Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
O-Line Cost Us a Championship
(02-22-2022, 05:40 PM)fredtoast Wrote: They will "figure it out" by signing lesser talent.

Every year when free agency rolls around there is a long list of players called "cap casualties", and still people here claim that every other team in the league signs and keeps every player they want under the cap.  How are both of those things true?

Somehow the bengals rarely seem to have “cap casualties” because they are too loyal.

While not the best, I’m pretty intelligent when it comes to this. If you can’t invest in a good OL… mixon and boyd have to go. Those are luxuries I guess a team with top 4 cap space can afford. I just find it hard to believe that this team couldn’t have done more last year.

Let’s say they signed thuney last year to the same contract the chiefs did (bengals probably would have had to pay more , if we are being honest)… do you not think the bengals could handle his 17m cap hit this year, or 19, 19.5 and 19.5 in future years?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2022, 05:47 PM)Bengalbug Wrote:  do you not think the bengals could handle his 17m cap hit this year, or 19, 19.5 and 19.5 in future years?

The only way to "handle" it would be to sign lesser talent.

Right now we have 49 million to re-sign 6 starters plus two key rotation guys (Hill, Topuo).  Take away Thuney's 18 million and that just leaves 31 million for those 8 players, or a little under $4 million each.

There are other things we could do like release Waynes to create another $10 million, but overall we would be signing cheaper players than the ones we are replacing.
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2022, 05:54 PM)fredtoast Wrote: The only way to "handle" it would be to sign lesser talent.

Right now we have 49 million to re-sign 6 starters plus two key rotation guys (Hill, Topuo).  Take away Thuney's 18 million and that just leaves 31 million for those 8 players, or a little under $4 million each.

There are other things we could do like release Waynes to create another $10 million, but overall we would be signing cheaper players than the ones we are replacing.

I also mentioned letting go of boyd and mixon. I’m assuming you intentionally removed that from the reply? Again, you have a way of manipulating things, and it’s not cool.
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2022, 06:07 PM)Bengalbug Wrote: I also mentioned letting go of boyd and mixon.  I’m assuming you intentionally removed that from the reply?  Again, you have a way of manipulating things, and it’s not cool.

Getting rid of Mixon and Boyd just creates more holes to fill.

And I never "removed" anything.  I clearly said there were other things we could do to create more cap space.  I just said it would involve signing lesser talent as replacement.

Waynes seems obvious because he did nto contribute much to our winning, but Boyd and Mixon are top players who will not be cheap or easy to replace.
Reply/Quote
The cap hit of moving Mixon is too big this year.
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2022, 05:12 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Yes, they've spent draft picks on the line. They've just never attacked it with any true seriousness in free agency.

Our biggest signings/trades were Cordy Glenn and Riley Reiff. Neither of those guys were all that impressive additions, tbh...and that's the best we did in 6 years. Lots of bargain bin stuff aside from that.

True...and sorry it took so long to respond.

I think it is clear the Bengals have grossly undervalued the guard position.  Odd, given the one first rounder they used on one recently (Zeitler) was a real good player.  
Reply/Quote