Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Not panicking, but....
I mean, it all depends. Is Burrow 100%? Then start him. He's going to have to play eventually.

But if there's even a .1% chance he can benefit from more rehab time then I would sit him for as long as it takes. I'm hoping the Bengals can keep this guy for the next decade plus, so I'm not going to sweat having to start Brandon Allen for a few games.

As far as if the team starts 2-2, or 3-1, or even 4-0, with Brandon Allen, no I don't think I'd let that group continue to play together if Burrow is ready to go. 1.) Burrow would be livid if he's healthy scratch. 2.) Allen isn't very good. Whatever record they can go with him they're perfectly capable of matching that level of play with Burrow.
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2021, 10:44 AM)SadFaceBengal15 Wrote: I’d sit burrow all year if I had too.  We aren’t winning anything this year and the offensive line is still shit after a full offseason and a draft.  Clap for the front office on this

I hate that idea.  Make it another completely wasted year with this coaching staff.  This year is on the coaches 100% unless you start giving them outs like not having their starting QB all season because they decided not to play him.  

I think unless there is a physical reason Burrow can't start, he needs to be out there.  The game between his ears is going to require reps.  And getting hit and getting back up from it.  It's fine to have a mental health day or two during training.  It's fine to pump the breaks if his leg is causing him trouble.  But if he's scared or lacking the confidence he needs, I don't think anything is going to fix that other than playing.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Big no in both scenarios. Burrow needs to start game one if he is close to 100%. Right now the OL is backups and getting
beat up by the DL and it is getting in Burrow's head. It will pass once he gets the starters out there and then he will get it
down again. Tough Offseason for any QB but it will just make Joe tougher. Brandon Allen should be only used in emergency
or if we are up by multiple scores if Burrow is somewhat healthy which he already is.
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2021, 10:10 AM)Nately120 Wrote: When Ohio teams bench Burrow he starts thinking of Louisiana.  On a more serious note, we gotta just play the guy.  I don't think burrow is some robot who is immune to self doubt, but I dont think we should go above and beyond to insulate him, either.

My son's high school team played against Athens High School when Burrow was there.   Outside of the broken thumb he experienced while at Ohio State, I believe last years knee injury is the 1st major injury Burrow has faced.   That being the case, I'm sure there are multiple aspects Joe is dealing with mentally as he continues to recover.   He'll get there, may just take a little time.    I will say that it may be more beneficial to him to let him feel a bit more heat during practice/preseason to let him realize he can still take a hit.   

May not be a popular opinion, but sheltering him by keeping the D completely away from him may not be doing him any favors.  
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2021, 01:38 PM)jwalker3853 Wrote: My son's high school team played against Athens High School when Burrow was there.   Outside of the broken thumb he experienced while at Ohio State, I believe last years knee injury is the 1st major injury Burrow has faced.   That being the case, I'm sure there are multiple aspects Joe is dealing with mentally as he continues to recover.   He'll get there, may just take a little time.    I will say that it may be more beneficial to him to let him feel a bit more heat during practice/preseason to let him realize he can still take a hit.   

May not be a popular opinion, but sheltering him by keeping the D completely away from him may not be doing him any favors.  

Right, the thing too is that we are looking at this with a lot of outside quick takes and views mixed in.  The 1st overall pick, can't miss kid going to a franchise people are fond of frowning on getting injured in his first year is pretty newsworthy.  Keep in mind that Palmer was a starting QB for 13 years and had some very good seasons dispersed throughout, but it's common to hear people sum up his career as "Was a great prospect, played well, hurt his knee early, was never the same."

Hell, sometimes Bengals fans who supposedly lived through the post injury Palmer age have to be convinced he was good after his ACL tear.  It's easy to freak out as a fan right now regarding Burrow and the general NFL populace sharpening their knives doesn't help.  So it goes.
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2021, 01:50 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Right, the thing too is that we are looking at this with a lot of outside quick takes and views mixed in.  The 1st overall pick, can't miss kid going to a franchise people are fond of frowning on getting injured in his first year is pretty newsworthy.  Keep in mind that Palmer was a starting QB for 13 years and had some very good seasons dispersed throughout, but it's common to hear people sum up his career as "Was a great prospect, played well, hurt his knee early, was never the same."

Hell, sometimes Bengals fans who supposedly lived through the post injury Palmer age have to be convinced he was good after his ACL tear.  It's easy to freak out as a fan right now regarding Burrow and the general NFL populace sharpening their knives doesn't help.  So it goes.

Carson had a really good year following the injury, but then had a pretty rough 6 year stretch. He turned things around once he got to Arizona though. I think a lot of people remember the '07-'12 Palmer with the Bengals and Raiders...where he lost a lot of games and was very average statistically.
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2021, 09:56 AM)PDub80 Wrote: Here's a philosophical question....

If Brandon Allen plays very well or shows well in the preseason would you be okay with the Bengals sitting Joe at the start if the season while the O line gels?

To further the question... If you answer YES to the above: If the Bengals go at least 2-2 and looked competitive in the first 4 games with BA under center would you let that lineup play out to see where it went while Joe continues to gain confidence in practice and they continue to sort the line out?

If you were the coach (or Mike Brown).... what would you do in the 2 above scenarios?

if joe is 100% medically cleared to play  Joe Plays.  
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2021, 02:16 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Carson had a really good year following the injury, but then had a pretty rough 6 year stretch. He turned things around once he got to Arizona though. I think a lot of people remember the '07-'12 Palmer with the Bengals and Raiders...where he lost a lot of games and was very average statistically.

Well Carson came back in 06 and the team started to fall apart. lol...   Then we hired someone named Stacy Andrews as a Full time tackle and there went the elbow.
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2021, 10:01 AM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: We didn’t spend a #1 OA pick on a guy to bubble wrap him on the sideline. If he is full go, he’s gonna be out there.

That being said. If we are down 3 scores late in a game with no hope, put BA in there.

Right

If Burrow is 100% healthy he's gonna play. And like you say if it's 38-6 with 6 minutes to go there's no use in sending JB back out there.
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2021, 02:26 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Right

If Burrow is 100% healthy he's gonna play. And like you say if it's 38-6 with 6 minutes to go there's no use in sending JB back out there.

Im sure a Coach on the Hot seat will think differently.
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2021, 02:16 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Carson had a really good year following the injury, but then had a pretty rough 6 year stretch. He turned things around once he got to Arizona though. I think a lot of people remember the '07-'12 Palmer with the Bengals and Raiders...where he lost a lot of games and was very average statistically.

Right but my point is that his ups and downs don't coincide with his injuries.  Oddly two of his best years were 06 and 15 which followed acl tears derailing productive years in 05 and 14. 
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2021, 10:58 AM)fredtoast Wrote: "Not panicking"?

Really?

Wink

Yes, really. I was just pondering different scenarios around the O line and Burrow not playing in preseason and thought to ask what you guys would do if you were the coach.

It's an interesting topic to me. How would you handle things the way I laid them out?
Reply/Quote
Joe has been cleared to play, which means he has basically healed from surgery. Now he has to get 100% and most of that is just playing and learning to trust it again. But in Burrow's case, he needs to be able to trust the OL that got him killed last year to be able to have full confidence. I think Burrow is still Burrow and will have a great career, but right now in order to really be 100%, then he has to work through things that only reps and playing time will help him with. He said it himself. He needs to get out there ad take some hits to feel normal again and thats why he's lobbying Taylor for some preseason reps. I dont blame him. He know himself better than anyone and if thats what he needs to regain confidence in his knee, then so be it. Give it to him.

But really the best overall thing Taylor can do for Burrow is build a dominant run game and use it often. That would give Burrow a way easier route to get back to 100% and growing than what we did last year, throwing a zillion times per game would. This is a year to lean on Mixon more than any I can think of. If we can run and play good defense, then I think Burrow will thrive on it. If it looks like last year, I think it will take longer for Burrow to be totally 100% mentally.

So overall, you have to play him or he will never get over the hurtle.
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2021, 11:07 AM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: I mean, it all depends.  Is Burrow 100%?  Then start him.  He's going to have to play eventually.

But if there's even a .1% chance he can benefit from more rehab time then I would sit him for as long as it takes.  I'm hoping the Bengals can keep this guy for the next decade plus, so I'm not going to sweat having to start Brandon Allen for a few games.

As far as if the team starts 2-2, or 3-1, or even 4-0, with Brandon Allen, no I don't think I'd let that group continue to play together if Burrow is ready to go.  1.) Burrow would be livid if he's healthy scratch.  2.) Allen isn't very good.  Whatever record they can go with him they're perfectly capable of matching that level of play with Burrow.

if you have to sit burrow do you let taylor off the hook for early losses?  imo anything less than  a 2-2 start his time (taylor) should be over  as we have wasted enough time on him
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2021, 04:38 PM)PDub80 Wrote: Yes, really. I was just pondering different scenarios around the O line and Burrow not playing in preseason and thought to ask what you guys would do if you were the coach.

It's an interesting topic to me. How would you handle things the way I laid them out?

I realize you were responding to Fred but I'll jump in with my 2 cents.   :-)

If I'm the head coach, I'm playing Burrow during the preseason in a similar fashion as I am playing the rest of my starters.    Give them a series in the first preseason game, a series or two in the second preseason game and they are playing either a quarter of a half of the third preseason game depending on how well they perform.  

From a practice perspective, I'm not going to allow anyone to hit the quarterback but I am not going to set a perimeter around him the way the news has made it sound like Zac has done.   I'm going to let the rush come but not allow contact with the QB.   I believe you practice the way you play and putting Joe in a bubble really isnt' doing anyone any good - particularly Joe who needs to feel pressure or maybe take a shot or two and come out OK to realize he is going to be OK.    I'd rather have that done during practice then during a game.
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2021, 05:20 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: if you have to sit burrow do you let taylor off the hook for early losses?  imo anything less than  a 2-2 start his time (taylor) should be over  as we have wasted enough time on him

Nope.   No way.   You go with who you have.   While you may be playing at a disadvantage, you have to be able to effectively scheme to overcome that.   May not be able to win them all, but should be able to be competitive vs. becoming a shell of a team because one person is hurt.  
Reply/Quote
Joe Burrow is just playing mind games with the upcoming opponents...drawing them in for the kill, then unleashing fire on them..... Who Dey Who Dey Who Dey
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2021, 05:20 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: if you have to sit burrow do you let taylor off the hook for early losses?  imo anything less than  a 2-2 start his time (taylor) should be over  as we have wasted enough time on him

If he sits Burrow it is just another reason why he should be gone IMO.
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2021, 02:19 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: if joe is 100% medically cleared to play  Joe Plays.  

This
Reply/Quote
You ever been in a fender bender or any car accident? It takes like a month for you to feel comfortable to drive again without worry. Refusing to drive isn't gonna help your fear of driving. Only way is to get out and get it done. Only way for Burrow is to get out and get it done. He'll get hit and he'll be fine.
Reply/Quote