Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Job Seeking Question
So I've been looking for a new job lately. Not that I don't like my current one but the potential for moving up just isn't there as much as I like and, frankly, I need a higher salary.

Anyway I had this one job I thought I had. Made it to a 2nd interview - felt as though I knocked both interviews out of the park btw - but ended up not getting it.

Well, today I see the same job posting for the same position with the same company. I'm tempted to re-apply but wouldn't they contact me if it was just a matter of someone being a better candidate? Or should I do it anyway and see what happens? I'm worried that it's more of a case of it wasn't the other candidate being better but they just felt I was the wrong fit. I don't want to waste either of our time but it did look like a job I'd enjoy.

Sent from my LG-Q710AL using Tapatalk
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
I'd say go ahead and re-apply. I'm thinking that you likely have a solid resume and positive work record. I'm not sure if age or diversity requirements come into play in your given situation, but I do know that those are sometimes reasons that qualified people get passed over for employment. (though the perspective employer would likely never tell you that)
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2020, 10:12 AM)PhilHos Wrote: So I've been looking for a new job lately. Not that I don't like my current one but the potential for moving up just isn't there as much as I like and, frankly, I need a higher salary.

Anyway I had this one job I thought I had. Made it to a 2nd interview - felt as though I knocked both interviews out of the park btw - but ended up not getting it.

Well, today I see the same job posting for the same position with the same company. I'm tempted to re-apply but wouldn't they contact me if it was just a matter of someone being a better candidate? Or should I do it anyway and see what happens? I'm worried that it's more of a case of it wasn't the other candidate being better but they just felt I was the wrong fit. I don't want to waste either of our time but it did look like a job I'd enjoy.

I would, what's the worst that can happen? If they thought you weren't a fit, they won't call you, but at least you tried.
Reply/Quote
If you got a second interview the first time then definitely try again.

You have absolutely nothing to lose.

Just remember to wear pants this time.
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2020, 10:12 AM)PhilHos Wrote: So I've been looking for a new job lately. Not that I don't like my current one but the potential for moving up just isn't there as much as I like and, frankly, I need a higher salary.

How long ago did you apply? I do a lot of hiring and I can tell you I've had to choose between candidates who were similar in qualities, experience and education. I'm pretty good at reading if someone is a better fit for the company than the other, but been wrong a few times too, and was glad to hire the alternative. If you applied a few years ago, then I guarantee you the talent pool is much thinner now than it was then. It's getting tough to find someone with a good work ethic. But even if recent, I would still do it because if you were considered and someone else was chosen and they didn't call and tell you (which happens more often then not and I'm guilty of doing the same) it doesn't mean you weren't next on the list of considerations. You mention you had a 2nd interview and that says a lot. I say by all means go for it. Besides, your a BengalsBoard HOF'er now. That alone will put you above and beyond any other candidates.  Wink

Reply/Quote
They may not have had any problem with the person they hired before you. That person just may have left for a better job.

Or they may be growing/expanding an need another person in the same position.
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2020, 12:31 PM)fredtoast Wrote: They may not have had any problem with the person they hired before you.  That person just may have left for a better job.

Or they may be growing/expanding an need another person in the same position.

Very good point. And so was the one about wearing pants.

I recently had to choose between two very strong candidates for a position. One girl wore shorts into the interview and although equally qualified and terrific in her interview, I just couldn't get past the shorts so hired the other candidate. 2 weeks later I needed to add a position and called that girl in for another interview. This time she was dressed properly and I hired her on the spot (after explaining our dress code and policies). I'm glad too because she is sharp. Both of them are extremely talented and I got pretty lucky getting them both.

Reply/Quote
(01-13-2020, 12:28 PM)fredtoast Wrote: If you got a second interview the first time then definitely try again.

But how else to prove that my penis is as large as it's listed on my resume?  Mellow
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2020, 12:28 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: How long ago did you apply? I do a lot of hiring and I can tell you I've had to choose between candidates who were similar in qualities, experience and education. I'm pretty good at reading if someone is a better fit for the company than the other, but been wrong a few times too, and was glad to hire the alternative. If you applied a few years ago, then I guarantee you the talent pool is much thinner now than it was then. It's getting tough to find someone with a good work ethic. But even if recent, I would still do it because if you were considered and someone else was chosen and they didn't call and tell you (which happens more often then not and I'm guilty of doing the same) it doesn't mean you weren't next on the list of considerations. You mention you had a 2nd interview and that says a lot. I say by all means go for it. Besides, your a BengalsBoard HOF'er now. That alone will put you above and beyond any other candidates.  Wink

I only applied a couple of months ago. My 2nd interview happened right before Thanksgiving
Reply/Quote
Definitely reapply! What sort of work do you do?
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2020, 01:35 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Definitely reapply!  What sort of work do you do?

Work. I work. I work at a job. I work at a job doing work.  Mellow
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2020, 12:43 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Very good point. And so was the one about wearing pants.

I recently had to choose between two very strong candidates for a position. One girl wore shorts into the interview and although equally qualified and terrific in her interview, I just couldn't get past the shorts so hired the other candidate. 2 weeks later I needed to add a position and called that girl in for another interview. This time she was dressed properly and I hired her on the spot (after explaining our dress code and policies). I'm glad too because she is sharp. Both of them are extremely talented and I got pretty lucky getting them both.

Were they shorty shorts? Hairy legs?
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2020, 12:28 PM)fredtoast Wrote: If you got a second interview the first time then definitely try again.

...and pick your nose BEFORE your next interview..not during.  ThumbsUp
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(01-13-2020, 12:43 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Both of them are extremely talented and I got pretty lucky getting them both.

How does your wife feel about this?

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2020, 07:13 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: How does your wife feel about this?

Funny you ask. I mentioned to her about the girl in shorts and how that was the reason I had passed on her. Then a few weeks later told her I was hiring her. Her reaction was: "Your going to do WHAT?  Twitch ." 

Hilarious

Reply/Quote
Nobody cares how much talent they have.. Geeeez! We want pictures...NAKED pictures.... The old adage still applies.. Pics or it didn't happen. ThumbsUp ...and you can tell your wife I said that since I'm not the one who has to tell her.. LOL
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote