Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Notes from the Third and Final Day of MiniCamp
The team finished up the third and final day of minicamp yesterday and then have a little over a month before training camp begins.

CincyJungle makes it sound like it was a productive final day:

It says that William Jackson III is batting down passes and even Jackson noted that, a week ago, he was just learning the concepts but now it's all starting to come naturally. I know that we're deep at corner, and we don't normally play rookies too much, but I'm hoping that this kid sees a fair amount of PT early because he's a playmaker. He knows that he's developing quickly and will gain confidence, which is important in a corner, and he sounds like he's ready to be on the field ASAP:

Quote:"A week ago just learning the concept, I'm getting the high/low (responsibility) and things like that, and it's just starting to come to me," Jackson said via Skinner.

Of course, all rookies as that they're ready, but him acknowledging about learning concepts and picking it all up makes it seem like he's mature enough to see the field and like he knows what he's doing.

Jackson is a taller guy with longer arms, so I think he's going to be one of the exceptions to the rule of normal shorter corners is, just like Richard Sherman is an exception, especially since he was so productive in college:

Quote:This past season, Jackson led the NCAA and set a school record for pass breakups in 2015 with 23. His 31 3/4" arms and 6'0" height allow him to knock down passes easier than most, and he's already translating it to the NFL level.

"It's going to help me a lot, because I've got long arms, and I can kind of slow them down," Jackson said. "You just had to use your feet and your body (in OTA and minicamp). It was good."

He realizes that it gives him an advantage and he knows how to use it ThumbsUp

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It doesn't sound like Eifert will be ready to go before the season starts and could even miss the opener, but I'm actually anxious to see Uzomah and Kroft on the field at the same time because I think they could make some noise. If they do, which I think they will, one of the two could be nice trade bait.

Quote:However, Bengals reporter Coley Harvey was on Mike Clay’s fantasy football show on SiriusXM Radio Thursday and said he did not expect Eifert to play in Week 1. It continues to look like that will be the case, and the real question will be if he misses just one game or more.

If Eifert is unable to even run routes with Andy Dalton once the preseason opens, it's going to be hard for them to keep as in-sync as they were last year when both guys were having Pro Bowl seasons. It also means players like Tyler Kroft and C.J. Uzomah must step up to keep the team rolling.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Then it just notes that Wright could make the team and be a top four receiver after missing all of last year when he looked good in 2014 preseason, but it also notes that he could just as well get cut.

Finishes up by saying that offensive tackles Cedric Ogbuehi and Jake Fisher, cornerback Darqueze Dennard and fullback Ryan Hewitt are expected to be back by training camp, which I'm excited for Dennard because I love DBs and he has a lot of potential, and I'm also anxious to have my insecurities about the future tackles put to ease.

I'm loving that football's back!
Reply/Quote
(06-17-2016, 09:42 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: It doesn't sound like Eifert will be ready to go before the season starts and could even miss the opener, but I'm actually anxious to see Uzomah and Kroft on the field at the same time because I think they could make some noise.  If they do, which I think they will, one of the two could be nice trade bait.

Aren't our 2nd and 3rd TE's both primarily blockers?  I don't think we'll be a disaster without Eifert for a bit, but I don't expect to see Kroft and Uzoham abandoning their blocking assignments to go running up the seams and pretend nothing will change without Eifert, or anything.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-18-2016, 04:47 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Aren't our 2nd and 3rd TE's both primarily blockers?  I don't think we'll be a disaster without Eifert for a bit, but I don't expect to see Kroft and Uzoham abandoning their blocking assignments to go running up the seams and pretend nothing will change without Eifert, or anything.

From everything I remember Uzomah was thought of as a pass catching TE and struggled with blocking.

As for Kroft I seem to remember him as being balanced, but yea probably seen as a better blocker than pass catcher. 

Also if Eifert is out I could see Hewitt being used more as the pass catching TE but I would rather see what these two could do as the #1 TE.
Reply/Quote
(06-18-2016, 04:47 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Aren't our 2nd and 3rd TE's both primarily blockers?  I don't think we'll be a disaster without Eifert for a bit, but I don't expect to see Kroft and Uzoham abandoning their blocking assignments to go running up the seams and pretend nothing will change without Eifert, or anything.

Uzomah wasn't used much as a receiving tight end in college, but he definitely has the skill and can be a great, untapped asset.  He has all the talent to be a good receiving tight end.

Kroft is a natural receiver and more of a receiver than a blocker.

His production slipped and he fell in the draft because his quarterback played got a lot worse from his sophomore to junior season, so his production dropped, so teams overlooked him.
Reply/Quote
Great.. eifert is prolly out week 1, and possibly more. Our luck he will be out 6 weeks. I'm all for hoping kroft uzomah play good but eifert is the key to this offense.

When he is healthy, he is as much of a game changer as gronk, look at how brady fairs without gronk.

I do think we see alot of wj3 this year, guy is going to be a huge addition to that secondary.
Reply/Quote
(06-18-2016, 08:19 PM)The Burfict Answer Wrote: Great.. eifert is prolly out week 1, and possibly more. Our luck he will be out 6 weeks. I'm all for hoping kroft  uzomah play good  but eifert is the key to this offense.

Yup, no one knows for sure. I expect them to plan accordingly. I wouldn't be surprised if we throw more than usual to our 3rd/4th receivers. Hoping it's Boyd/Kumerow

Reply/Quote
Can William Jackson III play TE?

Maybe Jake Fisher opens the season at TE.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
Kroft is going to have a monster game week one against the Jets. He wants to show off in front of his home state.

And then he will do it against the Giants on the Monday night game two months later.
Reply/Quote

Both can catch.

They just are not the route runners that Eifert is, nor the athletes.

But i don't think there are many that are in the NFL...

To the OP, i love the WJ3 pick more and more. Sure, he will have to adjust to the NFL level but he has all the talent
in the world. He could be a great corner in the NFL with his fluid hips, length and ability to adjust to the ball in the air.

It might be a blessing in disguise with Eifert's injury. I don't think we would of seen Uzomah otherwise. Nice to get
these young guys some first team snaps. Kroft has already shown he is a good backup, he could be a great one.
Reply/Quote
(06-19-2016, 03:24 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Both can catch.

To the OP, i love the WJ3 pick more and more. Sure, he will have to adjust to the NFL level but he has all the talent
in the world. He could be a great corner in the NFL with his fluid hips, length and ability to adjust to the ball in the air.

It might be a blessing in disguise with Eifert's injury. I don't think we would of seen Uzomah otherwise. Nice to get
these young guys some first team snaps. Kroft has already shown he is a good backup, he could be a great one.

I get the narrative, but losing the TE who lead all TEs in TDs last year is not a blessing. I seem to recall a lot of similar talk when Green was going to be out against the Colts. That sure worked wonderfully.
[Image: 85d8232ebbf088d606250ddec1641e7b.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(06-18-2016, 08:18 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Uzomah wasn't used much as a receiving tight end in college, but he definitely has the skill and can be a great, untapped asset.  He has all the talent to be a good receiving tight end.

Kroft is a natural receiver and more of a receiver than a blocker.

His production slipped and he fell in the draft because his quarterback played got a lot worse from his sophomore to junior season, so his production dropped, so teams overlooked him.

Kroft had a very productive year his junior year. His numbers dropped his senior season, because Rutgers' offense underwent a radically run-first revamp. It made him a better blocker, I'm sure, but he does have significant pass-catching abilities.
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
Young men will always sacrifice their bodies for that moment of glory. Play with a messed up foot? You betcha! I have to wonder how these guys ever get out of bed in the morning after football is over for them. I'm 57 now and some days can feel every injury I've ever had.. Heck, under the right lighting I can see them all..
I hope Eifert's good to go, but if not someone else will.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(06-19-2016, 03:24 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Both can catch.

don't forget Hewitt can play TE roll as well.
Reply/Quote
(06-20-2016, 03:42 AM)Aquapod770 Wrote: I get the narrative, but losing the TE who lead all TEs in TDs last year is not a blessing. I seem to recall a lot of similar talk when Green was going to be out against the Colts. That sure worked wonderfully.

Yeah, I also recall going into that game that some were spinning it positive that losing Green would lead to Dalton spreading the ball around more and that would lead to success.  That disappeared pretty quickly and the narrative that we had our waterboy as our #1 WR took its place.  Ahh, memories.

Oh well, I'm sure if Antonio Brown were injured we'd all be worried about how much better the Steelers were going to get because the guys behind him were going to step-up, right?
Reply/Quote
(06-20-2016, 03:42 AM)Aquapod770 Wrote: I get the narrative, but losing the TE who lead all TEs in TDs last year is not a blessing. I seem to recall a lot of similar talk when Green was going to be out against the Colts. That sure worked wonderfully.

its okay for Training camp with the young guys getting a chance to get more reps and insync with the qB...  bad for regular season when his TDs are needed.     Hopefully he be ready before too long. 

I would say Hewitt / Kroft open at TE if Eifert not ready to go.
Reply/Quote

I am just saying maybe it is not as bad as some think for Kroft and Uzumah to get first team snaps in the
Preseason and early in the regular season. I definately was not one of those that said that about Green
against the Colts though.

That was completely different IMHO.

(06-20-2016, 10:28 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: don't forget Hewitt can play TE roll as well.

True.

(06-20-2016, 10:45 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Yeah, I also recall going into that game that some were spinning it positive that losing Green would lead to Dalton spreading the ball around more and that would lead to success.  That disappeared pretty quickly and the narrative that we had our waterboy as our #1 WR took its place.  Ahh, memories.

Oh well, I'm sure if Antonio Brown were injured we'd all be worried about how much better the Steelers were going to get because the guys behind him were going to step-up, right?

Eh, come on man. Don't paint me in that picture. Mellow
Reply/Quote