Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Number 70
(11-27-2017, 11:42 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: How could we have so many players in the wrong scheme?

It's like our scouts do a terrible job evaluating fit? I guess if you only read scouting reports from 3rd party services that's what happens.

It's not scouting.  It's the Piano Man.  Now I understand the line coach pretty much has to install a blocking scheme the offensive coordinator wants and as far as I can tell, Ken Zampese wanted zone blocking on run plays.  This was the case in 2016 and in 2017 until the game against the Browns.  I suspect Bill Lazor had something to do with the change of blocking scheme from zone to directional because it suits his offense better.  Thankfully Paul Alexander responded and changed the scheme and we all saw the results:  Joe Mixon finally had open gaps to run through.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2017, 12:36 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: It's not scouting.  It's the Piano Man.  Now I understand the line coach pretty much has to install a blocking scheme the offensive coordinator wants and as far as I can tell, Ken Zampese wanted zone blocking on run plays.  This was the case in 2016 and in 2017 until the game against the Browns.  I suspect Bill Lazor had something to do with the change of blocking scheme from zone to directional because it suits his offense better.  Thankfully Paul Alexander responded and changed the scheme and we all saw the results:  Joe Mixon finally had open gaps to run through.

I don't like Alexander's passive blocking scheme. I favor aggression.
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2017, 12:36 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: It's not scouting.  It's the Piano Man.  Now I understand the line coach pretty much has to install a blocking scheme the offensive coordinator wants and as far as I can tell, Ken Zampese wanted zone blocking on run plays.  This was the case in 2016 and in 2017 until the game against the Browns.  I suspect Bill Lazor had something to do with the change of blocking scheme from zone to directional because it suits his offense better.  Thankfully Paul Alexander responded and changed the scheme and we all saw the results:  Joe Mixon finally had open gaps to run through.

I could buy that except Lazor has been OC for a while now. Why wait until NOW to make the change? I could understand if this was the first game after the bye but it's not.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2017, 11:59 AM)PhilHos Wrote: I could buy that except Lazor has been OC for a while now. Why wait until NOW to make the change? I could understand if this was the first game after the bye but it's not.

Maybe Eric Winston had a hand in it. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote