Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Now that we know the order the players went in, who would you pick in a redraft?
I stayed away from players we already picked, but you don't have to. My re-draft:

1. Jonathan Allen DE/DT -- I don't care if he is just rotational with Geno Atkins at first. Great talent pays off.

2. Ethan Pocic C -- Arguably a bit of a reach though Seattle took him shortly after we picked. The other option might've been to investigate trading up with Green Bay by spending a 4th and 6th (rough math) - we would still have comp picks in those rounds. Doing this would allow us to get Cam Robinson or Forrest Lamp. That said, taking Pocic means immediate competition for Bodine. Maybe Bodine keeps his position this year, but he will have to continue improving to get a contract renewal.

3. Daeshon Hall DE -- Jordan Willis is an alright pick here too, so I might've actually stuck with him if someone tried to persuade me. Hall also fits the mold of tall DE that we look for.  

4a. Julién Davenport LT - Maybe he just ends up being a backup to Cedric Ogbuehi and that's fine. But you can put them in a competition every year and see who is better. And there is nothing wrong with having a great backup at that position -- for injuries if nothing else.

4b. Jehu Chesson WR - I like his story (from Liberia originally) and the way he can make contested catches. I'd have him as AJ's true back up, though he can play all 3 WR spots. He did have an off 2016 year but to me that just means he's a great value in the draft -- we know what he is really capable of.

5a. Anthony Walker Jr. ILB - I realize we have Vinnie Rey and Kevin Minter at this position, but Rey is 29 and there is nothing wrong with getting younger inside. Could end up on the practice squad -- he would need some work before seeing much playtime. That said, he's a big dude who plays a physical game. There would be a definite opportunity for rotational usage even early on.  

5b. T. J. Logan RB/KR -- Speedy backup to Gio who has 4.37 time. Can also be placed back to return kicks alongside Alex Erickson.

6a. Jeremy Clark CB/PR -- Tall speedy guy who is a bit of a risky prospect due to coming off an ACL injury. Worth putting in to defend hail mary plays. Also has potential to challenge for a role as gunner or jammer on special teams.

6b. Zane Gonzalez K -- It may turn out that Jake is better (he made more 50 yarders in college) so hey, what do I know, but I still am going with who I wanted before I knew who Jake was.  

7a. Josh Carraway OLB -- Great athleticism and good value at this point in the draft. Can pass rush. Has an upbeat attitude. Needs some polish but rotational value as a weak side guy means he could make the team.

7b. Fred Ross WR/PR -- Had 10 of his 37 punt returns go for 15 or more yards.

Undrafted:

Tion Green RB/ST Coverage -- Basically a Cedric Peerman backup.
KD Cannon WR -- Speedy dude who is mediocre at catching. Essentially Torrey Smith.

Weaknesses: Less emphasis on skill positions. No TE heir to Tyler Eiffert who may demand more than the Bengals will pay. May have only gotten the 2nd best Kicker available.

Strengths: Addressed major needs everywhere. Offensive line was the biggest concern and now there is a strong backup plan if the starters Ced O and Russell B don't perform as hoped. Special Teams got some options which could allow us to improve in that respect. Defensive front 7 got 4 players in a strong draft, giving depth everywhere and possible improvement for pass rush. Draft class without any serious character marks against them. Kicker was the difference between winning and losing several games last year and we addressed that without overspending. Well balanced draft that will allow Bengals to field a winning team very quickly if not immediately.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote