Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Not Having a Practice Facility is an Absolute Embarrassment
Cue the chorus of telling me I'm beating a dead horse...

Yes, it's been discussed and brought up numerous times throughout the years. But still the Bengals sit without one. It remains a relevant gripe and continues to deserve ridicule.

The Mike and Marvin press conference, where Marvin was "keen" on it, and Mike said he thought it would get done after getting through the CBA, was TEN years ago. TEN!!! A full decade... Still nothing.

I'm not sure some here realize just what an embarrassment this is. And how it affects perception in the league, from free agents, in-house players, and rookies.

Right from the get go, a player arrives to this team and already knows it's less than. He's reminded every walk-through in the rain and sub 40 temperatures. He's reminded in 90+ degree days in August and early Sept.

Joe Burrow is joining a team that practices like a high school team. Almost all of these guys are coming from programs where they practiced indoors. Here, it's 10th grade again getting drizzled on, standing around waiting for reps when it's 35 degrees.

I think it's time for the league to step in here and force the issue. Them, or I'm hoping the NFLPA puts into their CBA demands that it must be done. It's not fair for 1/32 of the league to suffer such an outdated and bs approach.

Fwiw, UC is already looking to build a new, better indoor facility. They funded their bubble with 13 mil of alumni donations. And, not even a decade later, theyre looking to add an additional structure to modernize their facility. They play in the American Athletic Conference by the way.

So welcome to Cincinnati, Joe Burrow. Where we practice like it's 1975. And that goes for all the rookies and free agents too. Don't believe all that negative stuff you hear about us either. Just ignore the weather and take a salt tablet. Remember your food pyramid too.

/ENDRANT
Reply/Quote
Eh. I think practicing in the elements is good for the players if the have to play in the elements. I want a practice facility, but mostly for the times when the weather is dangerous, like lightning. It would also be a good place for predraft workouts.
Reply/Quote
So Mike Brown comes out and says "Wes Mantooth, build us a beautiful new indoor practice facility, and I will pay for it." Where are you going to put it?
Reply/Quote
I joked years ago that the Bengals will get an indoor practice facility when Mike Brown finds out a way to get the Hamilton County tax payers to pay for it. Well, the lease is coming up soon, so it wouldn't surprise me that a new facility will be brought up in negotiations with the city. I mean the Bengals got the biggest sweetheart deal in all of sports last time, why not get even more in the new deal.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-11-2020, 04:09 PM)Sled21 Wrote: So Mike Brown comes out and says "Wes Mantooth, build us a beautiful new indoor practice facility, and I will pay for it." Where are you going to put it?

You have a plethora of options. Just keep it in the Hamilton County and don't go east to Clermont. It's a stand-alone facility. Like many others around the league, it doesnt need to be next door to the stadium.

If you want specific locations down to the parcel, ask a commericial realtor or someone from the auditor's office, not me.
Reply/Quote
FYI: FC Cincinnati, the local soccer team with revenues that are 1/100 of the Bengals, just built a 35 million dollar facilty in Milford.

It's already completed and opened. That franchise has only been around like 5 years and was minor league up until 2018.
Reply/Quote
IIRC, there have been rumblings that one will be built once the concrete company leaves, somewhere down the river (forgive me, but as I don't live in the country, let alone the city, I'm not sure of names or exact locations), as the Bengals purchased that land last year or in 2018 or whatever.

If that rings true, I'd expect to see a facility go up in the next 5 years or less (depending on how long it takes to build one; also not sure about that).
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-11-2020, 04:47 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: IIRC, there have been rumblings that one will be built once the concrete company leaves, somewhere down the river (forgive me, but as I don't live in the country, let alone the city, I'm not sure of names or exact locations), as the Bengals purchased that land last year or in 2018 or whatever.

If that rings true, I'd expect to see a facility go up in the next 5 years or less (depending on how long it takes to build one; also not sure about that).

Unless something has recently changed the concrete company is attatched to the Music Venue deal.

The plan, as I underdtood it, is the Music Venue will built in the empty lot a across from PBS. Because the Bengals "allowed" the city construction there the city in turn purchased the Hilltop lot for the Bengals, who plan to reserve it for tailgaiting.

If they're planning a facility there it's news to me.  Anybody heard anything on this?
Reply/Quote
Paul Dehner Jr.
@pauldehnerjr
As for reports #Bengals are getting an indoor facility, they are not. Let's start there. They have always had the right to build one if they want. They now could also build one on the new Hilltop property they are acquiring in the music venue deal. They have NO plans to do so.
1:42 PM · Nov 14, 2018·TweetDeck
Reply/Quote
(02-11-2020, 03:59 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: I'm not sure some here realize just what an embarrassment this is. 

Not near as big of an issue as you keep claiming it to be.

I have never once heard it mentioned by any free agent or Bengal player that we fail to re-sign.
Reply/Quote
Sure would shut up a lot of the people complaining about Mikey's cheapness if he did get going on building a practice
facility. Don't understand why he doesn't. It would only help the guy in the long run and his family and the team. Kind
of like the notion of Mikey not going the extra mile in FA to win a Superbowl. If he did more fans would come and jump
on the bandwagon and he would sell much more merchandise and tickets.

Just good bidness. Mellow
Reply/Quote
(02-11-2020, 05:03 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Paul Dehner Jr.
@pauldehnerjr
As for reports #Bengals are getting an indoor facility, they are not. Let's start there. They have always had the right to build one if they want. They now could also build one on the new Hilltop property they are acquiring in the music venue deal. They have NO plans to do so.
1:42 PM · Nov 14, 2018·TweetDeck

Gotcha, that's the one.

Guess I either misunderstood or misinterpreted something.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-11-2020, 05:09 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Not near as big of an issue as you keep claiming it to be.

I have never once heard it mentioned by any free agent or Bengal player that we fail to re-sign.

Well we have been getting along without one for over 50 years so there's that, but I suspect those free agents and those that represent them do their homework on any team that they are interested in. These players are used to being wined and dined and treated like royalty when they visit a city that wants to obtain their services. I know Marvin wanted one built and Mike Brown wasn't to "keen" on the idea. Marvin probably had got an earful from his players and potential free agents about it also. The word is and has been out for along time how things are done in Cincinnati, from no indoor practice facility, to a less than stellar medical staff, to locking up the gatorade. Whether these criticisms are warranted or not doesn't matter, that's the perception we have. There's a reason we earned the rep as a "Mom and Pop organization".
Reply/Quote
(02-11-2020, 03:59 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Cue the chorus of telling me I'm beating a dead horse...

Yes, it's been discussed and brought up numerous times throughout the years. But still the Bengals sit without one. It remains a relevant gripe and continues to deserve ridicule.

The Mike and Marvin press conference, where Marvin was "keen" on it, and Mike said he thought it would get done after getting through the CBA, was TEN years ago. TEN!!! A full decade... Still nothing.

I'm not sure some here realize just what an embarrassment this is. And how it affects perception in the league, from free agents, in-house players, and rookies.

Right from the get go, a player arrives to this team and already knows it's less than. He's reminded every walk-through in the rain and sub 40 temperatures. He's reminded in 90+ degree days in August and early Sept.

Joe Burrow is joining a team that practices like a high school team. Almost all of these guys are coming from programs where they practiced indoors. Here, it's 10th grade again getting drizzled on, standing around waiting for reps when it's 35 degrees.

I think it's time for the league to step in here and force the issue. Them, or I'm hoping the NFLPA puts into their CBA demands that it must be done. It's not fair for 1/32 of the league to suffer such an outdated and bs approach.

Fwiw, UC is already looking to build a new, better indoor facility. They funded their bubble with 13 mil of alumni donations. And, not even a decade later, theyre looking to add an additional structure to modernize their facility. They play in the American Athletic Conference by the way.

So welcome to Cincinnati, Joe Burrow. Where we practice like it's 1975. And that goes for all the rookies and free agents too. Don't believe all that negative stuff you hear about us either. Just ignore the weather and take a salt tablet. Remember your food pyramid too.

/ENDRANT

How many times have you made this thread?  could you just bring the old ones up from the dead?

Why keep bringing up something we have no input on.
Reply/Quote
Why not ask Denny's to build it? Mike has invested a lot into them over the years. Or ask Skyline and Gold star to get in on negotiations and the first one to build it, they can have their name on the practice facility and be the official chili of the Cincinnati Bengals?

Reply/Quote
I can think of a lot worse things than practicing in Cincinnati football in freezing weather in Cincinnati..like hitch hiking on 1-75 on a freezing night in Cincinnati. I came within about a half hour of freezing to death out there back in the late 70s.. Fun times. Nervous
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(02-11-2020, 07:51 PM)grampahol Wrote: I can think of a lot worse things than practicing in Cincinnati football in freezing weather in Cincinnati..like hitch hiking on 1-75 on a freezing night in Cincinnati. I came within about a half hour of freezing to death out there back in the late 70s.. Fun times. Nervous

What the hell are you doin fishing in potholes on I-75 in Cincinnati for anyway? That was some good shit you were smokin back then. 

[Image: screen-shot-2015-07-23-at-4-19-13-pm.png?ssl=1]

Reply/Quote
(02-11-2020, 07:49 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Why not ask Denny's to build it? Mike has invested a lot into them over the years. Or ask Skyline and Gold star to get in on negotiations and the first one to build it, they can have their name on the practice facility and be the official chili of the Cincinnati Bengals?

Now that's a good idea. Wonder why it hasn't been proposed by someone by now. I understand Mike Brown not wanting to sell naming rights to Paul Brown Stadium, but I can't see him being against a corporate named indoor practice facility. ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(02-11-2020, 08:00 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: What the hell are you doin fishing in potholes on I-75 in Cincinnati for anyway? That was some good shit you were smokin back then. 

[Image: screen-shot-2015-07-23-at-4-19-13-pm.png?ssl=1]

You are good man, you are good. Smirk
Reply/Quote
(02-11-2020, 07:49 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Why not ask Denny's to build it? Mike has invested a lot into them over the years. Or ask Skyline and Gold star to get in on negotiations and the first one to build it, they can have their name on the practice facility and be the official chili of the Cincinnati Bengals?

Hate to say it but the Steelers probably did it the best way. They split the cost with the University of Pittsburgh and put in whole sports whatever programs for the college. (Medicine, Training etc.) Along with an indoor field that has football and soccer lines, indoor track etc.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote