Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Now we get to see what Dalton is made of
2 poor performances. Rumblings that some players want Kaepernick...even if not true it's a distraction. A poor offensive line. Fans calling for McCarron.

Will he bounce back stronger? Or will he fold under the pressure and become a backup somewhere else?

THIS could define his career and our franchise for a long time.

This is the most pressure I can ever recall him being under.
Reply/Quote
For the first half last night Rodgers oline was getting owned and he looked like pure garbage. It's almost like a good QB can't always overcome constant pressure. This season was lost the moment our team decided to roll with what we had on the line.

Disclaimer: Not saying Dalton = Rodgers.
[Image: 85d8232ebbf088d606250ddec1641e7b.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Yeah GB had BOTH of the starting Tackles out. Jordy Nelson got injured too.

Atlanta has a great pass rusher in Beasley too.

You definitely need a good line in the NFL. Roethlisberger is the only QB I can recall playing good without one.
Reply/Quote
I don't care what quarterback is in there, the line is terrible and that has a lot to do with any quarterback's success. Our coaching staff blew it this year by forcing the issue of letting guys go and using early picks to pick up the slack. We saw who Ced was last year, he hasn't improved and yet we didn't do anything to bolster the line coming in.

1. Fire Marvin, get an HC who can open up this offense with quick outs, etc
2. Draft to need next year
3. Utilize FA to fill the holes- obviously Tackles
4. Hope that you can keep the guys you need on this team to make another run.

I hear talk of rebuilding, etc on here, but reality is the pieces are here and we haven't completed the puzzle. Instead, we tried to shove pieces in that didn't fit, we knew they didn't fit and we're left with problems.

The team is complacent, the coaching is lax. We let Zimmer walk (mistake in my eyes) and haven't been the same since.

If you do the same thing over and over again with the same results, we know what that is right? Insanity... and this team is doing just that.

[Image: ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.propelio.com%2Fwp-c...f=1&nofb=1]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2017, 10:35 AM)Shouldamapads Wrote: I don't care what quarterback is in there, the line is terrible and that has a lot to do with any quarterback's success.  Our coaching staff blew it this year by forcing the issue of letting guys go and using early picks to pick up the slack.  We saw who Ced was last year, he hasn't improved and yet we didn't do anything to bolster the line coming in.  

1. Fire Marvin, get an HC who can open up this offense with quick outs, etc
2. Draft to need next year
3. Utilize FA to fill the holes- obviously Tackles
4. Hope that you can keep the guys you need on this team to make another run.

I hear talk of rebuilding, etc on here, but reality is the pieces are here and we haven't completed the puzzle.  Instead, we tried to shove pieces in that didn't fit, we knew they didn't fit and we're left with problems.

The team is complacent, the coaching is lax.  We let Zimmer walk (mistake in my eyes) and haven't been the same since.

If you do the same thing over and over again with the same results, we know what that is right?  Insanity... and this team is doing just that.

I'm pretty sure that was the front office who let those guys go. The same front office that hasn't won a playoff game in 26+ years.

The huge problem with drafting for need is most of the guys we get aren't ready to start in Year 1...and sometimes Year 2. With a Top 10 pick, I believe you should get a guy that is one of your best 10-15 players immediately. That's not happening here.

Maybe it's the small scouting department? Maybe it's the coaches failing to develop players?

The front office wants to win...but only if they can win frugally...which I don't believe you can in the NFL.
Reply/Quote
Ok, I'm officially convinced now that if the league big wigs decide that you have to play horrible and still want to get paid millions of dollars you play horrible. 
Being a good company man I'm sure Andy wants to provide for his family. 
We can't have the league loss leader winning too many games. It would knock the Squeelers down a notch and bite into the league revenue stream. 
Nah, he'll play just good enough to keep his job and no more. The Squeelers in last place behind the Bengals and Browns? That would crash Wall Street and every other street..MAYHEM AND PANDAMONIUM! Which by the way is the unofficial motto of the Cincinnati Bengals..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(09-18-2017, 10:42 AM)grampahol Wrote: Ok, I'm officially convinced now that if the league big wigs decide that you have to play horrible and still want to get paid millions of dollars you play horrible. 
Being a good company man I'm sure Andy wants to provide for his family. 
We can't have the league loss leader winning too many games. It would knock the Squeelers down a notch and bite into the league revenue stream. 
Nah, he'll play just good enough to keep his job and no more. The Squeelers in last place behind the Bengals and Browns? That would crash Wall Street and every other street..MAYHEM AND PANDAMONIUM! Which by the way is the unofficial motto of the Cincinnati Bengals..

There was no semblance of offense in the 1st 2 games. IF Andy was trying to play just well enough to lose...he was terrible at that too.
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2017, 09:24 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Will he bounce back stronger? Or will he fold under the pressure and become a backup somewhere else?

I was confident that his game against the Ravens was an anomaly, and that a weak Texans team was just what the doctor ordered to bounce back in a big way, and get back on track. Didn't happen. Say what you want about the OL, he still was missing open receivers and making some poor decisions.

I still think he can adjust and play much better, (and if Dalton starts playing better, everyone will) but I'm not as confident as I was last week. 
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2017, 10:17 AM)Aquapod770 Wrote: For the first half last night Rodgers oline was getting owned and he looked like pure garbage. It's almost like a good QB can't always overcome constant pressure. This season was lost the moment our team decided to roll with what we had on the line.

Disclaimer: Not saying Dalton = Rodgers.

I thought the same thing as I watched that game......and as I watched Keenum get pummeled in Shitsburgh.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(09-18-2017, 09:24 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: This is the most pressure I can ever recall him being under.

No, that would have been in 2015, when he  narrowly beat out Peyton Manning of the Broncos for the NFL Quarterback That Most Resembles Their Team Mascot award.
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2017, 10:57 AM)BMK Wrote: I was confident that his game against the Ravens was an anomaly, and that a weak Texans team was just what the doctor ordered to bounce back in a big way, and get back on track. Didn't happen. Say what you want about the OL, he still was missing open receivers and making some poor decisions.

I still think he can adjust and play much better, (and if Dalton starts playing better, everyone will) but I'm not as confident as I was last week. 

I'm not going to try and gloss over Andy's problems - he's played like crap missing open receivers, running from light pressure, throwing into a crowd etc. And to be honest doubt is creeping into my mind and I've been a pretty solid Dalton supporter.

Having said that we basically speaking (forget the O-line woes) haven't had an offense. It has resembled a nut case in a straight jacket wearing a helmet bouncing of the walls in a padded room ! No direction, no chemistry, no form, no function. Zampese had no clue as to what to do to get some rhythm going. The players weren't executing on the field because of it ! It wasn't just one thing it was everything.

Now add in a horrible O-line and it was a recipe for disaster. Which I can't believe the coaches didn't see in pre-season and practice but that's another argument. I have no illusions that Lazor is gonna make everything all better in a week or two. But I'm hoping he can get a bit of chemistry going and turn this train wreck around.

Roll Dalton out, put the weapons out on the field, quit sitting Ross ! I remember Eifert sitting way to much and analysts talking about it back when he started. Leave Mixon in for entire series and stop this rotating backs every other play and on and on.

Give Andy a real plan it's bound to get better.
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2017, 11:04 AM)Wyche Wrote: I thought the same thing as I watched that game......and as I watched Keenum get pummeled in Shitsburgh.

Playing the Steelers twice is going to be brutal with this line.
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2017, 12:57 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Playing the Steelers twice is going to be brutal with this line.

Beyond brutal....I feel bad for Dalton and the RBs.

Reply/Quote
(09-18-2017, 01:02 PM)Wyche Wrote: Beyond brutal....I feel bad for Dalton and the RBs.

Yeah...when people are like 'Mixon needs to start and play 20 snaps' I think they are crazy. He's going to develop bad habits running behind a line with no holes and start to become tentative.

He needs eased in like he has been.
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2017, 01:39 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Yeah...when people are like 'Mixon needs to start and play 20 snaps' I think they are crazy. He's going to develop bad habits running behind a line with no holes and start to become tentative.

Personally, I say we revert back to '09, run unbalanced sets, use a FB and pound the rock.  That's just me.  I agree about developing the bad habits as well.  It seems to me that Hill is interested in playing a little smash mouth this season.  Let him have at it.

Reply/Quote
(09-18-2017, 01:39 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Yeah...when people are like 'Mixon needs to start and play 20 snaps' I think they are crazy. He's going to develop bad habits running behind a line with no holes and start to become tentative.

Can't we just call it patience and drool over him?
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(09-18-2017, 09:24 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: 2 poor performances. Rumblings that some players want Kaepernick...even if not true it's a distraction. A poor offensive line. Fans calling for McCarron.

Will he bounce back stronger? Or will he fold under the pressure and become a backup somewhere else?

THIS could define his career and our franchise for a long time.

This is the most pressure I can ever recall him being under.

If Andy continues playing poorly in GB they need to bench him and play AJ regardless during that game. It needs to be a statement from coaching. Im not saying AJ is the answer thats for sure, but if Dalton doesn't improve he needs to be benched. He threw a lot of bad passes against Houston that nothing to do with the O-Line, that excuse can go so far. 

Will he bounce back stronger? I don't think so, you would've thought he would've bounced back last Thursday if he had that in him.
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2017, 03:17 PM)GodFather Wrote: He threw a lot of bad passes against Houston 

I wouldn't say he threw "a lot"; yeah, he threw SOME bad passes, but most were OK, IMO and there was some good ones, too. Nothing like the bad passes he threw in the Baltimore game.

That's not to say he played OK. Just that, IMO, he threw more "OK" passes than bad passes.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
When is the last time you saw Brady running for his life half the game?
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2017, 03:22 PM)PhilHos Wrote: I wouldn't say he threw "a lot"; yeah, he threw SOME bad passes, but most were OK, IMO and there was some good ones, too. Nothing like the bad passes he threw in the Baltimore game.

That's not to say he played OK. Just that, IMO, he threw more "OK" passes than bad passes.

I think your being kind...
Reply/Quote