Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 3.4 Average
O-Line Rankings Have Me Excited!
(09-09-2023, 10:39 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Why would we put LC at LT?  Surely we would slide Jonah back to LT and LC to RT dont you think?

You have more faith in Smith and Ford than I do,  I wish I could get to zero.

I never said Collins at LT...?

My two options if Brown ever went down would either be Carman at LT, keep Jonah at RT, or slide Jonah to LT and put Collins at RT.
If Collins isn't back yet, it's Carman at LT 100%.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2023, 06:19 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I never said Collins at LT...?

My two options if Brown ever went down would either be Carman at LT, keep Jonah at RT, or slide Jonah to LT and put Collins at RT.
If Collins isn't back yet, it's Carman at LT 100%.

I was agreeing with your comment when you said: ochocincos Wrote:  "I dunno if I would put Collins at LT honestly after seeing how he played last year."

Reply/Quote
(09-10-2023, 06:13 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I dunno if it's purely because of Pollack's (lack of) coaching or the fact none of these starters played hardly a snap in preseason games and thus just weren't ready (or both), but it's clearly yet another slow start like every season under Taylor.

Its a combination of things.  First is coaching.  Pollack is just not a good O-line coach.  Also, Taylor refusing to play his starters in preseason ALWAYS comes back to hurt this team.  The first two preseason games for the O-line cant be the first two games of the regular season playing against Cleveland and Baltimore.  Its too late by that point.  Taylor has learned exactly nothing from his mistakes of not playing the starters in preseason.  And yet he does it every single year and we hear excuses why that's not the problem.  Taylor is a mediocre head coach that has success because he has a great DC that keeps the Bengals in every game and because on offense he just has a team loaded with talent at the skill positions.  As far as being a good X's and O's coach, he is not good.

As far as people expecting the O-line to be great this year, why would anybody think that?  We have one good LT in Brown. One slightly above average guard in Cappa.  Karras is a mediocre center, Volson was below average and Williams led the NFL in sacks allowed at 12 last year and allowed 8 the year before when he was "healthy".  All those parts dont equal a great line, they equal a mediocre line.
Reply/Quote
Pollack has been let go multiple times by several organizations. We don’t have super talent on the line but probably the best that Zac Taylor and Joe B have had. Never been sold on Pollack. Mixon loved it when we hired him again. I’m not sure why cause we don’t run the ball.

Cleveland was very creative with the line placement Myles Garrett also. Lined him up over Karras often rather than Brown.
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have. Vince Lombardi
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2023, 05:57 PM)Rattler Wrote: O Line looked as bad as any the Bengals have ever fielded...no push, no protection, no pocket, nothing but epic fail.

Pollack SUCKS!

Line was bad but Burrow was just as bad.. he did not help his line any either. with not completing passes and being in 3rd and longs were part his fault and part line fault. they went hand in hand today.. but trust me ive been frustrated with Pollack more than any coach...
Reply/Quote
I’m really worried about Orlando Brown Jr. He seemed slow and struggled a lot against speed rushers. Maybe I overrated him given that he had made some Pro Bowls, but I kinda see why a lot of Chiefs fans didn’t feel like his loss was a big deal.

Hopefully he and the rest of the team can recover.
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2023, 08:54 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: Its a combination of things.  First is coaching.  Pollack is just not a good O-line coach.  Also, Taylor refusing to play his starters in preseason ALWAYS comes back to hurt this team.  The first two preseason games for the O-line cant be the first two games of the regular season playing against Cleveland and Baltimore.  Its too late by that point.  Taylor has learned exactly nothing from his mistakes of not playing the starters in preseason.  And yet he does it every single year and we hear excuses why that's not the problem.  Taylor is a mediocre head coach that has success because he has a great DC that keeps the Bengals in every game and because on offense he just has a team loaded with talent at the skill positions.  As far as being a good X's and O's coach, he is not good.

As far as people expecting the O-line to be great this year, why would anybody think that?  We have one good LT in Brown. One slightly above average guard in Cappa.  Karras is a mediocre center, Volson was below average and Williams led the NFL in sacks allowed at 12 last year and allowed 8 the year before when he was "healthy".  All those parts dont equal a great line, they equal a mediocre line.

I think Taylor is a good coach and a bad OC. Gameplanning is suspect too.
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2023, 09:11 PM)Boomer Anderson Wrote: Pollack has been let go multiple times by several organizations. We don’t have super talent on the line but probably the best that Zac Taylor and Joe B have had. Never been sold on Pollack. Mixon loved it when we hired him again. I’m not sure why cause we don’t run the ball.

Cleveland was very creative with the line placement Myles Garrett also. Lined him up over Karras often rather than Brown.

His claim to fame is coaching a Dallas line that was loaded. And I think they let him go.
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2023, 10:59 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: His claim to fame is coaching a Dallas line that was loaded. And I think they let him go.

exactly

It's because you are of such profound wisdom, Frank Booth. - SunsetBengal
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2023, 10:40 PM)twisted Wrote: I’m really worried about Orlando Brown Jr.  He seemed slow and struggled a lot against speed rushers.  Maybe I overrated him given that he had made some Pro Bowls, but I kinda see why a lot of Chiefs fans didn’t feel like his loss was a big deal.

He's a Top 10-15 LT, but he's not elite.

The Chiefs let him go and brought a different tackle in.
Reply/Quote
He ran that line into a ditch once Callahan left for Washington. That’s why Dallas let him go.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2023, 07:25 PM)casear2727 Wrote: I was agreeing with your comment when you said: ochocincos Wrote:  "I dunno if I would put Collins at LT honestly after seeing how he played last year."

Ahh, sorry.
The way you phrased your first sentence sounded like you were asking me why I would put Collins at LT.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
I nominate this thread as the best aged thread in the entire history of the internet.. Your prediction was uncanny! I'm placing my bet on the fate of humankind in the year 2525 based on it now..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
I would love to know what happened on the first sack of the game. Smith went outside of Williams and was untouched on his way to Burrow. Williams blocked the inside guy. Someone want to 'splain that one to me? I'm really just about done with Williams, but I'm not sure that was his assignment. Was there supposed to be a TE there or something.
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2023, 11:00 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: He's a Top 10-15 LT, but he's not elite.

The Chiefs let him go and brought a different tackle in.

He is in top 85% of tackles , which is a great improvement of what we have had
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2023, 10:40 PM)twisted Wrote: I’m really worried about Orlando Brown Jr. He seemed slow and struggled a lot against speed rushers. Maybe I overrated him given that he had made some Pro Bowls, but I kinda see why a lot of Chiefs fans didn’t feel like his loss was a big deal.

Brown was fine. He allowed 1 pressure and 0 sacks yesterday.

Reply/Quote
(09-10-2023, 10:59 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: His claim to fame is coaching a Dallas line that was loaded. And I think they let him go.

My hope was that since he came up under Callahan he might be the next best thing. But it obviously hasn’t worked out so far.

Reply/Quote
(09-10-2023, 10:40 PM)twisted Wrote: I’m really worried about Orlando Brown Jr. He seemed slow and struggled a lot against speed rushers. Maybe I overrated him given that he had made some Pro Bowls, but I kinda see why a lot of Chiefs fans didn’t feel like his loss was a big deal.

Also, KC’s new OT’s were terrible against Detroit. They’d gladly take OBj back right now.

Reply/Quote
Whether they're good or not, they definitely looked like a bad match for Burrow yesterday. Whether he was hurt, they were rusty or and/or it was just a one-off, I don't know. But they were clearly not ready for showtime.

Good thing is they have solid, proven veteran leadership now, from right to left. So they should respond like pros. But definitely a rough start. Not exactly breaking any news there.
Reply/Quote
Really? Our OL that played zero game speed snaps together since last season had problems with being out of sync and communications against a top DL and we're suddenly back to this? Blame the REAL culprits - Zac Taylor and Joe Burrow.

Zac knew full well about the rain and that Joe was favoring his calf among other things. The field conditions were made for power running. Mixon can do it. We have a line of maulers. So what do we do? Go out in spread almost every play and put everyone on an island against that DL. It was literally a dream setup for a DL. Instead they should have been out there in Jumbo running power. Grind it out until the line has some comfort. And how about passes to the middle of the field? Or bubbles and other routes designed to help receivers shed coverage?

And yes Joe too. His accuracy was missing completely. His pocket awareness was spotty and even when he had the opportunities failed to cash them. He played horribly. And even with everything he had opportunities.
Reply/Quote