Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Not to discredit our drafting team
This draft the players where there for the picking. But they've shocked before. Just last year. Who had us going back to back tackles? And Ced was not top 32 on most boards. Do you really trust them to go too far off script?! You may end up with a Jerome Simpson in the 2nd. This year we drafted for need, so the writing was on the wall when it came to what picks would fit.

As far as the media, pundits have access to scouts on other teams (often at the same prodays) and tend to get an idea of who teams like, who's high on who etc. Not completely sold it's the media setting the board, and if they are many were scouts and probably aren't far off on the talent wise. Need and fit is what's hard to account for.

The Ravens have had some poor drafts recently, and they are paying a price for it. The Steelers on the other hand, seem to still be functional. Specifically with finding wide receivers. They've struggled to replace old heads in the secondary, and still need Harrison, but they have a better nucleus then the Ravens.

Cleveland might just need to go by Mayocks top 100.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(05-09-2016, 11:10 PM)jj22 Wrote:  Do you really trust them to go too far off script?! You may end up with a Jerome Simpson in the 2nd. 

Jerome Simpson was not that bad of a pick at all.  He was better than 2 of the 5 WRs taken before him and 5 of the other 9 WRs taken in the second round.

You guys really need to come up with e better example of the bengals missing on a high draft pick.  Devon Still was a MUCH worse pick than Simpson.

The only difference is that fans hated the Simpson pick and loved it when we took Still.
Reply/Quote
He was still a surprise pick. I honestly can't remember who was taken around him without looking it up.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(05-09-2016, 09:04 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: It was our own Bill Tobin, who was the Colts GM at the time.

For those who don't know the story, they drafted Marshall Faulk instead of Trent Dilfer, and Kiper said that's why they stunk.

Tobin fired back live with that gem.

I thought it was Trev Alberts, not Marshall Faulk. Either way, Dilfer sucked and the Colts wound up with Peyton later on.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2016, 08:31 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: And I will say that this is a bit of a devil's advocate position, because I love the way our team drafts, but I find it funny that we get "holy shit" reviews from the rest of the NFL for drafting players that those same commentators (Mel Kiper, Todd McShay, etc) had high on their boards.

For example, I was watching the draft on ESPN (don't have NFL Network or I would not be watching it on ESPN) and it seemed like, for each of our picks, we selected one of the top 5 guys in Mel Kiper's "Best Available players" that kept scrolling on the bottom.

It happened for Tyler Boyd, Andrew Billings, Christian Westerman and maybe even William Jackson III.

Hell, Andrew Billings was on Mel's best available board for like 2 and a half rounds by that point.

I loved the draft and I look forward to seeing how the other picks, such as Nick Vigil and Cody Core, work out. But if our best picks were just us picking what the media pundits had coined as the best players at the time of our pick.....couldn't you or I theoretically draft just as well as the Bengals?

Nah, i don't think Tobin and the FO looks at what the pundits are thinking, they keep to their board and did so very well.

Sure, we might of been a bit lucky with the way Billings and Westerman fell but that does not take away from their process.
Reply/Quote
(05-10-2016, 01:28 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I thought it was Trev Alberts, not Marshall Faulk. Either way, Dilfer sucked and the Colts wound up with Peyton later on.

It was Alberts. It was their second 1st round pick that he was freaking out about. I remember Faulk didn't want to be drafted by us.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(05-10-2016, 04:24 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: It was Alberts. It was their second 1st round pick that he was freaking out about. I remember Faulk didn't want to be drafted by us.

I remember when Tyrone Wheatley came out before the draft and said he wouldn't play for the Bengals if drafted by them. That could've been a reason why we traded up for Ki-Jana in '95. 

Man, imagine those Blake/Pickens teams with Marshall Faulk. They probably would've made the playoffs a couple times and avoided drafting guys like Ki-Jana, Akili Smith, etc. Heck, our last 20 years would look completely different.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(05-11-2016, 09:24 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I remember when Tyrone Wheatley came out before the draft and said he wouldn't play for the Bengals if drafted by them. That could've been a reason why we traded up for Ki-Jana in '95. 

Man, imagine those Blake/Pickens teams with Marshall Faulk. They probably would've made the playoffs a couple times and avoided drafting guys like Ki-Jana, Akili Smith, etc. Heck, our last 20 years would look completely different.

The biggest "what if" will always be the Akili Smith/Saints trade. I know Washington didn't do much with the bounty they got from New Orleans, but I always wonder what we would've done with those picks.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
Reply/Quote
(05-11-2016, 04:02 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: The biggest "what if" will always be the Akili Smith/Saints trade. I know Washington didn't do much with the bounty they got from New Orleans, but I always wonder what we would've done with those picks.

Didn't the Skins get the Saints entire draft + another 1st rounder?  Yeah that probably could've changed our fortunes pretty quickly. 

As for Ricky Williams, he actually could've been worth that bounty if he'd had his head on straight. It's pretty amazing that he had 12,000 yards in his career despite missing 3 entire seasons due to retirement, drug use and injury.
Reply/Quote
(05-11-2016, 04:25 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Didn't the Skins get the Saints entire draft + another 1st rounder?  Yeah that probably could've changed our fortunes pretty quickly. 

As for Ricky Williams, he actually could've been worth that bounty if he'd had his head on straight. It's pretty amazing that he had 12,000 yards in his career despite missing 3 entire seasons due to retirement, drug use and injury.

Entire draft, 2000 1st round, and 2000 3rd round.

Here's a breakdown of how everything played out.

http://www.canalstreetchronicles.com/2014/4/17/5623840/nfl-draft-saints-ricky-williams-mike-ditka-trade
Reply/Quote