Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Nugent will cost us at least 1 game this year
(08-15-2016, 01:29 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I guess Hocker isn't good enough to do it who is already on the team.

Still wondering who the coaches would replace Nuge with even if it is a better kicker.

The Bengals already had the chance to replace Nugent with a better kicker and they passed.  I'm not sure why people think the only thing stopping the Nugent from being replaced is that a better kicker hasn't shown up.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2016, 03:06 PM)Nately120 Wrote: The Bengals already had the chance to replace Nugent with a better kicker and they passed.  I'm not sure why people think the only thing stopping the Nugent from being replaced is that a better kicker hasn't shown up.

Also, you're not going to find a better kicker unless you bring someone in to truly challenge him.  Draft someone, take a look at a couple of the top college free agent kickers... it's not rocket science.

And for everyone who says "name a better kicker on the street right now".  I am not a human Google, so I don't know every college kicker, but I do know there are some good ones every year.
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2016, 03:06 PM)Nately120 Wrote: The Bengals already had the chance to replace Nugent with a better kicker and they passed.  I'm not sure why people think the only thing stopping the Nugent from being replaced is that a better kicker hasn't shown up.

Favoritism.

(08-15-2016, 03:09 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: Also, you're not going to find a better kicker unless you bring someone in to truly challenge him.  Draft someone, take a look at a couple of the top college free agent kickers... it's not rocket science.

And for everyone who says "name a better kicker on the street right now".  I am not a human Google, so I don't know every college kicker, but I do know there are some good ones every year.

Sounds like we will have to draft one...

Sucks, don't like using a pick on a kicker even though they can win or lose a game for you.
Reply/Quote
I would bet that on the message board for every other team in the NFL, every single team's kicker will have the blame for at least one loss levied against them by their fans... every single one of them
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2016, 03:06 PM)Nately120 Wrote:
The Bengals already had the chance to replace Nugent with a better kicker and they passed.
 I'm not sure why people think the only thing stopping the Nugent from being replaced is that a better kicker hasn't shown up.

Nugent was a better kicker than Brown at the time we decided to keep Nugent.

In 2012 Brown was on the street without a job when we signed him after Nuge got hurt.  At that time Nuge had a career .839 career FG percentage and was coming off a year where he finished 2nd in the league in FGs (33) and 8th in FG% (.868).  Brown had an .808 career FG percentage and was coming off a year where he only hit .750 of his FGs and got cut by the Rams.
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2016, 04:08 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Nugent was a better kicker than Brown at the time we decided to keep Nugent.

In 2012 Brown was on the street without a job when we signed him after Nuge got hurt.  At that time Nuge had a career .839 career FG percentage and was coming off a year where he finished 2nd in the league in FGs (33) and 8th in FG% (.868).  Brown had an .808 career FG percentage and was coming off a year where he only hit .750 of his FGs and got cut by the Rams.

There was another kicker we had here i liked, i think his name was Quinn Sharp or something like that?

Remember him making everything.
Reply/Quote
Nugent will be here as long as he wants.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
Only a couple get drafted in most year, and it is normally in the later rounds.  How much do you realistically expect to get out of most sixth or seventh round guys? I think it would be a pick well spent, but that can't happen until next year.
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2016, 04:35 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: Nugent will be here as long as he wants.

Don't be silly.

Not even Willie Anderson could stay here as long as he wanted.
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2016, 04:10 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: There was another kicker we had here i liked, i think his name was Quinn Sharp or something like that?

Best I can tell Quinn Sharpe never made a single FG in a regular season NFL game and could not even make it in the CFL.

This is a great example of why fans should not be trusted to judge football talent.
Reply/Quote
Worst part about Nuge is when he misses an important kick and they interview him about it after the game.

He always seems ready to cry a river. 

I let the guys down Cry Cry Cry

I want a kicker like Janikowski or Vanderjagt... getting liquored up at half time....
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2016, 05:31 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Best I can tell Quinn Sharpe never made a single FG in a regular season NFL game and could not even make it in the CFL.

This is a great example of why fans should not be trusted to judge football talent.

LOL  is that why I'm sitting here at my desk and not in a meeting room of an NFL team right now!?
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2016, 05:34 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: I want a kicker like Janikowski or Vanderjagt... getting liquored up at half time....

When ya look up and see two sets of goalposts, just close one eye and kick it like hell!
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2016, 05:31 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Best I can tell Quinn Sharpe never made a single FG in a regular season NFL game and could not even make it in the CFL.

Never can make a FG in a regular season game if you are cut.

BTW, your trust in the coaches always is the reason fellow fans cannot take you seriously when judging football talent.

You have no eyes. Only stats, that is your world.

I was trying to be polite to you as we always disagree but you just insult people. Go pound sand Fred.
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2016, 06:20 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Never can make a FG in a regular season game if you are cut.

BTW, your trust in the coaches always is the reason fellow fans cannot take you seriously when judging football talent.

You have no eyes. Only stats, that is your world.

I was trying to be polite to you as we always disagree but you just insult people. Go pound sand Fred.

There are 31 other teams in the NFL and a lot of them have kickers worse than Nugent.  Why didn't any of them sign Sharp?

Then there is the fact that he could not even cut it in the CFL where he was a career 1 of 3 on FGs.

So what is more likely?  You are right, or every single NFL and CFL team was right?
Reply/Quote
Nugent is here for the same reason that a lot of guys stick around here, he is familiar.

You know he will make most of them, and he is clutch most of the time. Sometimes he falters... but It's not like Andy Dalton AJ Green and J. Hill haven't faltered at some point either..

We know what we have with Nugent.

It's the Tate argument. He does his job well and there isn't a definite upgrade available. Also, the coaches are familiar with them and trust them in various fashions. Coach Simmons seems to be a "If it aint broke, don't fix it." kind of coach, and Nuge is still functional.
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2016, 04:10 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: There was another kicker we had here i liked, i think his name was Quinn Sharp or something like that?

I remember Sharp's last year here, someone (unbiased) went to TC and stated that you could clearly see who was the NFL kicker and who was the camp body, as Nuge' was making 50(+) in practice no sweat, while Sharp was missing 47/48 yarders consistently.

For the longest time afterwards, when his name was brought up, I wish I had screenshotted that post.

Anyways, just try this on for size; Since 2012, Nuge' has never missed a pre-season FG, Friday was his first. (yes, who cares about PS, just thought it was interesting).

As for Mr. Sharp, in his 2+ years with us, he made a grand total of 1 FG in preseason; a 28 yarder.

So, in terms of, "making everything," I think its revisionist.

Look, none of us supporters are saying he's a top kicker or the greatest ever, but he's perfectly fine, he WON'T cost us a game this year and when his contract is up, he'll be gone.

Then we can take a big boot from college.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2016, 07:21 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: I remember Sharp's last year here, someone (unbiased) went to TC and stated that you could clearly see who was the NFL kicker and who was the camp body, as Nuge' was making 50(+) in practice no sweat, while Sharp was missing 47/48 yarders consistently.

For the longest time afterwards, when his name was brought up, I wish I had screenshotted that post.

Anyways, just try this on for size; Since 2012, Nuge' has never missed a pre-season FG, Friday was his first. (yes, who cares about PS, just thought it was interesting).

As for Mr. Sharp, in his 2+ years with us, he made a grand total of 1 FG in preseason; a 28 yarder.

So, in terms of, "making everything," I think its revisionist.

Look, none of us supporters are saying he's a top kicker or the greatest ever, but he's perfectly fine, he WON'T cost us a game this year and when his contract is up, he'll be gone.

Then we can take a big boot from college.

Cool Truck, thanks for bringing me back. I was just trying to remember and i was mistaken.
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2016, 06:39 PM)fredtoast Wrote: There are 31 other teams in the NFL and a lot of them have kickers worse than Nugent.  Why didn't any of them sign Sharp?

Then there is the fact that he could not even cut it in the CFL where he was a career 1 of 3 on FGs.

So what is more likely?  You are right, or every single NFL and CFL team was right?

I was wrong.

Leave it alone. Whatever

BTW, i am not the guy hating on Nuge for God sake.
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2016, 04:08 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Nugent was a better kicker than Brown at the time we decided to keep Nugent.

So what you are saying is even when we pick the better of 2 kickers we still end up getting the worst of 2 kickers?  Harsh.
Reply/Quote