Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Not everyone is down on Zampese
(09-21-2016, 07:46 PM)Vas Deferens Wrote: Also, you'd think someone that good would have been offered an OC gig elsewhere in the league AT SOME POINT.  He's gotten a couple of cursory glances, but not many lot across 10+ years.

They got caught with their sears trousers down when Hue left and went with the easiest cheapest option.

(09-21-2016, 07:55 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: They sure did..

(09-21-2016, 08:02 PM)Wyche Wrote: Indeed gentlemen....I also find it funny that no one else tried to lure our HOF QB coach to come and lead their next John Unitas for their team.  I guess like good ol Johann Sebastian over in the o line office....he's too good for the Patriots and Seahwaks of the world.....they would rather remain loyal and go "0-fer" in the Wild Card round.  Rings are for sissies......amirite? Ninja

So you guys think Mike Zimmer was a bad hire for the Vikings because he was a DC for 13 years before some one offered him a head coaching position? Smirk

You guys just complain no matter who the Bengals hire.  It was a "joke" when we hired an arena league guy to run our offense (Gruden), and it was a "lazy hire" when we promoted Guenther.

Haters gonna hate.
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2016, 08:34 PM)fredtoast Wrote: So you guys think Mike Zimmer was a bad hire for the Vikings because he was a DC for 13 years before some one offered him a head coaching position? Smirk

You guys just complain no matter who the Bengals hire.  It was a "joke" when we hired an arena league guy to run our offense (Gruden), and it was a "lazy hire" when we promoted Guenther.

Haters gonna hate.

Coordinator......position coach. Clearly the same thing Mellow

I don't think I commented either way on Paulie or Gruden. In fact....everyone was so damn glad to see your hero Bratdumbass leave....we would have rejoiced had they promoted JB !  I may have said something about a lack of fire and brimstone from Paul AFTER Zim left....but don't recall strong feelings either way on him.  I know Zim tried to poach him....so that spoke volumes.

Serious question....did Hue try to steal KZ?

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2016, 08:34 PM)fredtoast Wrote: So you guys think Mike Zimmer was a bad hire for the Vikings because he was a DC for 13 years before some one offered him a head coaching position? Smirk

Haters gonna hate.

Actually, no.  I thought Zimmer was a fantastic hire for the Vikings.  Personally, I was quite sad that the Bengals let him get away.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2016, 08:44 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Actually, no.  I thought Zimmer was a fantastic hire for the Vikings.  Personally, I was quite sad that the Bengals let him get away.

Count me in on that train.

Reply/Quote
I was also crushed when Zimmer left. Good to see him doing well so far up for MIN.
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2016, 08:56 PM)JumboTron Wrote: I was also crushed when Zimmer left.  Good to see him doing well so far up for MIN.

Right now.....he's got a minor miracle going up there....now AP is out....if he maintains the winning going through all of this....he's COTY material.

Reply/Quote
(09-21-2016, 08:40 PM)Wyche Wrote: Coordinator......position coach. Clearly the same thing Mellow

Why would your logic only apply to position coaches and not coordinators.

If lack of promotion is proof that a coach is incompetent then why would that not apply to coordinators?
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2016, 09:16 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Why would your logic only apply to position coaches and not coordinators.

If lack of promotion is proof that a coach is incompetent then why would that not apply to coordinators?

Pretty sure we've covered this before....g'night fred....bye bye battery.

Reply/Quote
(09-21-2016, 07:09 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Just because an engineer is great at designing engines, does not mean that he is automatically great at driving strategy.

This guy has a point here. 
Confucius say, he who go to bed with itchy butt wake up with smelly finger.
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2016, 07:09 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Just because an engineer is great at designing engines, does not mean that he is automatically great at driving strategy.

Of course that is true at times.   My point is passing judgement on his abilities as an OC after only two games is a bit shortsighted imo.  He may end up being garbage, decent or great.  Let's just wait and see.  
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2016, 12:03 AM)JumboTron Wrote: Of course that is true at times.   My point is passing judgement on his abilities as an OC after only two games is a bit shortsighted imo.  He may end up being garbage, decent or great.  Let's just wait and see.  

The guy isn't even used to being over the entire offense.  Watch during the games, the only guy he communicates with, is Andy.  That's great, for he and Andy's relationship, but sort of awkward for the rest of the offense. 

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2016, 12:05 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: The guy isn't even used to being over the entire offense.  Watch during the games, the only guy he communicates with, is Andy.  That's great, for he and Andy's relationship, but sort of awkward for the rest of the offense. 

Yes, well that is obviously something he needs to work on no doubt, and I hope he does.  Again, he's just two full regular season games into his tenure as OC.   If those kinks and issues are still there come mid-season then obviously that will not bode well in terms of his competency of overseeing an offense.
Reply/Quote
I truly don't understand the theory or thought process that insinuates that Coach Z was completely blind to the offensive scheme when he was "just the QB coach." I mean, that would only make sense if his only job was to work with QB's at practice and didn't participate in working with past OC's on the sidelines. As if he turned a blind eye to it during games and didn't really care. Z isn't new to the Bengals, the offensive game plan, or the situational play calling. So let's stop acting like he is. The offense has some bugs to work out right now, but it isn't on the OC. They desperately need better blocking to open up the run game and to allow Andy time to find open WR's. This is our sole struggle right now.
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2016, 03:07 AM)sixxfan26 Wrote: I truly don't understand the theory or thought process that insinuates that Coach Z was completely blind to the offensive scheme when he was "just the QB coach." I mean, that would only make sense if his only job was to work with QB's at practice and didn't participate in working with past OC's on the sidelines. As if he turned a blind eye to it during games and didn't really care. Z isn't new to the Bengals, the offensive game plan, or the situational play calling. So let's stop acting like he is. The offense has some bugs to work out right now, but it isn't on the OC. They desperately need better blocking to open up the run game and to allow Andy time to find open WR's. This is our sole struggle right now.

Exactly !

Guys want to act like he's brand new to this scheme, game planing, offense, however you want to put it. He's not !

I don't want to get out the pitchforks and torches just yet, but one eyebrow is way up. This team is to good to have an offense that (overall) looks like it's firing on 4 of 8 cylinders.
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2016, 03:07 AM)sixxfan26 Wrote: I truly don't understand the theory or thought process that insinuates that Coach Z was completely blind to the offensive scheme when he was "just the QB coach." I mean, that would only make sense if his only job was to work with QB's at practice and didn't participate in working with past OC's on the sidelines. As if he turned a blind eye to it during games and didn't really care. Z isn't new to the Bengals, the offensive game plan, or the situational play calling. So let's stop acting like he is. The offense has some bugs to work out right now, but it isn't on the OC. They desperately need better blocking to open up the run game and to allow Andy time to find open WR's. This is our sole struggle right now.

Right.....Ludwig Van Alexander is the one everyone should be looking at right now.

Reply/Quote
When the O-line learns how to block coach z and the offense will look much better. Our rookie WR had 78 yards rcv in just his second game.

LaFell had 99 in just his first.

How many sacks now through 2 games? Then one must consider that since AD was sacked a whopping 7 times in the first game. That forced coach z and AD to completely alter what they were wanting to do by game 2 against Pitt.

This is supposed to be a line filled with road graters yet they can't run the football and when our QB drops back more than 3 steps he's getting smoked.

The coach that folks should railing against is PA. He has a line filled with high draft talent and right now they just aren't very good.
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2016, 12:34 PM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: When the O-line learns how to block coach z and the offense will look much better. Our rookie WR had 78 yards rcv in just his second game.

LaFell had 99 in just his first.

How many sacks now through 2 games? Then one must consider that since AD was sacked a whopping 7 times in the first game. That forced coach z and AD to completely alter what they were wanting to do by game 2 against Pitt.

This is supposed to be a line filled with road graters yet they can't run the football and when our QB drops back more than 3 steps he's getting smoked.

The coach that folks should railing against is PA. He has a line filled with high draft talent and right now they just aren't very good.

Damn right, and some of them are hand picked....

Reply/Quote
Obviously the first two teams the Bengals faced this season were intent on stopping the run, and the Jets even believed that Revis could shut down Green. The squeelers took away the run and played a lot of zone with extra people over the top of green. I believe Denver will follow the squeelers and hope that their pressure on the QB is even quicker and not letting the Bengals complete the big play. The Bengals RB's will have to do a lot of pass blocking, there should be a lot of three step quick hit passes if the DB's play off, and personally I would play up tempo to wear out the pass rushers to make the run viable. You either run to set up the pass or vice a versa - but the current MO in defensive styles is take away what you typically do best (last year they ran pretty good) and take away the best threat (Green). Boyd, Lafell and whichever TE is in there have to have big games to set up the run.
Reply/Quote
Hard for me to be down on the guy with how the OL has played especially in the run game. I didn't like
the call where we did Playaction on 3rd and 1 last week but other than that call i cannot complain.

Plus, don't know for sure how many of these calls are Andy's either...
Reply/Quote
We blew it letting Munchak get to the Steelers.

Which is tough to type with the hair pull incident and all, but I'm going to hold strong to my initial belief. Munchak would have been a great OL coach hire/upgrade.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote