Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Notes On The Steelers In Relation To Us
It's never too early to start thinking about the Steelers, so figured I'd make some notes on how they looked in relation to how we'll play them while it's relatively fresh in my mind.

1.) Their pass protection looked horrible. Pats only rushed four most of the game and still seemed to get pressure. Atkins should kill their line on his own, but MJ, Dunlap, and company should cause them a lot of problems. I wouldn't even be opposed to bringing a 5th guy just to make sure that we can bring Ben down.

2.) Pats corners are garbage, so Brown had his way, but we need to get pressure on Ben, double Brown, and not let him get open, especially not deep, which pressure on Ben should help prevent that.

3.) We need Eifert and Kroft on the field at the same time and we need to go there way a lot. Steelers looked horrible covering the Pats' tight ends up the seams (and even out wide).

4.) We need to give Hill the ball early and often. Lewis was a shifty runner and dominated, so I think that Hill's downhill style dominates even more.

5.) Need to hit Hill out of the backfield in the passing game and even Gio if we use him on passing downs. They seemed to struggle there.

6.) Steelers run game looked solid, we need to sell-out to stop Bell, who will be even better than Williams. Attack on our opening drives and make them count, forcing them to play from behind and not being able to run the ball because we'll control the clock with Hill is very important. I don't want to try and go blow-for-blow with them and win that way because their offense looks like they'll be too good. Attack early and then grind them out (but don't be so predictable that it's Hill on a dive every play).

7.) Need to limit turnovers, especially fumbles. When Hill gets to the second level, he needs to wrap up because Mike Mitchell, who's a punk, seems to love stripping the ball and seems pretty good at it.

I'm sure I'll think of more and I might even re-watch the game just to re-fresh my memory, but does anyone have any other notes?
Reply/Quote
Yes, here are my notes.

Focus on OAK. THE END.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2015, 06:35 PM)CornerBlitz Wrote: Yes, here are my notes.

Focus on OAK. THE END.

You left out that the team that we face in week 8 will not be the same team which played week 1.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Focus on OAK. THE END.
Team needs to focus on Oakland, but makes no difference if us fans just start talking about how a divisional opponent, that we'll obviously play twice and that will play a big factor in our playoff hopes, looks and how we'll match-up against them.
(09-12-2015, 06:38 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: You left out that the team that we face in week 8 will not be the same team which played week 1.

But it will be a lot of the same and doubtful that there will be too many major changes.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2015, 07:11 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Team needs to focus on Oakland, but makes no difference if us fans just start talking about how a divisional opponent, that we'll obviously play twice and that will play a big factor in our playoff hopes, looks and how we'll match-up against them.

But it will be a lot of the same and doubtful that there will be too many major changes.
Except the young players will have 7 weeks of game action to get better.  There will be less communication errors and players will be more settled into their new scheme.

And the biggest difference, they will have Bell and Bryant back in the lineup on offense, hence my original statement.  It will not be the same team.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2015, 07:20 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: Except the young players will have 7 weeks of game action to get better.  There will be less communication errors and players will be more settled into their new scheme.

And the biggest difference, they will have Bell and Bryant back in the lineup on offense, hence my original statement.  It will not be the same team.

They won't impact the defense.

Also, Williams looked pretty dang good filling in for Bell, so not like it's going to be a huge change.

Even the receivers were decent with Bryant gone.

Not many young players on defense and most of them have one or two years experience, which is generally enough in Pittsburgh.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2015, 07:39 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: They won't impact the defense.

Also, Williams looked pretty dang good filling in for Bell, so not like it's going to be a huge change.

Not many young players on defense and most of them have one or two years experience, which is generally enough in Pittsburgh.

See the first comment in my last post.  There are plenty of young, new players.  Shazier and Dupree, for example.  But they are ALL in a new system which they are adapting to.  As you watched the first game, you should have noticed that there were a lot of issues with the players communicating with one another and getting properly line up.  That is typical in week one of a young defense.  It is not typical in week 8.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2015, 07:39 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: They won't impact the defense.

They absolutely will, by the way.  Their WR coach has said that Bell is the second best route runner on the team.  He is a legit dual threat. 

Bryant scored 8 TDs last year.

They will be able to move the ball better and put up more points.  That will 100% impact the defense.  It will take pressure off of them and allow them to pin their ears back and rush the passer.
Reply/Quote

Focus on OAK. THE END.

Believe it or not, what fans talk about has nothing to do with how the team performs.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2015, 08:09 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: They absolutely will, by the way.  Their WR coach has said that Bell is the second best route runner on the team.  He is a legit dual threat. 

Bryant scored 8 TDs last year.

They will be able to move the ball better and put up more points.  That will 100% impact the defense.  It will take pressure off of them and allow them to pin their ears back and rush the passer.

This says it all.

Thinking a week 1 team will look the same as a week 8 team is not even close. And having seen what Bryant did last year and preseason this year, he is the real deal and will greatly impact the games when he returns.
[Image: Sig.jpg]
Reply/Quote
I hate the Squeelers but they played very well rough venue and w/o 2 very integral players.

They look dang good.

Let's not be homers.

We will have our work cut out for us for sure.

(09-12-2015, 09:16 PM)Night Wrote: This says it all.

Thinking a week 1 team will look the same as a week 8 team is not even close. And having seen what Bryant did last year and preseason this year,  he is the real deal and will greatly impact the games when he returns.
Reply/Quote
The problem with this evaluation is that you're comparing the Steelers(a team known for stretches of sloppy play) to the Patriots(who are in midseason form by week one of two). It's way too early to put a fork in the Steelers after losing a single game by 7 points.
Reply/Quote