Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Now the true test begins
The Bengals have a tough schedule but so do others vying for Wildcard spots assuming Bills win division

Jets ..............Bills, Dolphins, Seahawks, Vikings

Dolphins........49ers, Chargers, Bills, Jets, NE

NE.................Vikings, Bills (twice), Bengals, Dolphins

Chargers....... Dolphins and Titans, but their average teams could get up Az, Raiders, Colts, Rams, Broncos.

No way do I see NE still being in th playoff picture after that gauntlet and fortunately the Bengals have tie breakers on Miami and the Jets.

Definitely see the Chargers being in the picture though, but the Bengals currently have a 1 game lead on them which helps.

Should be a fun race to watch
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2022, 02:12 PM)QueenCity Wrote: 3 more wins minimum for a chance at a WC slot... but realistically you need 4 more wins.

Best chances
Titans, Browns, Tampa, @ I think Ravens lock up the division and they rest their starters vs. us in week 17.

While I'd like to win the division, there's something to be said for letting the Ravens win it and going in as a Wild Card, and that's that the Ravens then have to play the tougher schedule next year. 
Reply/Quote
The Ravens should hold on but they do have 4 division games left playing Browns, Bengals, and steelers twice. Plus AFCN games are never easy.

Unfortunately still see them winning division though.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2022, 02:20 PM)BigStripedCat Wrote: I generally think this is a valid point to bring up. I have a A question and two observations:

Observation 1:
PIT defense is undeniably much, much better with TJ Watt in the lineup. Having missed all but three games this season, I think they are perhaps ranked significantly differently if he's healthy all year.

Observation 2:
Same as my first point, but with Jamarr Chase and the Bengals offense. 3 out of the 5 games you mentioned were lacking the Chase factor - he is a game breaker, no bones about it. Getting him back is adding to an offense that has already been putting up 30+ points of late and hitting their stride.

Question: Are these current rankings, or the rankings going into when we played them? That can make a difference (perhaps marginal), especially when we absolutely blow them out as in the case of Atlanta or Carolina.

These are the current rankings.
I'm not about to go try to search the depths of pro-football-focus or some other site to find the week-by-week rankings.

And in my opinion, I don't think it matters as much when the Bengals play a team, it matters more where they end up. For example, should it matter if a team was ranked 5th after just 2 weeks, only to find out they actually end up 21st by season's end? Perhaps 5th early on was just too pre-emptive and not indicative how good they really are. 10 games in should be a much better indicator of a team this season compared to Week 2-4.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(11-21-2022, 02:24 PM)Sled21 Wrote: While I'd like to win the division, there's something to be said for letting the Ravens win it and going in as a Wild Card, and that's that the Ravens then have to play the tougher schedule next year. 

Something that I never thought I'd ever hear.

And who knows about the tougher schedule. I believe it's two or three games and the strength of the opponent can change dramatically from year to year. Imagine getting the Eagles, Jets, Miami, Giants this year as part of a "easier" schedule or getting the Packers as part of a tougher schedule.
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2022, 02:20 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: My 2cents is they need 5 wins out of those 7 games to insure playoffs. Yes they might get in with 10 wins but, the entire AFC east is still in the hunt. You can't write the Chargers off yet either.

They really need all the AFC wins they can get, they really, really need to beat Cleveland next time. 

The Ravens most likely will win the division. Mostly cake schedule rest of the way but I still feel they're not that great. The last game of the year could be for all the marbles but that's a bit of a long shot considering.

Remaining schedules of AFC teams that are 5-5 or better excluding Titans, Chiefs, Ravens:

Jets (6-4):
Bears
Vikings
Bills
Lions
Jags
Seahawks
Dolphins

Dolphins (7-3):
Texans
49ers
Chargers
Bills
Packers
Patriots
Jets

Bills (7-3):
Lions
Patriots
Jets
Dolphins
Bears
Bengals
Patriots

Patriots (6-4):
Vikings
Bills
Cardinals
Raiders
Bengals
Dolphins
Bills

Chargers (5-5):
Cardinals
Raiders
Dolphins
Titans
Colts
Rams
Broncos

My predictions:
Dolphins - 12 wins
Bills - 11 wins
Chargers - 10 wins
Patriots - 9 wins
Jets - 9 wins

Patriots I could see getting an extra win against the division though, pushing them to 10 wins and MIA or BUF dropping down by 1 above.
If 3 wildcard teams have 10+ wins, it could mean the Bengals don't make it into the playoffs even if they get to 10 wins, depending on tiebreaker.
I do think it's possible the Bengals get into playoffs with 9 wins, but it will 100% come down to tiebreakers and need to have that AFC East battle fall in the Bengals' favor.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Can't see this happening... the Patriots are garbage.  They have two games left vs. Buffalo and vs. the Bengals.

In a realistic world they lose all 3 of those games.  That's without mentioning the other teams.
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2022, 02:52 PM)QueenCity Wrote: Can't see this happening... the Patriots are garbage.  They have two games left vs. Buffalo and vs. the Bengals.

In a realistic world they lose all 3 of those games.  That's without mentioning the other teams.

The CIN @ NE game might be a very impactful game that determines whether the Bengals or Patriots make the playoffs over the other.
Playing in NE in late December is very difficult for visiting teams.
Also, Patriots beat the Bills once last year, and the Jets just beat the Bills already this year.
It can't be slotted that the Bills will sweep NE.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(11-21-2022, 02:56 PM)ochocincos Wrote: The CIN @ NE game might be a very impactful game that determines whether the Bengals or Patriots make the playoffs over the other.

Bengals just put up 30+ in likely similar weather vs. Pats in December.  Is their pass rush good? Seems like that type of Defense is our kryptonite.

I don't see Mac Jones putting up enough points to win.

Pats will be a must win IMO
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2022, 02:59 PM)QueenCity Wrote: Bengals just put up 30+ in likely similar weather vs. Pats in December.  Is their pass rush good? Seems like that type of Defense is our kryptonite.

I don't see Mac Jones putting up enough points to win.

Pats will be a must win IMO

Temperature-wise, maybe.
But especially in the northeast near Christmas time, snow becomes increasingly likely. Much more likely there than the likes of PIT.
It also could be possible that with the records of the teams going into that game, it could get flexed into night game.

Their passing defense is 4th in the league.
They have the league leader in sacks, Matt Judon (13.0 already). Deatrich Wise has a respectable 6.5 too, and Josh Uche has 4.0.
Compare that to the Bengals, who only have 1 player with 4.0 or better - Hendrickson at 6.0.
So yes, they have a really, really good defense.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(11-21-2022, 03:11 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Temperature-wise, maybe.
But especially in the northeast near Christmas time, snow becomes increasingly likely. Much more likely there than the likes of PIT.
It also could be possible that with the records of the teams going into that game, it could get flexed into night game.

Their passing defense is 4th in the league.
They have the league leader in sacks, Matt Judon (13.0 already). Deatrich Wise has a respectable 6.5 too, and Josh Uche has 4.0.
Compare that to the Bengals, who only have 1 player with 4.0 or better - Hendrickson at 6.0.
So yes, they have a really, really good defense.

Thanks for the research.... just checked out their schedule.  The only shocking loss was to the Bears. They also beat the Jets twice should of been a split IMO.

Will be a tougher game than I thought... but I do think unless the Bengals lay an egg we should be favored. 
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2022, 02:56 PM)ochocincos Wrote: The CIN @ NE game might be a very impactful game that determines whether the Bengals or Patriots make the playoffs over the other.
Also, Patriots beat the Bills once last year, and the Jets just beat the Bills already this year.
It can't be slotted that the Bills will sweep NE.

Are the Patriots going to the Super Bowl this year? I highly doubt it. But you can't just dismiss NE while the hoodie is still there. If our "A" team shows up we can and should beat them, however...I'd venture to say they'll have an impact on playoff picture down the road.
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2022, 03:22 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Are the Patriots going to the Super Bowl this year? I highly doubt it. But you can't just dismiss NE while the hoodie is still there. If our "A" team shows up we can and should beat them, however...I'd venture to say they'll have an impact on playoff picture down the road.

Patriots are similar to the Titans this year - they lean on their good defense and running game.
Jones, like Tannehill, just needs to avoid turning the ball over for their team to win.
It's just harder to play in Foxboro than it is in Nashville, especially in Nov/Dec.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote