Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
We'll finally get a good look at Shawn Williams.
I liked the pick when we drafted this guy, but I have not really seen much of what he can do other than on special teams and goal line situations. Since both Iloka and Nelso will be free agents it is very important that we see exactly what we have in Williams. This Sunday we will find out more Because he is starting in place of Iloka.

Iloka injured himself in the Charger game, but tried to play against the Ravens. He took himself out of the game early in the second half with what i assume was the same injury. I hope Williams plays well enough that we can give Iloka all the time he needs to recover 100%.
Reply/Quote
Yeah, I've had some doubts about Williams, but really what it is is that I just haven't gotten a chance to see him. Of course Iloka left a high bar to measure up to. If Williams even in the same neighborhood of that level of talent I'll be pretty happy.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
As much as I want to see Williams... I'd rather see Iloka out there. Hoping its a quick recovery, but I think it will be a lingering ankle issue for most of the year. Williams has played serviceably so far... but he was behind the TE on the last Flacco throw last Sunday which could have been completed IMO.

Hopefully he doesn't become a liability.

He is a Georgia player though, so I have high hopes.
Reply/Quote
Williams covering Kelce? Wow, could be a closer game than I first though..

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
If there's a game where my worries about Williams' struggles vs.downfield passing would be minimized, it's against Alex Smith.
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2015, 08:01 PM)TGISunday Wrote: If there's a game where my worries about Williams' struggles vs.downfield passing would be minimized, it's against Alex Smith.

Agree, especially since the WR threat is minimal and Kelce can and should be doubled all game.  
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2015, 08:01 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Williams covering Kelce?  Wow, could be a closer game than I first though..

Exactly my thoughts as well. However, KC's o-line is shitty and dunlap / johnson could have a field day with alex smith not to mention geno as well. Our pass rush may remedy this possible bad match-up with kelce.
Reply/Quote
Williams at the very least seems to be a sure tackler. I am anxious to see him play as well. I would rather have Iloka out there, but it is good to get the backup some experience.
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2015, 06:41 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I liked the pick when we drafted this guy, but I have not really seen much of what he can do other than on special teams and goal line situations.  Since both Iloka and Nelso will be free agents it is very important that we see exactly what we have in Williams.  This Sunday we will find out more Because he is starting in place of Iloka.  

Iloka injured himself in the Charger game, but tried to play against the Ravens.  He took himself out of the game early in the second half with what i assume was the same injury.  I hope Williams plays well enough that we can give Iloka all the time he needs to recover 100%.

We need him to shine like our other two Dawgs from Georgia, Mr Atkins and Mr Green!

This is his chance to shine and show he's ready to play with the Big Boys!
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2015, 06:41 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I liked the pick when we drafted this guy, but I have not really seen much of what he can do other than on special teams and goal line situations.  Since both Iloka and Nelso will be free agents it is very important that we see exactly what we have in Williams.  This Sunday we will find out more Because he is starting in place of Iloka.  

Iloka injured himself in the Charger game, but tried to play against the Ravens.  He took himself out of the game early in the second half with what i assume was the same injury.  I hope Williams plays well enough that we can give Iloka all the time he needs to recover 100%.

If this is true and Iloka sits, the Chiefs have an opportunity to make this a very close game. Kelce is a top five TE IMO, and if he is able to get going it could spark things for a talented Chiefs offense (Maclin, Charles, etc).
Formerly w8ing 4 '08
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2015, 12:14 PM)corpjet Wrote: We need him to shine like our other two Dawgs from Georgia, Mr Atkins and Mr Green!

Don't forget Boling.

Obviously not on the same level as Green and Atkins, but still a very solid starter.
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2015, 01:40 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Don't forget Boling.

Obviously not on the same level as Green and Atkins, but still a very solid starter.

Boling has been a very pleasant surprise since his ACL surgery.  One of the better LGs in the game right now. 
Reply/Quote
Honestly, i thought Shawn was going to be a better Safety than George coming out of college but that
has not been the case just cause George has been so damn good. Nothing bad on Shawn, he is a very
good tackler that can lay the wood and he can cover, just not to Iloka's level.

This should be a good game to evaluate him, Kelce is a great TE to go against and i would be more
comfortable with George covering him but if he is not healthy go with the healthy guy.

Like others said, with Geno, Dunlap, MJ and Gilberry getting pressure on Alex Smith it should take lots
of the pressure off of the entire Secondary.
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2015, 07:58 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: As much as I want to see Williams... I'd rather see Iloka out there. Hoping its a quick recovery, but I think it will be a lingering ankle issue for most of the year. Williams has played serviceably so far... but he was behind the TE on the last Flacco throw last Sunday which could have been completed IMO.

Hopefully he doesn't become a liability.

He is a Georgia player though, so I have high hopes.
Glad Williams is going to get snaps early in the season so he will be more prepared when he will be needed later in the season and beyond. You can bet he will be targeted by the QB.
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2015, 07:38 PM)Derrick Wrote: Glad Williams is going to get snaps early in the season so he will be more prepared when he will be needed later in the season and beyond. You can bet he will be targeted by the QB.

If the QB has time.
Reply/Quote
Let Iloka rest up a week.
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote
I don't expect it, but for all we know Shawn Williams might just take Iloka's starting job away. In a way that might be great news especially if Iloka is gone next year to free agency ..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(10-03-2015, 09:33 PM)grampahol Wrote: I don't expect it, but for all we know Shawn Williams might just take Iloka's starting job away. In a way that might be great news especially if Iloka is gone next year to free agency ..

It's nice having good depth isn't it? 
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote

Me too. And I think the Bengals should re-sign Iloka for sure. Maybe get a one year extension out of Nelson. But if Williams or Derron Smith start to show up, I think they may let Nelson walk due to his age.
Reply/Quote