Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Now, ANOTHER reporter predicts Bengals to sign Bates
(02-15-2023, 02:13 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Field Yates has been with ESPN for many years.  MSN is just who posted this particular story.

Interesting... And while im sure the Bengals would like bates to return.. .Bates probly values himself higher than hes worth.

I dont think the budget is there for what the bengals need to do and what he wants.

still never heard of Yates but i stopped paying attention to ESPN long time ago.
Reply/Quote
Not happening.
Reply/Quote
I think they still let him walk
Reply/Quote
If they have money for Bates and Mixon, they have money to pay Higgins. Or pay at RT. Bengals need to make smart moves and signing a FS to a big contract, when we need OL help, isn’t the wisest.
Reply/Quote
For me, it depends on what he wants. IF he wants paid as a Top 3 safety...we can't do it. The top guys disrupt a game way more than Bates does.

If he wants a more reasonable contract, then you MAY be able to do it. But, you're going to lose players somewhere else.
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2023, 01:21 PM)Trademark Wrote: Why not keep all 3? You could use Dax as more of a hybrid safety/CB. Burrow is obviously cool with Bates and Chase knows Burrow better than anyone so if Burrow signs a team friendly deal they'll hopefully keep the whole band together.

(02-15-2023, 01:53 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I could see the Bengals doing exactly that, for at least this next season.  By my reckoning, Dax Hill is a fine prospect.  He is a strong tackler with great reaction twitch.  His coverage, particularly on boundary, could use another year of development.  The benefit of having such a deep Safety room, is that it allows the team to save a little cap on CB, generally a more expensive position group.

Are you guys serious?

Paying all 3 doesn't make any sense to me at all.  Hill is a #1 pick, he needs to play.  I would love to see him at SS with Bates at FS but I doubt that happens.

Reply/Quote
Maybe Yates said this behind the ESPN paywall? His last tweet regarding Bates was 6 months ago.

Reply/Quote
(02-15-2023, 06:24 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Maybe Yates said this behind the ESPN paywall?  His last tweet regarding Bates was 6 months ago.

I dunno, the article posted was published at 8am today.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2023, 06:27 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I dunno, the article posted was published at 8am today.

I dont see any of the quotes anywhere else but with Russ.  Not sure Im trusting this guy, few Twitter followers and posting on FanNation???

[Image: Screen-Shot-2023-02-15-at-4-30-55-PM.png]

Reply/Quote
Regardless of what Field Yates says, I still doubt he re-signs here. Maybe if he tests the FA market and it proves colder on him than he thought? I might see it. But as things stand, nothing has changed from when he wanted a contract that the Bengals didn’t want to give. If anything has changed, it’s that we’ve drafted his replacement and have begun to move on. I just don’t see how they come together and make it happen.
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

Reply/Quote
Not a ***** prayer does he stay.

If we want to extend the big 3 in the next couple of years we can’t afford to pay Bates and Bell too.

Should a miracle happen though you let Eli walk out Dax at corner and keep Bell and Bates where they are, draft another pass rusher and that’s a lights out defence.

Still, no chance.
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2023, 07:30 PM)BengalsLUFC Wrote: Not a ***** prayer does he stay.

If we want to extend the big 3 in the next couple of years we can’t afford to pay Bates and Bell too.

Should a miracle happen though you let Eli walk out Dax at corner and keep Bell and Bates where they are, draft another pass rusher and that’s a lights out defence.

Still, no chance.

Dax is not CB, he showed that this season. 

IMO, our best defense moving forward is bates and Dax.  Our most likely defense is Bell and Dax.

I'd be shocked if this was true, I sent out a couple texts to people that are around Jessie to see if they have heard this, no affirmative replies as of yet.

Reply/Quote
(02-15-2023, 07:35 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Dax is not CB, he showed that this season. 

IMO, our best defense moving forward is bates and Dax.  Our most likely defense is Bell and Dax.

I'd be shocked if this was true, I sent out a couple texts to people that are around Jessie to see if they have heard this, no affirmative replies as of yet.

It was a very small sample size I think a run of games at CB and he would be just fine.

We don’t know how Chido is going to come back an injury like that can cause players to lose half a yard of pace.

You have to do something with Hill if a miracle happens and Bell & Bates both re-sign you can’t just afford to let your 1st round pick play ST and CTB has the other side locked up.

I mean does Eli come back too?

It’s an exciting thought to have Bates back but he’s a luxury I’m not sure we can afford.
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2023, 07:49 PM)BengalsLUFC Wrote: It was a very small sample size I think a run of games at CB and he would be just fine.

We don’t know how Chido is going to come back an injury like that can cause players to lose half a yard of pace.

You have to do something with Hill if a miracle happens and Bell & Bates both re-sign you can’t just afford to let your 1st round pick play ST and CTB has the other side locked up.

I mean does Eli come back too?

It’s an exciting thought to have Bates back but he’s a luxury I’m not sure we can afford.

It is the NFL, you want CBs playing CB.  I doubt very seriously we would even consider signing Bates and Bell.  We have a 1st Round safety needing his turn.

It would be awesome if we could get Apple cheap again or another vet. We still should draft a CB if possible.

Reply/Quote
I’d let him test the market, offer him a competitive offer (top 10 money) with some nice incentives and bonuses but if someone offers him a Brink’s truck, I’m not matching. Just too expensive with all these other extensions looming and other areas of need. Burrow > Higgins > Wilson > Bates / Bell. With Lou staying, its time we start spending on the offense and let these defensive coaches develop what we have NOW and who we draft this year. Rookie contracts are valuable no matter which side of the ball they play on, and we’ve spent a ton to get Lou’s defense up to par the past couple seasons.
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2023, 09:14 PM)The D.O.Z. Wrote: I’d let him test the market, offer him a competitive offer (top 10 money) with some nice incentives and bonuses but if someone offers him a Brink’s truck, I’m not matching. Just too expensive with all these other extensions looming and other areas of need. Burrow > Higgins > Wilson > Bates / Bell. With Lou staying, its time we start spending on the offense and let these defensive coaches develop what we have NOW and who we draft this year. Rookie contracts are valuable no matter which side of the ball they play on, and we’ve spent a ton to get Lou’s defense up to par the past couple seasons.

Good post. 

We need a plug-n-play RT (Wright).
We need more explosion on offense in the backfield and at WR, these pickups should also be threats in the return game.
We need depth at guard.

As to defense, if a fantastic NT like Mazi Smith is there, a dynamic edge rusher - take these guys.  
Sign vets for depth in the secondary draft later if necessary.

Great offense beats great defense every time in this day and age. Just my opinion.

Reply/Quote
Was very high on Dax after the draft and feel he did not quite live up to my expectations this season and hoping for a big bounce back next year.

Yet still do not see Bates re-signed unless its a one or two year team friendly deal, which I do not believe he would even accept.

It's all about the money at this point

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2023, 09:59 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Was very high on Dax after the draft and feel he did not quite live up to my expectations this season and hoping for a big bounce back next year.

Yet still do not see Bates re-signed unless its a one or two year team friendly deal, which I do not believe he would even accept.

It's all about the money at this point

I really wish Dax would have gotten some time at FS this season.  Lou simply does not substitute for anything but injury. 

Dax may be the worst 1st Round Punt Team Gunner in NFL history.

Reply/Quote
This was decided when we used a 1st round pick on a FS because Bates' head got inflated by his agent and national media telling him he was top 3 safety last year.
Reply/Quote
Even though I do not see the Bengals re-signing Bates, also don't see his play this season warranting as big of contract that he wants. Should still be stout but believe it has dropped some.

It's one of the reasons I don't like tagging players that most likely can't be signed later anyway. It's only a rental where the player plays to not get hurt and it totally screws the player over on a contract if they do get hurt or have a down year.

Thinking Bates was worth more on the market last year than after this season. He was good to us over the years and felt we should have let him get his mula if we had no intentions of signing him.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote