Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nurse questions medical care at immigration jail in Georgia
The hysterectomies part sounds like some early-20th century eugenics shit.

https://apnews.com/30d71f010ec2696c5ca8b69e62b97c09

Quote:OCILLA, Ga. (AP) — An immigration detention center in Georgia performed questionable hysterectomies, refused to test detainees for COVID-19 and shredded medical records, according to a nurse quoted in a complaint filed Monday.

The complaint to the Homeland Security Department’s internal watchdog relies on accounts of Dawn Wooten, who worked full-time as a licensed practical nurse at the Irwin County Detention Center until July, when she was demoted to work as needed.

Wooten calls a gynecologist who works outside the facility “the uterus collector.”

“Everybody he sees has a hysterectomy — just about everybody,” Wooten said. “He’s even taken out the wrong ovary on a young lady.”

It was unclear to Wooten if women knowingly consented to the operations. Nurses raised concerns about the doctor, who is unnamed.

“These immigrant women, I don’t think they really, totally, all the way understand this is what’s going to happen depending on who explains it to them,” she is quoted saying.

The facility in Ocilla, about 200 miles (320 kilometers) south of Atlanta, houses men and women detainees for U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement, as well as inmates for the U.S. Marshals Service and Irwin County.

ICE said it does not comment on matters before the inspector general but that it takes all allegations seriously.

“That said, in general, anonymous, unproven allegations, made without any fact-checkable specifics, should be treated with the appropriate skepticism they deserve,” the agency said in a statement.

While the 27-page complaint filed by advocacy group Project South quotes unidentified detainees extensively, it also includes detailed comments from Wooten. The complaint says Wooten was demoted after missing work with coronavirus symptoms, which she believes was retaliation for raising questions about addressing COVID-19.

Wooten said the number of detainees infected was much higher than reported because there was no active testing and not all cases were reported, according to the complaint.

Wooten is quoted as saying the sick call nurse sometimes fabricated seeing detainees in person when they hadn’t and that she saw the nurse shred a box of detainee complaints without looking at them. She said nurses ignored detainees reporting COVID-19 symptoms.

If detainees reported a fever, nurses would put them on an over-the-counter cold medication for seven days without testing them for COVID-19, she said.

Wooten said the facility declined to use two rapid-testing COVID-19 machines that ICE purchased for $14,000 each. No medical staff had been trained on them and she saw the machines used only once.

LaSalle Corrections, which owns and operates Irwin County Detention Center under contract, did not immediately respond to a request for comment late Monday.

As of Sunday, 42 detainees at the facility had tested positive for the virus, according to ICE. Nationwide, 5,772 detainees were positive.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
I've been told by several posters on this forum that we shouldn't be concerned about medical malpractice.

But seriously folks. Medical care in detention facilities is never going to be top shelf, but if a doctor is performing unnecessary operations or not fully explaining procedures, and their consequences, to patients then they need to be prosecuted and lose their license.
Reply/Quote
The cynic in me says: "We should give our illegal immigrants better free healthcare."

The inquisitive person in me asks: "What would we do if they were tested and found to be COVID positive"

The hysterectomies, if true, see like something out of a Hostel movie.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2020, 11:01 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I've been told by several posters on this forum that we shouldn't be concerned about medical malpractice.

But seriously folks. Medical care in detention facilities is never going to be top shelf, but if a doctor is performing unnecessary operations or not fully explaining procedures, and their consequences, to patients then they need to be prosecuted and lose their license.

Disagree on the first part, agree on the second part.
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2020, 11:01 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I've been told by several posters on this forum that we shouldn't be concerned about medical malpractice.  

But seriously folks.  Medical care in detention facilities is never going to be top shelf, but if a doctor is performing unnecessary operations or not fully explaining procedures, and their consequences, to patients then they need to be prosecuted and lose their license.

I try to reserve judgments on things like this without significant evidence. That said, if this is true, many heads should roll, figuratively speaking, not the least of which is this uterus-collecting doctor.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2020, 11:25 AM)bfine32 Wrote: The cynic in me says: "We should give our illegal immigrants better free healthcare."

The inquisitive person in me asks: "What would we do if they were tested and found to be COVID positive"

The hysterectomies, if true, see like something out of a Hostel movie.

They are in federal custody. Kinda like treating enemy POW’s injuries.

If they were diagnosed with Covid 19 obviously we would give them a Trump and Navarro approved cocktail of hydroxychloroquine, azithromycin, disinfectant injections, and a very powerful tanning bed to bombard the body with UV B light. Duh. And if this doesn’t kill them it will probably give them windmill noise cancer.
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2020, 02:51 PM)PhilHos Wrote: I try to reserve judgments on things like this without significant evidence. That said, if this is true, many heads should roll, figuratively speaking, not the least of which is this uterus-collecting doctor.

Which is why I sought out the AP article on it. My Facebook feed was filled with people sharing articles from some other sources which were, to put it mildly, a little more inflammatory in the language.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2020, 02:58 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Which is why I sought out the AP article on it. My Facebook feed was filled with people sharing articles from some other sources which were, to put it mildly, a little more inflammatory in the language.

Only reason I opened this thread was because you were the one posted it. 

I saw a similar headline on Reddit, but I didn't feel like wading through the bullshit to try to get the real story.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2020, 07:22 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: The hysterectomies part sounds like some early-20th century eugenics shit.

https://apnews.com/30d71f010ec2696c5ca8b69e62b97c09

I think the issue here is not simply medical malpractice, but how current ICE policy might enable some ideologues to make choices for helpless, incarcerated women. 

Remember this?  https://www.pbs.org/newshour/politics/court-rules-against-trumps-abortion-policy-for-immigrant-teens-in-government-shelters.

Could be as many as 18-19 women. I'm with Philhos--we still need to wait and see.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote