Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WHAT Is This Team Trying To Be In 2020 ???
(11-06-2019, 07:17 PM)kevin Wrote: OK, we know the front office isn't going anywhere.   I also doubt they are firing coaches as they did in 2017, 2018 and start of 2019. I'm not ruling it out, but changing coaches every year doesn't seem to be helping.  In fact one could say they can't draft enough to keep up with the coaching changes.

So something other than the negative this team has thrown me in as a fan.   Baltimore knows what they want to be.  New England knows what they want to be.  Pittsburgh is consistent on what they want to be.  Just what in the heck do the Bengals want to be ?   I'm serious.  What kind of a defense do they want to be from 2020 to 2030 ?   What kind of an offense ?    They need a blueprint or a plan.  Without a plan, all Drafts are pointless.   For example, Paul Brown starting Browns and then starting Bengals had an idea of what the heck he wanted.  Without THAT, everything becomes pointless.  You can't just go off willy nilly and hope for the best.   I look at the Dynasty teams and the NFL Championships, I don't see Luck.  I see a solid plan of Attack.

So I'm looking past the next game and past this awful season now.  I'm not even looking at what fans say about the Draft.   We know the O Line is weak.  We know the Defense is weak.  Both have been weak at least the last 3 years. The question in rebuilding the blocking and tackling becomes what type of Offense & Defense are they planning ?   Without a solid plan of attack, all is pointless.

I can easily say that I liked what Tony Dungy did in Tampa and Indy on Defense and in the drafts on D he wanted SPEED, even on the Line and Front 7, SPEED.  Get to the play. You can't make the play if you can't get to it.   Bengals D are awful tacklers, worst in NFL.   They are also slow and a step too late to make the play. That is from front to back including some over rated D Backs.  I also like the players the Steelers draft every year, often the players I wish Bengals had taken, such as Bengals passing on DeCastro.  Steelers get the Big Boys that can block and tackle every draft, it's not Luck their Super Bowls.

On Offense I liked the draft picks used to build the Bengals O Line of the 1980's, and they drafted many top blockers that decade of 2 Super Bowl trips.  I have seen the great Packers O Line of Lombardi.  The great Washington HOGS of the 70's and 80's.  The great line of Parcells with Giants knocking teams 5 yards back on every snap.  The best was Oakland as 00 walked to center and team followed.  Jim Otto, Gene Upshaw, Art Shell were the reason that team could run and throw at will.  

But it doesn't matter what I like or other fans like.  What does matter is that this front office and coaches in the middle of 1-15 over last 16 games come up with a Plan Of Attack for the 2020's.   You can't just say, Boy there is this college quarterback and he looks really good.  That is grade school stuff.   More important is what kind of an O Line and Defense do they want in the 2020's.   Make a Plan and start Drafting to build them.   THAT is what winning dynasty teams do.  They do not sit there on Draft Day and throw darts at names on a dart board. The GREAT teams know what they are doing BEFORE they do it.

The Bengals have 3 months before Senior Bowl. Then Free Agency. Then Combine. Then in 5 months The Draft.  It's time they make the long range Plan Of Attack, and get ready.   They need to look now at who on this team Fits their long range plans.  There are 2011 players who the Window Of Opportunity closed on.  Trade top names for extra picks if needed, this team is a loser now anyway.  Build for the Future.  GET IT DONE.

I see this team at 1-15 last games as in Expansion Team Mode.   Taking a QB at #1 would be silly unless he is Superman, and there is no Superman.  In Expansion Team Rebuild Mode, try to have many picks and know THE TYPE players you are looking for, as many as you can get in 2020.   I have given up on 2019 in September.   I have not gave up on the next Decade, BUT, they NEED to decide What The Heck They Are Doing and Building.   I think drafting a quarterback and telling him to go win with the worst team in NFL is just too grade school approach.  They need a better Plan Of Attack for the next decade than that.  They will find people to QB in 2020.  In 2020 start Drafting blocking and tackling for a top pick QB in to be a part of later.  Build It And He Will Come.

On this, I say for the first time in over a month, GO BENGALS. ...Get A Plan and Build IT.

Forrest Gregg won 6 games his first year, but I SAW the improvement.   The next year he went Super Bowl.   I could accept 6 wins in 2020 IF I SAW the improvement that I saw in 1980.

Well said 1968 Bengal fan,now send this letter to ZT and Mikey,they will read it as I write them all the time and they write me back,I have all the letters to prove that. Signed 40 year fan.
Reply/Quote
(11-07-2019, 03:18 PM)fortyyearfan Wrote: Well said 1968 Bengal fan,now send this letter to ZT and Mikey,they will read it as I write them all the time and they write me back,I have all the letters to prove that. Signed 40 year fan.

They largely don't care what the fanbase things.

It's weird as there is 28 years of history here...yet people seem to think management will just change drastically how they operate.

They're going to draft a QB high. Then they'll go LB or Tackle in the 2nd Round. Try to keep Green. Probably re-sign Eifert and Dennard. Maybe keep Vigil and make people mad.

Then, in free agency...they'll sign a few Tier 3/4 free agents...like Kevin Minter or Jon Bostic. And they might overpay an underachiever from the Steelers like Bud Dupree.

They'll largely rely on health making the team better.

That's their plan.
Reply/Quote
(11-07-2019, 03:49 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: They largely don't care what the fanbase things.

It's weird as there is 28 years of history here...yet people seem to think management will just change drastically how they operate.

They're going to draft a QB high. Then they'll go LB or Tackle in the 2nd Round. Try to keep Green. Probably re-sign Eifert and Dennard. Maybe keep Vigil and make people mad.

Then, in free agency...they'll sign a few Tier 3/4 free agents...like Kevin Minter or Jon Bostic. And they might overpay an underachiever from the Steelers like Bud Dupree.

They'll largely rely on health making the team better.

That's their plan.

The idea that Mike Brown is going to change anything is wishful thinking.  The holidays are coming up...go find a family member that is 80+ years old and try to change his/her mind about anything.  Good luck.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
A lot of these recent posts falling back into players and coaches and looking at THIS 0-8 team

Can we all accept this team stinks. It stink, stank, stunk last 3 years with or without AJ Green and it stinks now.

Can we agree with 8 games left and February, March & April are not that far away, THAT THEY NEED A PLAN.

Can we agree that to go into the draft without any DIRECTION or Plan is POINTLESS.

The Patriots, Ravens, Steelers year in, year out have an Identity of Who They Are. What they are trying to draft and bring into Who They Are. The Bengals of 30 years of no play-off wins and most 0-4 starts in those 30 years have the Identity of THE BUNGLES. They can't win in Prime Time. They can't win in big games. Now for last 16 games they can't win any games. Can we Agree THAT can NOT be THE DIRECTION or THE IDENTITY to carry into 2020's.

This season is over. They need to FOCUS on just what the heck kind of offense and defense they plan to be the next 10 years. Otherwise the Draft and all Drafts to come are POINTLESS and no use in fans looking to the drafts if this Franchise Has No Plan, No Direction.

This season is long over, so I'm not even talking about the chit chat of this years team. I do say that those who pointed to Marvin and now point to Taylor need to KNOW that Duck Tobin got all the credit for his hiring of Taylor early this year. So if you are mad at Taylor, you must also be mad at Tobin who takes all the credit for hiring him. Tobin now has GM to his name, maybe simulated GM, but to Bengals he is the GM. As GM, is he giving this team an Identity and Direction for The Future at 1-15 over last 16 games ? I SAY NO.

Well, that's it. There is no Identity or Direction other than BUNGLES, the word many of you HATE, and you should HATE. This front office needs an enema. This Front Office needs a whole new Direction and Plan for the 2020's. Otherwise, all drafts are just shat on a shingle.

I repeat, would you put new tires on a car with no steering wheel ? Of course not. This team before it makes one single player move this winter, needs a steering wheel, a Plan, a Direction for The Next Decade. Just Who The Heck Are They, and What The Heck Do They Want This Team To Be.... Right now, The Front Office don't have a clue, they really don't.....They better be working on it, because January and February are NOT far away and those months are key starts to what goes on the field in fall of 2020.

Actually, this is a positive post because I'm talking about teams future. Why, I don't know, because this Front Office doesn't deserve any of us Fans. The stadium should be empty, the TV's off on their games. I'm looking for anything to be positive about, and that One and Only thing is they need to quit going in circles on the cheap and come up with A PLAN like Patriots, Ravens, Steelers and Good Teams do. It's not Luck. Good teams have a Plan, an Identity. Not the Bengals, not since Paul Brown died.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
For better or for worse the Bungles identity is and always has always been for Another Dey...just never the current dey..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I think one Identity and Direction was one Forrest Gregg had on coming here. It was true then and it is true now. The Bengals are WEAK. In the trenches they are the weakest team in the NFL on offense and defensive front 7. WEAK.

So the Direction Forrest Gregg set was to make Bengals TOUGH.

Just looking at Mel Kiper rankings of draft players, this would be The Big Boys to grab first 5 rounds. that's as far as the list goes now.

#1. Chase Young-EDGE RUSHER-Ohio State-DEFENSE-Pick 1
#2. Trey Adams- 6 foot 8 inches tall TACKLE- Washington- OFFENSE-Pick 33
#3. Dylan Brooks - LINEBACKER- Alabama-DEFENSE-Pick 65
#4. Landon Dickerson- GUARD- Alabama- OFFENSE- Pick 97
#5. Frederick Maulgoa - CENTER - Washington State- OFFENSE- Pick 129

These are the top players on the board as of now when Bengals might pick as far as trench players. Sorry no Defensive Tackles, I was looking. No finesse players because team is WEAK. The idea to go out and get the Big Boys to win in the Trenches. The way Mel Kipers top players are so far if Bengals draft top of each round, these players could be there to add 2 Studs to the D and 3 Bell Cows to the O Line. One thing is for sure, the Bengals would be trying to get TOUGH IN THE TRENCHES. BLOCKING. TACKLING.

So getting TOUGHER is one Plan, the plan Forrest Gregg had seeing how weak Bengals were. For those who say that's a lot of Blockers, well, that's who is on the board and it seems to be a good year to draft Blockers, and you can't say Bengals O Line doesn't need a huge upgrade. Chase Young is suppose to be a difference maker like Lawrence Taylor, so you have to go there, and Brooks would be a good Linebacker pick from Bama.

I really don't think this team can win unless they get tougher in the trenches and you don't find those guys in free agency much. Some may say where is the QB and finesse players at WR and CB. My answer is this team is TOO WEAK to be drafting finesse players and the 1-15 record last 16 games is the proof. In 2020 this team can't get enough Tough Guys to Block and Tackle and fire some of these slugs on the team now. When you play Steelers and Ravens twice a year, you better be TOUGH in THE TRENCHES.

THIS is just an idea of a plan. Woody Hayes saying we don't have enough Big Boys. There could be other Plans. Bengals Front Office needs to start coming up with a PLAN for 2020's ASAP. I say address the O Line and Defense FIRST. To Bengals Front Office, I say AT LEAST start coming up with a Plan. Maybe you don't like mine. OK, what the heck does The Brown Family got that's better. Come up with something besides 1-15 last 16 games isn't getting it.

Again, even these picks or any picks are no good unless Bengals come up with a DIRECTION and a PLAN. It is like putting news tires on a car with no steering wheel.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote