Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
O- Line Blocking Gave A Run Game And A Win
Bengals O Line has been insulted for 4 years, and they deserved every bit of it. So when they do good, I'm going to say they did good.

3 of those sacks on Burrow were on the running backs or the tight end. I know 2 where the running backs missed their blocking assignment. One where Sample missed his block and that was the one Burrow came up limping, the blown TE Block. The first sack of Burrow came on a razzle dazzle call of Zac Taylor. A fake hand-off to RB and play action pass with no designed pass blocking, and Vikings did not bite on Zac trick play.

The over 100 yards by Mixon and other RBs. There were times in this game that the O Line was moving Vikings backwards and opening running lanes. The front 5 did a good job today, and again, most of the sacks were not on them, but other players.

So in this WIN, I want to praise the O Line Blocking today. NOT JUST PASS BLOCKING. You can not just Pass, Pass, Pass, Pass all day. This is NOT Madden Football Game. Bengals mixed in the RUN with the PASS, which is Winning Football. The O Line moved the Bengals up the field enough times to WIN. They Pass Blocked, but they also Fired Off and did Run Blocking.

That was the best I have seen The Bengals O Line Blocking since 2016. After 2016 Whitworth and Zeitler were gone and Blocking was Awful next 4 years. I liked what I saw of The New O Line of 2021. Again, just about all of those pass sacks were on running backs or tight end Sample. Burrow did not have players in his face all game. He did not get popped every play.

I know everybody likes to talk QBs, WR's, RB's, the new kicker. But without the improved Blocking they don't win this game. Now The D did great. They Blocked and they Tackled and THAT is how you WIN Games. Mixon doesn't cross Goal Line, Chase doesn't score, Nobody scores without todays Blocking.

In this WIN, I want to give credit to the 5 starters on The O Line. The O Line gets blamed in defeat, they deserve credit in Victory. The Big 300 pounders went 4 quarters and all of a 5th quarter Overtime in extreme Summer Heat, which is hard on 300 pounders. They gave the best Blocking this team has seen in 5 years, and The Big Guys deserve to be mentioned. Not just for pass blocking, but for Run Blocking and for moving this team down field enough times to get THE WIN.

GO BENGALS..... Tiger Tiger Tiger Tiger Tiger ......Way to go O Line.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
It wasn't just the run blocking or the RBs, but the coaches that stuck with the run and didn't abandon it when it wasn't starting off at a 5 ypc clip. Those early runs were a part of what helped Mixon excel down the stretch.

Mixon's longest run was 19 yards, but that still left close to 4 ypc outside of that run and that consistent pounding, which also avoids putting Burrow in long down and distance was no doubt critical in getting the win.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Yesterday’s effort reminded me of 2009 and that’s not a bad thing. Against the Vikings the Bengals threw 27 passes and ran the ball 36 times.
Reply/Quote
I like how they had XSF pulling to the right and help make a,lane for Mixon. I expect to see more that
Going foward
Reply/Quote
Way too much running yesterday. We have 3 dangerous WR's, and barely used them. I know they are trying to ease Burrow in, but I hope to see more downfield passes next week.
Reply/Quote
Agree they looked a lot better.

Cannot let Burrow get sacked 5 times a game though. (I know maybe not all specifically on the Oline.) Whatever the reason that has to get better. Watching him limp off after one of those wasn't fun.
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2021, 09:48 AM)R3stangs Wrote: Agree they looked a lot better.

Cannot let Burrow get sacked 5 times a game though. (I know maybe not all specifically on the Oline.) Whatever the reason that has to get better. Watching him limp off after one of those wasn't fun.

Remember all the  Cry about how much money Gio made? Yeah well, that's why.
Reply/Quote
2 sacks were on Trey Hopkins (and yes had we had Gio I expect neither one happens because he sees the free rusher and blocks). Perine also whiffed twice on his assigned block and Sample whiffed once too. The Guards and Tackles were stout.
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2021, 09:46 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Way too much running yesterday. We have 3 dangerous WR's, and barely used them. I know they are trying to ease Burrow in, but I hope to see more downfield passes next week.

I know how you feel and somewhat feel the same way but it is interesting to note that as of this moment Mixon leads the league in rushing. Hopefully this means defenses gear more towards stopping him than Burrow. 

Reply/Quote
I bring this back an hour before Bears Game

In order to beat Bears, The Bengals O Line needs to BLOCK again this week.

I'm not impressed with Bears quarterbacks or offense other than Montgomery at RB. I don't think much of Bears passing game and to Vikings are a better offense. However I don't think much of Bengals back-up QB either. Zac likes him more than I do. The jury is still out on Bengals O Line, but they need to get Mixon yards and protect Burrow.

We do need Bengals RBs and TE Sample to Block better than last week. They were the ones that missed their blocks and caused Burrow to come up limping.

If Burrow plays the whole game and Mixon gains yards, the The Bengals O Line will be BLOCKING again and The Bengals will beat the Bears. If Bengals O Line BLOCKs, The Bengals WIN. Burrow, Mixon, Chase, Higgins, Boyd, Uzomah, will beat the Bears, but Only If The O Line BLOCKS again this week.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote