate during practice could cut down on injuries and it would keep the players happy. The Bengals may have an indoor facility of their own by winter in 2012, but for this winter, this will do.
Reply/Quote
(02-12-2020, 01:03 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: How often does it rain here from Aug through Dec? Like, more than a drizzle, almost and up to pouring buckets?  And what about lightning?

Guess what happens to that practice? A lot of times it results in packing it up and moving indoors.

Let's say they stay outside.. You think running a practice in the rain is ideal for reps? Do you think throwing and kicking in 30+ mph winds is good for quality reps? Do you think standing outside in the cold helps guys nursing hamstring and muscle strains, sprained ankles, etc.?

You think the players like getting rained on, or freezing their dicks off? Do you think guys from Florida and Cali like standing around outside in Cincy in fall and winter?  Do you think 95 degree practices are ideal for walkthroughs or are enjoyable?

There are a number reasons so many teams use these, even year round. From HS, to college, to the pros. From soccer to football to baseball. And it's for a lot of reasons other than the avoidance of cold weather.

Practicing outside because you play outside is a dated and flawed logic. It's stupid. These are stand-a-lone, multi-use facilites that provide a slew of benifits beyond simply having a roof.

It's completely unproffessional not to have one. Period.

Not to mention that the practice time they have has been seriously slashed of late. They need every single second to say the least !
Reply/Quote
Dayton Daily News

CINCINNATI —
Tuesday afternoon the Cincinnati Bengals made their second trip in as many weeks to the University of Cincinnati’s practice bubble, which is something they didn’t do at all ahead of last year’s playoff game despite even lower temperatures.

The team began preparations for last year’s game in Houston practicing outside in 22-degree weather with a 14-degree wind chill that left wide receiver A.J. Green complaining of numb toes and no doubt played a role in quarterback Andy Dalton getting sick enough to miss the entire practice the following day.A UC official said the temperature inside the bubble was 70 degrees Tuesday
Reply/Quote
(02-12-2020, 12:23 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote:     Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun
Average high in °F:    39 44 55 65 75 83

Average low in °F:    22 26 34 43 53 62
Av. precipitation in inch: 2.87 2.64 3.82 3.82 4.72 4.17
Days with precipitation: 13 11 13 12 12 13
Hours of sunshine: 115 137 186 222 273 309
                       Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec
Average high in °F:    87 85 79 67 55 44

Average low in °F:    66 64 57 44 36 27
Av. precipitation in inch: 3.86 3.98 3.11 2.83 3.31 3.11
Days with precipitation: 10 9 9 9 10 11
Hours of sunshine: 323 295 253 205 138 118

Bengals rarely practice in January

Average high in December is 44 and November  55
July is 87 and August is 85

Snowflake and spoiled society, they play outdoors and nothing wrong with practicing outdoors

It is strange that ownership won't pony up for a environmentally controlled facility which would guarantee 100% meeting of practice schedule.  No cancellation due to thunder storms, high winds, etc for instance during July and August.  Once the season rolls around they could practice indoors when playing indoors and practice outdoors when playing outdoors. 
Owners are control freaks by nature and weather isn't controlled unless having an indoor facility. 
But whatever, its a low concern item to me, Bengal ownership has many other more pressing problems.
Reply/Quote
(02-11-2020, 07:49 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Why not ask Denny's to build it? Mike has invested a lot into them over the years. Or ask Skyline and Gold star to get in on negotiations and the first one to build it, they can have their name on the practice facility and be the official chili of the Cincinnati Bengals?

Hell, partner with Gold star (only because they're the official sponsor; prefer Skyline myself) to open a practice facility/fast food restaurant paid for by Gold Star. You can have one side of the building be the restaurant and then have a glass wall where patrons can watch the Bengals practice. Heck, Mike can even charge Gold Star for the privilege (after having GS pay for the construction, of course) and make him some money in the process. 
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote