Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Not just a new year, but a new decade
Usually look back over the last year on Jan first, but this time I have looked back over the last decade.

From '00 to '09 I pretty much had one job and lived in one house. From '10 through '19 I lived in three different cities and worked in three different locations.

My oldest child started school in '10. She skipped a grade and is now a Junior making plans for college.

I owned three different cars over the last decade. One for only a couple of years which is very rare for me.

I got divorced.

Pretty boring shit. Anyone else have more dramatic changes over the last decade?
Reply/Quote
New decade? Do you always stop at 9 when you count to 10?

Smirk
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2020, 06:07 PM)Jason_NC Wrote: New decade?  Do you always stop at 9 when you count to 10?

Smirk

If I start at 0 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2020, 01:00 PM)bfine32 Wrote: If I start at 0 

Well, the folks who came up with the calendar we use started with 1 AD, not zero. So the first decade of the last millennium ended with 10 AD, not 9 AD. Thus every decade, century, and millennium begins with a 1 and ends with a 0. That’s why 2020 is the last year in the current decade and 2021 is the first year of the next decade.
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2020, 01:54 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Well, the folks who came up with the calendar we use started with 1 AD, not zero. So the first decade of the last millennium ended with 10 AD, not 9 AD. Thus every decade, century, and millennium begins with a 1 and ends with a 0. That’s why 2020 is the last year in the current decade and 2021 is the first year of the next decade.

Well the person who started this thread never said anything about "the 22nd decade of our current calander".  All I mentioned was the "last decade".  That began in 2010 and just ended.  If I had made this exact same post in 2015 I would have been talking about the period from '05-'14.  So save your nit-picking semantic argument for a thread where it applies because I have not seen anyone here mention "the 22nd decade of our current calander".  

People are free to define decades however they want, and no one says they are in their 30's when they are still 29 and no one says 1990 was part of the '80's.  You had a point 20 years ago when people were talking about the beginning of the 21st century, but you don't now. 
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2020, 02:50 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Well the person who started this thread never said anything about "the 22nd decade of our current calander".  All I mentioned was the "last decade".  That began in 2010 and just ended.  If I had made this exact same post in 2015 I would have been talking about the period from '05-'14.  So save your nit-picking semantic argument for a thread where it applies because I have not seen anyone here mention "the 22nd decade of our current calander".  

People are free to define decades however they want, and no one says they are in their 30's when they are still 29 and no one says 1990 was part of the '80's.  You had a point 20 years ago when people were talking about the beginning of the 21st century, but you don't now. 

The ironic thing is that I do believe you were one that argued this very point when we talked about the Bengal's decade of the 90s. Asserting the 2000 was actually part of the 90s decade.

WTS, poor taste on all parts to start a Symantec debate over your thread meant to simply be one folks folks to share their experiences.

As to me: The 10s were the first decade in my life that I lived in the same house all decade. Growing up I went to 8 different schools in 12 years. My dad was always getting transferred. Then as an adult I joined the military and 3-4 years is about as long as you stay anywhere. I retired from Active Duty in 2006 and settled in a community outside of FT Knox. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(01-05-2020, 01:54 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Well, the folks who came up with the calendar we use started with 1 AD

Andy is that old?  Whatever

Reply/Quote
5 Jobs
2 houses
2 wives
1 divorce
0 DUI's

Reply/Quote
(01-05-2020, 01:54 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Well, the folks who came up with the calendar we use started with 1 AD, not zero. So the first decade of the last millennium ended with 10 AD, not 9 AD. Thus every decade, century, and millennium begins with a 1 and ends with a 0. That’s why 2020 is the last year in the current decade and 2021 is the first year of the next decade.

This
Reply/Quote
The one big thing that has changed for me is I retired in 2018. I love it but miss my old crew something fierce. Still talk to most of them but it's not the same. Fishing, traveling & loafing now. Life goes by fast.
Reply/Quote
Not much here. My daughter graduated from OSU in 2018. My son doesn't graduate from high school until this year so that's out. Two cars. Same house. Same job.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(01-04-2020, 06:07 PM)Jason_NC Wrote: New decade?  Do you always stop at 9 when you count to 10?

Smirk

this brings me back to the class of 2000 vs class of 2001 as who was really the first class of the centry...     2001 i said as 2000 was the end of the last one.  

to answer the question... Was there a year 0 before 1 or did it just start 1 AD.

1 Job
Same Wife.
3 Living Locations ending in a House
Probly 4-5 Cars in that time... (none of them made within the last 15 years)
Reply/Quote
I picked my nose with my left hand in the new year and it felt like it was someone else doing it.
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote
Was a pretty good one for me.

Graduated college, moved overseas, changed careers, got married, decided to come back to US, changed careers, went back to school, bought a house, had a kid.

Looking forward to the next 10 years.
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2020, 04:36 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: I picked my nose with my left hand in the new year and it felt like it was someone else doing it.

Someone else's nose or someone else's finger?
Reply/Quote
Retired after 30 years in the USN
Married, but in the last month she and I have separated. Became a dad for the first time (step kids) Now losing them also
2 houses
2 cars
The decade started with a bang, but it has been a disaster this year. Losing my family, Olive (my Lab) just passed away in October.
Reply/Quote
From 00-10, I changed jobs once (started in 2001 with a company I was with till 2018).

From 2018-2019 I was with four different places, including starting my own business.

From 10-20, only one car change (bought a 2013 juke that I'm still driving and think a lot of).

Separated from my wife; got back together.

Visited a foreign country for the first time (Canada in 15ish and Spain in 2019).
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2020, 07:28 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Usually look back over the last year on Jan first, but this time I have looked back over the last decade.

From '00 to '09 I pretty much had one job and lived in one house.  From '10 through '19 I lived in three different cities and worked in three different locations.

My oldest child started school in '10.  She skipped a grade and is now a Junior making plans for college.

I owned three different cars over the last decade.  One for only a couple of years which is very rare for me.

I got divorced.

Pretty boring shit.  Anyone else have more dramatic changes over the last decade?

My grandson basically went from a first grade dropout to class valedictorian and already has several scholarship offers.. and the goofy looking kid has the prettiest GF in the state..(My opinion) .. 
Anyway, this is no longer a new decade. It became a used decade January 2nd..  Ninja
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote