7th Points  

Defense:
12th Yards (20th pass, 5th rush)
7th Points  

7th in points in both is pretty sweet.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
With a few minor adjustments, we could crack the top 5 this week.

Reply/Quote
(10-01-2015, 02:35 AM)jeremydc Wrote: With a few minor adjustments, we could crack the top 5 this week.

best adjustment would be having Marvin pass the halftime speech torch to anyone else

good coach, horrible speaker and motivator

sometimes I wonder if playoff games inspire him to give an extra speech or two
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2015, 03:26 AM)Psycholomonkey Wrote: best adjustment would be having Marvin pass the halftime speech torch to anyone else

I'm confused.  I can see where you were going with the first sentence (but it's a stretch).  The last 2 have absolutely nothing to do with the original post.  Not sure what a playoff speech has to do with anything related to offense and defense stats in week 4 of the 2015 NFL season.   Confused
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2015, 09:24 AM)Daddy-O Wrote: I'm confused.  I can see where you were going with the first sentence (but it's a stretch).  The last 2 have absolutely nothing to do with the original post.  Not sure what a playoff speech has to do with anything related to offense and defense stats in week 4 of the 2015 NFL season.   Confused

Probably that it seems the Bengals typically come out in the third quarter and play lethargic. If Marvin is the one giving the motivational speech at halftime, it doesn't seem to be effective since the team typically seems to play its worst in the third quarter.

How it relates to this post is that maybe with some better motivation, there would be more desire to go out there after the half and kick some ass, gaining more yards, scoring more points, and putting the gas pedal to the floor.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(10-01-2015, 02:09 AM)Millhouse Wrote: Offense:
2nd Yards (6th pass, 8th rush)
7th Points  

Defense:
12th Yards (20th pass, 5th rush)
7th Points  

7th in points in both is pretty sweet.

Points is where it matters for sure. Hopefully we can keep improving on both sides
of the ball Offensively scoring more points and not leaving anything on the field and on
Defense tackling better so players like SSS don't burn us later on.
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2015, 03:26 AM)Psycholomonkey Wrote: best adjustment would be having Marvin pass the halftime speech torch to anyone else

(10-01-2015, 10:18 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Probably that it seems the Bengals typically come out in the third quarter and play lethargic. If Marvin is the one giving the motivational speech at halftime, it doesn't seem to be effective since the team typically seems to play its worst in the third quarter.

How it relates to this post is that maybe with some better motivation, there would be more desire to go out there after the half and kick some ass, gaining more yards, scoring more points, and putting the gas pedal to the floor.

Yeah, need someone else to fire us up at Halftime for damn sure.

It is pretty dang obvious from watching the first 3 games and this has happened for years.
Reply/Quote
Just think if the Bengals actually tried to scored points at the end of a half. We probably could be top 5 with that!
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2015, 11:30 AM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yeah, need someone else to fire us up at Halftime for damn sure.

It is pretty dang obvious from watching the first 3 games and this has happened for years.

Doesn't seem so obvious to me.

The last two seasons the Bengals have ranked 7th and 11th in points scored in the third quarter.  So the Bengals offense is performing better than most other teams in the third quarter.

Sunday we came out of the locker room and had a 10 play 61 yard drive that ended with an interception.  Don't know how you can say this is proof that we always come out "flat". I really doubt that a better halftime speech would have eliminated that turnover.
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2015, 12:16 PM)Sweetness Wrote: Just think if the Bengals actually tried to scored points at the end of a half. We probably could be top 5 with that!

Why do so many people believe that we can score every time before halftime when we have not scored every other time we have possessed the ball.

When a team goes into "hurry up" mode they are more likely to make mistakes.  and when the defense does not have to play the run they have a big advantage.  They are much more likely to get a pick with everyone in coverage.
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2015, 10:18 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Probably that it seems the Bengals typically come out in the third quarter and play lethargic. If Marvin is the one giving the motivational speech at halftime, it doesn't seem to be effective since the team typically seems to play its worst in the third quarter.

See post #9.
Reply/Quote
Other impressive team stats

Offense

#2 in yards per pass attempt
#3 in yards per play
#5 in QB sack percentage
#6 in points per play
#7 in points per drive
#9 in percentage of scoring drives

Defense

#1 in rushing tds
#3 in rushing first downs
#4 in yards per completion
#6 in yards per point
#7 in points per drive
#8 in points per play

And although it is neaither good or bad it is interesting to note that Bengals are #3 in the league in percentage of running plays
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2015, 04:04 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Why do so many people believe that we can score every time before halftime when we have not scored every other time we have possessed the ball.

When a team goes into "hurry up" mode they are more likely to make mistakes.  and when the defense does not have to play the run they have a big advantage.  They are much more likely to get a pick with everyone in coverage

How many times do you see teams march right down the field when a team is in prevent defense? We don't have to score toichdowns. There are times we barely need 20 yards to be in field goal range and they don't even try. And no one is saying we can/will score every time. But how many times do games come down to a field goal for a win or tie? Three points can make the biggest difference in the world. It gets frustrating watching them just sit on the ball every time and seeing other top teams go for it.
Reply/Quote
It's not a fiery speech that's needed, it's halftime adjustments. Historically speaking.
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2015, 11:28 AM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Points is where it matters for sure. Hopefully we can keep improving on both sides
of the ball Offensively scoring more points and not leaving anything on the field and on
Defense tackling better so players like SSS don't burn us later on.

That's for sure.

I wish the NFL would keep points allowed by the defense and points scored by the offense. Currently, the defense gets all the points allowed even if it's points allowed by special teams or an offensive turnover returned for points.

But overall points are the most important thing.

Reply/Quote
(10-01-2015, 04:59 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Other impressive team stats

Offense

#2 in yards per pass attempt
#3 in yards per play
#5 in QB sack percentage
#6 in points per play
#7 in points per drive
#9 in percentage of scoring drives

Defense

#1 in rushing tds
#3 in rushing first downs

#4 in yards per completion
#6 in yards per point
#7 in points per drive
#8 in points per play

And although it is neaither good or bad it is interesting to note that Bengals are #3 in the league in percentage of running plays

I find this interesting our run defense is ranked so high as I see many fans trash 2 of run defenders (Peko and Rey M.). Ninja  Confused

How is it our defense can perform at this high level with 2 garbage players in the eyes of many fans. Sarcasm
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
I was surprised we were only #15 (well tied for 14 really) in Time of Possession. It seems like we've been playing some great ball control football. We definitely had a huge advantage in the first half of the Baltimore game.

Reply/Quote
(10-01-2015, 08:04 PM)TGISunday Wrote: It's not a fiery speech that's needed, it's halftime adjustments.  Historically speaking.

Teams make adjustments every drive not just at half time.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
Bengals are up 52-6 by halftime so far in games this season.
[Image: 43325991030_4d39723a8f.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2015, 04:02 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Doesn't seem so obvious to me.

The last two seasons the Bengals have ranked 7th and 11th in points scored in the third quarter.  So the Bengals offense is performing better than most other teams in the third quarter.

Sunday we came out of the locker room and had a 10 play 61 yard drive that ended with an interception.  Don't know how you can say this is proof that we always come out "flat".  I really doubt that a better halftime speech would have eliminated that turnover.

(10-03-2015, 11:55 AM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: Bengals are up 52-6 by halftime so far in games this season.

This.
Reply/Quote