Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nugent Nervous
Anyone remember during the game on Sunday, during OT, during one of our offensive possessions, they showed a close up of Nugent's face? Was it me or did he look nervous? It actually made me worry if we were to rely on him to kick a GW FG.

He made it, but doinking it off an upright doesn't make me more confident in him the next time we need him to kick a game winner.

Would anyone else, besides me, STILL like to go out and get a new kicker? Heck, if he's available, I'd rather give Obarski a shot.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
If it was me I would have been shitting myself. I think he will be ok but then again I'm still shocked over the last 3yrs of Graham.

Although, Nugent is only kicking 71% accuracy so he really needs to improve this asap or I'm totally onboard with you.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
!st off, we were on the opposite hashmark that had him kicking across his body.

2nd, we were playing what should be a back-to-back Super Bowl Champion.

3rd, I didn't really see that, but, if he was nervous, hopefully that gave him confidence ThumbsUp He looked happy and confident after..... not really like he was surprised it went in.

He'll be ok.

Rock On
Reply/Quote
Personally, yes I think we could use a new kicker. One with more accuracy and a bit of a stronger leg for kick offs.
Reply/Quote
He kicked two pressure packed kicks when it mattered, doink or no doink. Maybe it'll be like last year--he misses a few early and makes all the rest.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
I was ready to move on a year ago. We ride out this year, hoping he doesn't **** up when it really matters, like in a playoff game, and then we get his replacement. I really hope Mike Brown's stuborn loyalty to him doesn't end up biting us in the ass and ending what would have been an historic season.
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
We aint gonna find a better FA kicker at the moment, so i don't think we should cut him. I kinda wish we kept Brown a few years back when we had the chance though... Bang Head
Reply/Quote
(10-13-2015, 09:17 PM)SB50Champs Wrote: We aint gonna find a better FA kicker at the moment, so i don't think we should cut him. I kinda wish we kept Brown a few years back when we had the chance though... Bang Head

Not like Kyle Brinza is our savior
Reply/Quote
A lot of kickers are having struggles this year, normally I would have said, actually i think i have said we need a new kicker but ya gotta give Nuge props in this one. Still, I wouldn't be opposed to finding a new kicker next year. ha

But yeah, outside of Vinatieri being nervous in that situation isn't exclusive to Nuge or anything.

Reply/Quote
I thought he looked dialed in with a scowl. I even said it to my dad that he looked focused. He looked like we could've put him in at LB, except for the part about him being 170lbs.
Reply/Quote
Like any other player on this team that gets hate, be it Tate, Luga or Nuge, if we can upgrade fine, but until someone comes in and can take their jobs you might try supporting them....
Reply/Quote
(10-13-2015, 09:47 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Like any other player on this team that gets hate, be it Tate, Luga or Nuge, if we can upgrade fine, but until someone comes in and can take their jobs you might try supporting them....

I want him to do well. We sink or swim with him, so I have no choice but to root for him. Doesn't mean I won't criticize him when it's warranted, and it doesn't mean the team shouldn't make a concerted effort to find his replacement next year.
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(10-13-2015, 09:47 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Like any other player on this team that gets hate, be it Tate, Luga or Nuge, if we can upgrade fine, but until someone comes in and can take their jobs you might try supporting them....

So no discussion permitted about his performance?
Reply/Quote
Not everyone goes into over-confident/I'm-better-than-everybody mode, I don't care if he crochets mittens on the sidelines as long as he does his job.
Reply/Quote
I say let's see how Nuge finishes the year before we go to find his replacement. As I've said before, unless the guy has a major meltdown we should stick with him. He went on quite the streak to end last season.
Well does he have a name or should I call him... lawyer?
Reply/Quote
This is the year of the snakebitten and/or fired and replaced kicker. The pickings are going to be slim, and I doubt we'd even be able to upgrade Nuge is we magically traded straight-up for most of the kickers in the league.
Reply/Quote
I really like Nuge, and it's somewhat because he is a Bengal through and through.He grew up about 40 minutes from the stadium, and was always a fan of the team. But he is making me a little nervous lately. On the positive side, that kick had some real carry on it, and struck the upright really high.

Someone else mentioned being on the right hash, and that bothered me a little, too. I know they've got to make them from any spot, but for a right footed kicker, that ball is many times drawing to the left somewhat. Since our third down was basically just getting slightly closer and hanging onto the ball, why didn't we get a little more into the center of the field.

On a positive note, Nuge and the entire special team FG unit did a great job at the end of regulation, being totally ready to get out there and set up in time. That was a great job by everybody, from the special teams coach on down.
Reply/Quote
(10-14-2015, 01:31 AM)Utts Wrote: So no discussion permitted about his performance?

We can discuss it.

He made a time expiring field goal to send the game into overtime with no timeouts and clock winding down quickly.

He made an overtime field goal to make us 5-0.

Nuge did what was asked of him.
Reply/Quote
Wolf, I like you, but you live in Pittsburgh. Hypocriticlaly, I live in Cleveland, though - lol.

But I used this argument elsewhere.
  • Nuge was 3/5 going into that game.
  • To say "he did what was asked of him" is like saying someone who shoots 50% from the free throw line, made his last 2 free throws (but banked the last one in) - and he's a keeper. The problem in this situation is, all this guy does is be asked to make free throws.
  • If he missed that game winner in OT, shades of Carolina would have come up - and if Seattle drove back to win, I think we would definitely be talking about our 4/7 kicker. When the ball is greater than 40 yards away I think the confidence he's going to make it is iffy. Imagine losing a superbowl to that, lol.
  • We all "like" Mike Nugent. We all "like" Devon Still.
  • I think a lot of players have psychologists, I think Nugent just needs more mental practice, I bet he can kick all those easily with nobody else around.
  • Chad Johnson keeps showing up as the Bengals play better, I have reason to believe if he practiced he might end up as good as Nugent. Imagine Ochocinco being our kicker in a playoff run, lol. Not gonna happen, but hilarious.
Nugent is 21st in accuracy in active kickers in the league. We may not have a better backup, I wonder how some of our secondary players rank in their critical categories, but he is a weaker link on the team. I wonder if the Bengals are trying to not kick balls out of the endzone like almost every other team (or at least consistently drive them deep?). We have seen a lot of Nuge's kicks land on the 1.

While we're on the topic of kicking, someone teach B. Tate to kneel the ball. When has Tate crossed the 20? I wonder how the ST coach lets this go on for so long.
[Image: 43325991030_4d39723a8f.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(10-14-2015, 04:48 AM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: Wolf, I like you, but you live in Pittsburgh. Hypocriticlaly, I live in Cleveland, though - lol.

But I used this argument elsewhere.

• Nuge was 3/5 going into that game.
  • To say "he did what was asked of him" is like saying someone who shoots 50% from the free throw line, made his last 2 free throws (but banked the last one in) - and he's a keeper. The problem in this situation is, all this guy does is be asked to make free throws.
  • If he missed that game winner in OT, shades of Carolina would have come up - and if Seattle drove back to win, I think we would definitely be talking about our 4/7 kicker. When the ball is greater than 40 yards away I think the confidence he's going to make it is iffy. Imagine losing a superbowl to that, lol.
  • We all "like" Mike Nugent. We all "like" Devon Still.
  • I think a lot of players have psychologists, I think Nugent just needs more mental practice, I bet he can kick all those easily with nobody else around.
  • Chad Johnson keeps showing up as the Bengals play better, I have reason to believe if he practiced he might end up as good as Nugent. Imagine Ochocinco being our kicker in a playoff run, lol. Not gonna happen, but hilarious.
Nugent is 21st in accuracy in active kickers in the league. We may not have a better backup, I wonder how some of our secondary players rank in their critical categories, but he is a weaker link on the team. I wonder if the Bengals are trying to not kick balls out of the endzone like almost every other team (or at least consistently drive them deep?). We have seen a lot of Nuge's kicks land on the 1.

While we're on the topic of kicking, someone teach B. Tate to kneel the ball. When has Tate crossed the 20? I wonder how the ST coach lets this go on for so long.

THIS. Times 1,000!

Hesitate drives me bonkers. If we were deeper at CB, I'm sure Adam Jones would be THE return guy, for the most part.
Idk how the ST coaches allow Hesitate to go on like he does...It's pointless. Call the fair catch and be done with it rather than run a few yards right into a wall of people from the opposing team!

Bang Head
Reply/Quote